Author Topic: Breaking Wealth By Level With A 2 Level Dip  (Read 6541 times)

Offline OldManAlexi

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Breaking Wealth By Level With A 2 Level Dip
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
I was looking through the Eberron Campaign Setting book and I found a simple method of breaking the Wealth By Level limit.  Now, there are already a number of ways to do this.  Plus, the level 14 requirement makes it rather slow.  However, it is unique in that it is available to any class, from wizard to commoner. 

You need 5 things:
  • You need to be native to Eberron.
  • You need to be human.  Being a member of House Cannith is preferable but not required.
  • You need to not have taken any feats to get a dragonmark.
  • You need to have 15 ranks in any 2 skills... which basically means you need to be a level 12 character.
  • You need to have the Heroic Spirit feat.
So, other than a single feat, this could work off a perfectly normal build. 

Now, the next step is to enter the Heir of Siberys PrC.  This gives you a Siberys dragonmark at level 2.  The Siberys Mark of Making lets you cast True Creation once a day as a spell-like ability. 

True Creation is an interesting spell that is only available from a single Eberron-specific domain.  It allows the caster to permanently (or more properly, instantaneously) conjure physical substances in exchange for 1 XP per 1 GP of the item's cost.  However, spell-like abilities do not have XP costs so a True Creation spell-like ability gives you physical substances for free. 

That's it.  No tricks.  Just a perfectly normal build for 12 levels and two levels into a PrC will give you infinite gold.  Though, I would advise you not to accidentally conjure so much gold that it buries the entire continent. 

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking Wealth By Level With A 2 Level Dip
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:32:25 AM »
There was errata for that. 

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
The Meta
Goal: Craft a piece of gold, market value 1gp.
Cost: 1/2 the market price in raw materials, 0.5gp.
Profit: +0.5gp each cycle.
Time Spent: +(1/2 check)gp profit per week.

The Observation
Master Wizard Tim decides to observe the paradoxical nature of gold. Can it be created? Can it be destroyed? Maybe it can only be transformed?

He arranges an experiment and created two extraplanar spaces with nothing in it. For control the first contains one half of a gold piece. the second one contains Bob, a Dwarven Commoner who exclusive works as a black smith. His workshop and masterwork smithing hammer contain no trace amounts of gold and after an intimate examination of the dwarf he doesn't either. He is placed in the second space and sealed in for a month with bread and water.

Tim opens the space and finds the Dwarf holding 92 pieces of gold expertly crafted. His control experiment shows a 0.00001% gold loss due to oxidization.

What can this experiment teach us about metal?

The student's smartass reply
The dwarf poops gold, feed him more bread.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:01:18 AM »
Supposing D&D matter is homogenous and infinitely divisible (instead of being made of molecules, atoms, and such), and assuming the Axiom of Choice is true, you can totally double an object by cutting it up and reassembling the pieces.  Take that conservation of mass. 

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
That explains why I can never finish a puzzle, those damn pieces truly are multiplying.

Why do my socks vanish through? I know their not multiplying when I run out of white and have to half/half it.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
Can't you craft three GP out of 1? After all, mundane goods cost 1/3 their market value to craft.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
Crafting 3gp out of 1gp is clearly the source of inflation in the Roman Empire. >> <<

Don't be deceived. He's gilding the bread.

I'm not sure how you figure a gold piece can be raw material for another gold piece. If it's a finished product, melting it back into its constituent parts gives 1/3rd gold, 2/3rd negligibly cheap metal, presumably, since it was made out of 1/3rd its value in raw materials. If it's raw material, crafting it into another gold piece would be trying to craft raw material into raw material and that doesn't precisely make sense; rather, the blacksmith could use a gold piece to craft a 3gp gold ring, which ... increases the value without increasing the mass at all.

*looks up* I mean, I realize the forum we're in, but I still don't quite get it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:33:24 PM by Kajhera »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
Why do my socks vanish through?

You keep neglecting to feed them, so they've turned to cannibalism, obviously. 

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »
 :twitch ... the socks are a Larval form of a Bag Of Devouring ?!
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 05:33:22 PM »
If it's raw material, crafting it into another gold piece would be trying to craft raw material into raw material and that doesn't precisely make sense; rather, the blacksmith could use a gold piece to craft a 3gp gold ring, which ... increases the value without increasing the mass at all.

*looks up* I mean, I realize the forum we're in, but I still don't quite get it.

An unfinished rubik's cube is a raw material, and a finished one is the end product :-P

Gold is fiat currency anyway though, so none of it really makes sense.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:07:43 AM »
I think with the case of making three gold pieces, the raw material is not a gold coin but one gp worth of gold ore. Just like a suit of plate armour isn't made by hammering five hundred gold coins.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
We know what you're meaning there, it's just an observation on how silly the rules can be.