Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 29570 times)

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
Please post all questions in the Q&A thread.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
Tshern can you confirm for deny that this ability:
Temporal Mastery (Ex)...
...is not required to abide by the usual restrictions of temporal energy. He may affect creatures during a time stop or temporal stasis, as long as he does not harm their physical being. For instance, while he could not tear the head off of an opponent, he could most certainly strip that opponent of all his weaponry and clothing. He may still leave spell effects to take place after the time stop has ended.

Has or has not been used to strip characters of their equipment?

Still going to use a warforged with embedded components, but information is valuable.

Does asking for custom SDA's/Artifacts go into the Q&A thread?
Does asking what goes in the Q&A thread go in the Q&A thread?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:23:23 PM by Shadowmind »

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »
Tshern can you confirm for deny that this ability:
Temporal Mastery (Ex)...
...is not required to abide by the usual restrictions of temporal energy. He may affect creatures during a time stop or temporal stasis, as long as he does not harm their physical being. For instance, while he could not tear the head off of an opponent, he could most certainly strip that opponent of all his weaponry and clothing. He may still leave spell effects to take place after the time stop has ended.

Has or has not been used to strip characters of their equipment?

Still going to use a warforged with embedded components, but information is valuable.
I don't think it has ever even been in the challenge. That is not Merorem's Temporal mastery, so I am guessing that is one of the SDAs PhaedrusXY made. If so, it has never seen any use. Naturally I have not been able to use that at all.

Does asking for custom SDA's/Artifacts go into the Q&A thread?
Does asking what goes in the Q&A thread go in the Q&A thread?
Yes to both.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »

I don't think it has ever even been in the challenge. That is not Merorem's Temporal mastery, so I am guessing that is one of the SDAs PhaedrusXY made. If so, it has never seen any use. Naturally I have not been able to use that at all.

It is the Temporal Mastery that Paradox has, So the can confirm that Paradox isn't likely involved in the challenge.
Still to figure out how that challenger has his equipment stripped. I know of several effects that do that but they all offer saves.

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
Do deific immunities make you immune to a Demi-Lichs trap the soul ability? If not, then as soon as you spot Dispater you could make him succeed on a DC137 Fort save or be trapped in one of your gems. Then you could just teleport back to your home, and wait 24 hours before returning with Dispater consumed.

Then you just need to find Dispater, which is probably the hardest part.
This signature reserved for the first awesome quote!

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Do deific immunities make you immune to a Demi-Lichs trap the soul ability? If not, then as soon as you spot Dispater you could make him succeed on a DC137 Fort save or be trapped in one of your gems. Then you could just teleport back to your home, and wait 24 hours before returning with Dispater consumed.

Then you just need to find Dispater, which is probably the hardest part.
With Soul trap, Cosmic and Abomination aren't immune, deities are. Bypassed by opposed rank checks as normal.

Getting into the Tower I think has occurred with a passed opposed rank check and Reality Revision/Miracle/Wish, but there is probably some sort of Diver Teleport/Anticipate Teleport like effect to make sure those who try that method end up in a unpleasant location.

HeadofVecna made this epic fusion in 2008, and Tshern hesitantly approved it then but he didn't like the Instantaneous duration. Even I think it is overpowered by a bit, for the instantaneous duration and the maintaining the same number of actions as if they were not fused.
But if these could be used as a base then there might be something.
Seed: Transform
Factors: Any type +5, Incorporeal +10, Specific individual +25, 100 HD max +170, Fuses beings rather than shapechange with no loss of abilities +20 (ad hoc)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
Is there a class that actually grants Improved mettle? It would make sense, but I am not sure if I have seen it in a class.

Void Incarnate gives it split into Will and Fort parts (both of which it grants).
Thanks. I was hoping for a low level way of doing that for my future characters, but I guess that is not going to happen. Oh well.

I think the Goliath Rogue 2 racial sub level gives you Mettle (Fort only, but also +4 to Fort saves) and makes the Imp. Evasion from Rogue abilities into Imp. Mettle (for Fort). AFB so I can't check, though.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
So, I talked with TravelLog. Assuming I am the first to finish a challenger, I shall try to defeat Dispater. If not or should I lose, I will help him with the technicalities. However, I would like to ask the rest of you if you consider this to be an okay idea. I have the advantage of knowing how I used to play Dispater, which might help me out. Just tell me what you think.

In any case, my challenger will not find Dispater. I am relatively sure I can figure another way around this.

Also, as a final note here, if anyone would be willing to combine his expertise with my vague ideas and mediocre skills, I would be more than happy to help. I have an idea about how to solve this, but the optimisation details may or may not be beyond me. This, however, only works if the challenger I work on will be the first in line to try. If someone is interested, get in touch through this thread or a PM.

Edit: By the way, the epic Fusion is still not optimised. For a level 70 character, you could take 140d6 backlash.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:30:55 PM by Tshern »
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
Edit: By the way, the epic Fusion is still not optimised. For a level 70 character, you could take 140d6 backlash.

The Power of Friendship [Ritual]
(click to show/hide)

Offline DrHorrible

• Merciless idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »
Dispater is immune to ability drain, right?

Believe.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
Dispater is immune to ability drain, right?
By the virtue of being an Abomination, yes.

Hmm, got a new idea of tricking Dispater, or rather the DM, a bit. If anyone is interested in a co-project, give me a holler.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
So, I talked with TravelLog. Assuming I am the first to finish a challenger, I shall try to defeat Dispater. If not or should I lose, I will help him with the technicalities. However, I would like to ask the rest of you if you consider this to be an okay idea. I have the advantage of knowing how I used to play Dispater, which might help me out. Just tell me what you think.

In any case, my challenger will not find Dispater. I am relatively sure I can figure another way around this.

Also, as a final note here, if anyone would be willing to combine his expertise with my vague ideas and mediocre skills, I would be more than happy to help. I have an idea about how to solve this, but the optimisation details may or may not be beyond me. This, however, only works if the challenger I work on will be the first in line to try. If someone is interested, get in touch through this thread or a PM.

Since I'm not up for statting 4 Entire 100HD builds myself, and their 8 ~100HD cohorts, and their ~16  ~100HD cohorts, and their ~10k 20th level followers I'm surely up for pooling resources.

Oh, and with the amount of characters you can get because Leadership is allowed, screw all other mitigating followers than spell slots. Since all your followers will have those, you'll have enough spell slots.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »

Since I'm not up for statting 4 Entire 100HD builds myself, and their 8 ~100HD cohorts, and their ~16  ~100HD cohorts, and their ~10k 20th level followers I'm surely up for pooling resources.

Oh, and with the amount of characters you can get because Leadership is allowed, screw all other mitigating followers than spell slots. Since all your followers will have those, you'll have enough spell slots.
A party of four is the highest you can have. My idea requires two, although four would be better. However, I wish everyone to note that I have promised to help TravelLog with the challenge and assuming my build or the build and idea I help someone with has to be the first one to get ready. Otherwise I might use inside knowledge and that is not nice.

In any case, I am quite certain I know how to reach Dispater, I know how to kill Dispater and I know how to avoid all his minions. So far I have not considered any custom abilities, spells or items, which probably would make this easier.

Edit: I am not saying that the other challengers are bad optimisers or have bad ideas. That is definitely not my point. I do have some insight about playing Dispater though and that is what I am going to utilise if I ever try this challenge.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
The Power of Friendship [Ritual]
(click to show/hide)
If this works can I go:
What if we were meant to be together?[Ritual]
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
Why make that a swift action? The duration is instantaneous, so take your time before the challenge starts. Makes it more, well, acceptable.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
A party of four is the highest you can have. My idea requires two, although four would be better. However, I wish everyone to note that I have promised to help TravelLog with the challenge and assuming my build or the build and idea I help someone with has to be the first one to get ready. Otherwise I might use inside knowledge and that is not nice.

In any case, I am quite certain I know how to reach Dispater, I know how to kill Dispater and I know how to avoid all his minions. So far I have not considered any custom abilities, spells or items, which probably would make this easier.

Edit: I am not saying that the other challengers are bad optimisers or have bad ideas. That is definitely not my point. I do have some insight about playing Dispater though and that is what I am going to utilise if I ever try this challenge.

I didn't think you idea would involve that many guys. Just that my current does, so any pooling of resources that can bring the amount of guys down should be awesome.

What I was planning was to fuse a bunch of characters into one so I had one character that had bascially infinite actions, who could use himself to power Epic Spell rituals and constantly cast a combined Foresee+Transport seed to move to wherever Dispater, while being immune to anything Dispater did. In addition to constantly attempting to use Trap The Soul on Dispater everytime he saw him.
Basically, teleport next to him, be immune to any combat stuff he can do, use trap the soul, fail the opposed divine rank, Dispater either fights back or teleports away, if he fights back I'm immune, if not I'll teleport after him. And attempt to trap him again. Rinse and repeat untill he fails his Divine Rank check.
As of now I assumed that required around 340, 20th level casters providing slots to pull off enough times to actually be sure of working.

Why make that a swift action? The duration is instantaneous, so take your time before the challenge starts. Makes it more, well, acceptable.
I have a lot of followers I want to fuse into me, so I'll need to cast it a lot (170 times to be precise) with swift actions this takes 17 minutes, in which we can also do other tasks, like prepare another bunch of epic spells I want. Such as making sure I'm immune to a bunch of other stuff.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:10:09 PM by Mixster »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
I didn't think you idea would involve that many guys. Just that my current does, so any pooling of resources that can bring the amount of guys down should be awesome.
Far as I know, four people is the maximum regardless of feats and class features. Feel free to ask about that though. More the merrier, right?

What I was planning was to fuse a bunch of characters into one so I had one character that had bascially infinite actions, who could use himself to power Epic Spell rituals and constantly cast a combined Foresee+Transport seed to move to wherever Dispater, while being immune to anything Dispater did. In addition to constantly attempting to use Trap The Soul on Dispater everytime he saw him.
Ah, an old classic.

My plan is quite not as sophisticated, but I think it will work better. No intention of questioning your optimisation skills there, but I am just trying to take away most of the variables. Therefore I planned it with no custom abilities, no more than four characters and minimal amount of resources. Everything else I may stack on top of that is just gravy.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »
Ah, an old classic.

My plan is quite not as sophisticated, but I think it will work better. No intention of questioning your optimisation skills there, but I am just trying to take away most of the variables. Therefore I planned it with no custom abilities, no more than four characters and minimal amount of resources. Everything else I may stack on top of that is just gravy.
Heh, Epic spells is hardly optimization. It's mostly, imagine what you wanna do, find out how much spellcraft this spell has, divide by 17 and use that number of 9th level slots on it.

Fill those slots with leadership/thrallherd-dom.

Another reason I wanted all preparation to be done in less than 30 minutes was the fact that my idea for a god was something that it would be funny if there was a new god who came into being 30 minutes ago and suddenly was so powerful it could fight just about anything.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »

This is why I was disallowing it. I've given you leash, so show me it's deserved. Otherwise I'll make the rule be that all plans can only involve 4 people. So you could have four characters or four people fusioned into one. And none of you want that rule, I'm sure.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »

I am curious what you plan is to find/reach Dispater. That was the one part I was missing in my non-epic Ardent theoretical attempt.