Author Topic: The Dungeon Level  (Read 41398 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
The Dungeon Level
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:30 AM »
You awake in the Yawning Portal Inn, the most famous inn in all of Waterdeep.  The inn gets its name from the 40-foot well that thrusts up from Undermountain below into the center of the common room.  A waist-high cobblestone wall helps keep the inn's patrons safe from a perilous fall into the depths.  Above the well is a pully system the size of a Halfling.  The pully's massive rope hoists would-be treasure seekers up and down the well into the topmost level of Halaster's Hold: The Dungeon Level.

The area gets its name from the practice employed by the Lords of Waterdeep to drop convicted criminals into the halls as punishment for their misdeeds.  What is known is that this first level of Undermountain receives the most traffic.  Most adventuring types fail to penetrate into the deeper sections of the massive complex.  It is rumored that there are hidden entrances and exits to this level in the city's sewer system and connected to several of the city's noble houses.  What you are certain of, however, is that this is the easiest and most well-known of entrances.

The inkeep, a massive bulk of a human named Durnan, is the strong silent type but as you prepare to venture forth into the darkness he says: "Tymora's luck be with you.  Ye'll surely need it."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:59:15 PM by Gnomeo »
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
Re: The Dungeon Level
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »
Gorbug grabs a basket and stuffs his breakfast in it.  "I'll take mine to go." Flicking a gold piece to the pully operator, he sits leisurely on the rope's seat munching a quarter loaf of stale bread as he descends.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:59:36 PM by Gnomeo »

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:39:36 PM »
"... Hey, wait for me!  You said we could travel together!  And what did you do to the pants I bought you?!"

Myri shouts as she  quickly stands up from the table and gathers her things.  She hurriedly moves to the well, and after fishing a coin out of her pocket, waits for the return of the rope seat.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
"I don't wear tights!" Is the Half-orc's response. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to lower the hulking warrior to the bottom, and another five to bring the seat back up.

Wasting no time, the pulley operator begins lowering Myrielle as soon as he sees her sitting. She arrives at the bottom with little issue. When she exits the seat, Gorbug places the empty basket on a hook for the return trip.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:59:56 PM by Gnomeo »

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
"I don't wear tights!" Is the Half-orc's response. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to lower the hulking warrior to the bottom, and another five to bring the seat back up.

Wasting no time, the pulley operator begins lowering Myrielle as soon as he sees her sitting. She arrives at the bottom with little issue. When she exits the seat, Gorbug places the empty basket on a hook for the return trip.

When the pulley basket returns to the surface of the well, Sythaeryn hops in for the descent into darkness. Grasping the holy symbol around his neck, he mutters a quick prayer to himself:

In the depth a light will grow, A silver shine no shadows know, Like wings unfolding in the sky, That circle 'round a gleaming eye, Turning darkness all away, Even depths will know their day, For every shadow has its end, In light! Life will return again!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:00:14 PM by Gnomeo »
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
After the cleric has made his journey down the well and the bucket has returned, Melisander takes his place on the contraption. Making sure all his items are secure, he gives the innkeeper a simple nod and off he goes, descending into the darkness.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »
You are standing in a circular room covered in a thick layer of fine sand. Judging by the slope and thickness of this room's only corridor exit, the sand is roughly two feet thick. The room has no light sources, and the light seen at the tavern level far above you fails miserably to filter down here.

There are shields affixed to the walls in a decorative fashion around the room. They appear to have once borne the symbols of noble houses, though time has not been kind to them.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
You're not there long before a commotion can be heard coming from the corridor. The sound of claws on stone moving quickly in your direction.

Sure enough, a deer bursts from the corridor and runs past you to the wall furthest from the corridor entry. Hot on its tail is a lizard the size of a small horse, scrambling to gain purchase on the hard stone floor of the corridor. A saddle rests on the beast's back.

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
His breath is starting to get away from him.  The lizard he is chasing already out of sight around the corridor wall.  He scampers after the beast, staff trailing behind in his right hand.  As he rounds the corner after the lizard a brief surge of surprise crosses his face.  He is not alone here, and breaks concentration just long enough to briefly access the figures in the room.  The deer which the lizard was chasing vanishes.

Finish the task at hand

Attention redirected upon his quarry he twists his left hand, fingers pinching together momentarily balled into a fist.  He shoots his arm out in the direction of the lizard, fingers now straight as the head of a spear and mutters the words Lonsa Ors

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:00:21 PM by Divalo »
You know where you are!?  You in the Myrkviðr baby!  You gonna diiiiiiiiiieee!

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
The lizard roars in pain as the bolt of energy slams into its side. Turning from the place it last saw its meal, it crouches low and hisses at the Gnome in the corridor entry.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
Not wanting to be on the wrong side of a lizard bite, Melisader gestures with his hands toward the beast, softly speaking the words "Pilin naur". A bolt of flaming energy shoots forth from the crystal in his headband, aimed toward the lizard.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
The light from across the room is momentarily blinding.  Blinking away the glare from the spell he thinks he made out four silhouettes.  The caster was as an elf.  A group of elves perhaps.  Something larger too and, lightly attired...

Refocusing on the lizard he asks a favor of the darkness again, his left hand sweeps the air again in the direction of the beast "Lonsa Ors" and energy strikes out from his fingers

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:56 AM »
Suddenly beset upon on all sides, the lizard drops to the sand and turns slightly to one side, exposing its belly.  It appears this beast has known beatings in the past.  Likely it has something to do with the saddle still strapped to its back.  It lies there in the middle of the room, motionless.

Throughout the encounter, Gorbug has yet to show any sign of movement.  He appears to be observing the actions of the rest of you.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 01:18:22 AM »
Sythaeryn does not move against the lizard. Instead, he watches the spectacle unfold before him while maintaining his guard.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Myrielle places her hand on the pommel of her rapier just in case she finds herself a target.  But rather than drawing the blade, her curiosity gets the better of her.

"Hey mister?  Why are you hurting that lizard did it provoke you somehow i mean clearly it’s been domesticated you can tell by the saddle and even if the owner isn't around it’s probably just hungry which is why it was chasing that deer speaking of which one of the people I talked to yesterday said that there was an underground forest down here and that if i wanted to find the fey which i do then we should try and find it so can we head in the direction from where the deer came please of course the lizard looks pretty angry now so maybe we have no choice but to defend ourselves and i really don’t appreciate you making that decision for me so next time can you ask before involving the rest of us thanks"
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »
He eyes the beast on it's side.  A creature many times his size, teeth and claws built to eviscerate and chew little morsels like him.  Still he can't help feeling sorry for it.  Repressing a pang of guilt and keeping the lizard in peripheral vision he addresses the elf. 

"That's quite odd really.  I don't recall making any decisions for you... think I'd remember if I had.  And if I had, minding I didn't, I might have decided that you want to share any provisions you might have so I'd no longer need to continue harming this poor beast of burden.  You see I've found food to be rather scarce down here.  But like I said I don't recall making any decisions for anyone.  What I do recall is being lost in this infernal dungeon for who knows how long until I was happened upon by this beast and it's master.  Then being chased through the dark until that lovely deer offered the distraction I needed to dismount and deal with this one's rider.  A humanoid lizard.  Lizards riding lizards, heh.  Eat or be eaten was the choice presented to me.  What would you have chosen?  For yourself mind you, as I'm not making those decisions if that isn't clear yet."

Taking one more good look at the lizard the gnome now turns to receive what reply may come. 

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
Gorbug says, "Silly Elf. That deer wasn't real. It was a trick this Gnome used to herd its prey. If you don't believe me, then ask yourself how it managed to run across a room of sand without leaving a trail. This one has a hunter's instinct."

Turning to the Gnome, he says, "Slaughter the animal if you wish, but after a short trip up the shaft above you will be in a tavern with hot meals and hard beds. Or we could just have them send your breakfast down.  Capable hunters are in short supply down here. Not to mention warriors capable of defeating one of the Talon Clan."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:00:49 PM by Gnomeo »

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
"Shaft above?  What shaft above?  There's no..."  He looks up for the first time in this room and sees there is indeed a shaft and a dim light far above.  Also a rope and bucket. 

Having forgotten about the lizard

"Oh my... that leads where?  That leads out?  But you, you lot are coming in?  Why?  Are you deranged?  This place is full of... do I smell bread?" 

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Pointing to the shaft above, the Half-orc says, "This leads to the Yawning Portal. Worst bread in all of Waterdeep, but it is edible. Can't speak for the others, but deranged is a name some have called me. Once. I go into Undermountain to prove my skill and become rich. This is not without some risk."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:01:25 PM by Gnomeo »

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 03:33:03 PM »
"Deranged or not I can see you enjoy living dangerously.  You appear suited for the task"  The gnome takes a brief pause to consider.

He stamps his staff in the sand before him gripping it with both hands just below eye level and addresses the group.  "Wiltix is my name.  I have lost something down here.  My aim is to get it back.  Perhaps I may join in your endeavor to prove your skills and fill your pockets.  Along the way I may find what eludes me as well." 

Wiltix turns to look at the lizard. "An unfortunate introduction meeting like this.  If one here could see to mend the beast it may prove thankful enough to be useful.  Otherwise I feel we should not prolong it's end further."