Author Topic: all-homebrew game?  (Read 45636 times)

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
Re: all-homebrew game?
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
TWF variant is cool unless it causes problems for someone else, your fighter one also(but don't abuse leadership please), the other two are fine.

Okay, sounds good (I wasn't going to even use the Leadership feat, I just put that in for completeness). Once I know what character level we're starting at, I'll have a character sheet posted soon enough. Once I know a little more about the campaign setting, I'll have a background ready.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
A start on the campaign setting:
(click to show/hide)

Also, a question for those who know the boards better than I: should I apply for a subforum for this?

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
A start on the campaign setting:
(click to show/hide)

Also, a question for those who know the boards better than I: should I apply for a subforum for this?

I like it. Very apocalyptic.

I wouldn't apply for a subforum on it yet, not until you have quite a bit more material.

Also, since you've (trial) approved my TWF rules, I might as well see if I can get other rules subsystems approved so I can get as much playtest bang for my buck as possible. I also have rules for Masterwork & Magic Arms/Armor that don't make me cry myself to sleep, as well as rewritten Concentration rules. How would you feel about applying these houserules to them game (And this is actually a question to everyone)?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »
I've got some character ideas running around so far. Not sure exactly what the party composition is so far, but I'd probably be looking at trying Oslecamo's Illurien or maybe try DonQuixote's Impulse Mage, possibly aiming at venturing into Darkened One or Chaos Shaper.

I might also happen across some other class I may want to try, but I sense I need to lock something down. Largely my choices depend on how the party is made up. Too many casters or too many melee could be awkward.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't know if anyone's called a full-out caster yet. There have been a couple players expressing interest in Don Quixote's spellshapers, and I think someone was interested in playing a homebrewed incarnum class, but nothing that full on casts spells.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Venn.  I think I have it narrowed down (currently) to 4 ideas:

1) Warpsoul/Soulfused Transcendant.  Mostly a debuffer, but kind of a swiss army knife because incarnum.
2) Gerudo.  Kind of a cross between a Swordsage and a Hexblade.
3) Crystal Mage.  Gishy wizard.
4) Thaumaturgist/Ritual Mage.  God-wizard style.

What I choose depends on (a) the rest of the party, (b) what I play in Tshern's game, and (c) blarglarglrlgeijwr. snrk.

As far as houserules, I'm working on a set of houserules for my own campaigns based on the Magipunk houserules, which people seem to like (they've been referenced in other threads).  I'll include them here for your perusal.

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »
I think there are a couple people with potential full-casting. If Osle chooses Ghaele, they get pretty much full cleric casting, if I remember properly.

Also, I don't run by a lot of interesting looking caster homebrew. Mostly because Wizard/Cleric/Druid are pretty good as they are.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
I think there are a couple people with potential full-casting. If Osle chooses Ghaele, they get pretty much full cleric casting, if I remember properly.

Ah, I should check out the Ghaele then... EDIT: Oh, wow. That is intense. Full BAB, full Favored Soul casting, lots of powerful class features, ability score buffs, and lots of additional SLAs. Wouldn't this easily qualify as Tier 2?

Also, I don't run by a lot of interesting looking caster homebrew. Mostly because Wizard/Cleric/Druid are pretty good as they are.

My Warmage, Beguiler, and Priest could always use playtesting (including the modifications to the various spells on their lists)! Oh, and my new Red Mage should be pretty fun! Maybe one of more of those will strike your fancy?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:01:13 PM by Ziegander »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
I like your Red Mage but as far as casting goes I don't feel like keeping track of prepared spells. Really, that many spells in general. Versatility is nice, and I might reconsider it for something else, but I'm not sure now's the time. I also think your Warmage is an improvement, and think the others are interesting in their own right, but don't really jump out at me for this game. Not really sure what I'm going for, I guess.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
I like your Red Mage but as far as casting goes I don't feel like keeping track of prepared spells. Really, that many spells in general. Versatility is nice, and I might reconsider it for something else, but I'm not sure now's the time. I also think your Warmage is an improvement, and think the others are interesting in their own right, but don't really jump out at me for this game. Not really sure what I'm going for, I guess.

Hey, no problem, just thought I'd toss them out there. If anyone else is interested in a homebrew full-caster, they're up there for perusal.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
I've got some character ideas running around so far. Not sure exactly what the party composition is so far, but I'd probably be looking at trying Oslecamo's Illurien
Illurien rather seems like the Ruyan's style, something the makers might have had to do with.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
I've got some character ideas running around so far. Not sure exactly what the party composition is so far, but I'd probably be looking at trying Oslecamo's Illurien
Illurien rather seems like the Ruyan's style, something the makers might have had to do with.

Is that good or bad? :P

From what I can tell, Illurien does fit with that last paragraph you mentioned (what with a shifting body made of silvery "water" and the ability to call a portal to her own private dwelling). Possibly one of those "made-eyed" except she was too self-involved, too selfish and self-motivated. Not a good tool.

Offline Schizek

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
If you still have a room for more players I would be interested to play Indigo Trickster:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2426.0

I have a questions:
1. Lesser versions from PGtF are allowed ?
2. What sources we can use for feats/races/spells ?
3. Can I use http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php for posting character sheet?

Edit. I would be something around Stealth+Combat.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
Is that good or bad? :P

From what I can tell, Illurien does fit with that last paragraph you mentioned (what with a shifting body made of silvery "water" and the ability to call a portal to her own private dwelling). Possibly one of those "made-eyed" except she was too self-involved, too selfish and self-motivated. Not a good tool.

She could be severely affected by the Reshaping, but somehow not contagious, but made-eyed is more likely. Many were more experiments than tools. I'll write rules for the made-eyed tomorrow.

If you still have a room for more players I would be interested to play Indigo Trickster:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2426.0
There's ~6 players already, but it depends whether some people are still interested.

Offline Schizek

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
There's ~6 players already, but it depends whether some people are still interested.
I will create this Indigo Trickster If someone resign in middle of game I can just jump in .

Will you allow this skill ? http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1805

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »
I've got a good start on my character now. Just trying to figure out some feats. Unique class features and such can make that more difficult.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:42 AM »

Hey, no problem, just thought I'd toss them out there. If anyone else is interested in a homebrew full-caster, they're up there for perusal.

I also have the Scholar if we need more casters. Though that is more like a Sorcerer/Favoured Soul/Mystic Theurge.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
OK. Although the dementist is very interesting, I decided to go with Sublime Shaper since it is much more likely to find its way in my RL game.

So, I will be playing Sublime Shaper with Ziegander's Two-Weapon Fix (Chance to test them out in practice).
Going for two-dagger wielding with Shadow Hand, Thrashing Dragon maneuvers, and Brilliant Dawn, Blustering Gale formulas.
Not sure how it will turn out (not very good at optimizing) but I am going for a sneaky mobile fighter with limited support and battlefield control capabilities.

I will likely play strongheart halfling but do any of you have any other hombrew suggestions. Any interesting races that fill some of these criteria?
- small
- more than two hands
- boosts Dex
- boosts Cha

Imagine this but with regular daggers
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:28:08 AM by samnemath »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
Lesser D'hin'ni is small and boosts Dex and Cha, according to the Master Player Race List.  Plus, Prestidigitation at will.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »
(sorry about double post)

Just to organize, right now we have:

~Osle with a Ghaele divine gish
~Venn with an Illurien (mostly melee? I can't tell)
~Zieg with a TWFighter
~Sam with a TWF sublime shaper
~Harald with a FLAMEspeaker
~me and littha with who knows
(~schiz with an indigo trickster)
((~fire with a ritual char))

So it seems we need more casting than anything else.  I'll axe the Gerudo and Crystal Mage ideas, as being too similar to others.

I guess I'll start working up a Thaumaturge/Ritual Mage.  Can you vet those, Quill?

EDIT: And how do you feel about Item Familiars?

EDIT2: Actually, wait on Ritual Mage -- I need to update it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:20:40 AM by sirpercival »