Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 209443 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
I went looking for hilarious and dumb things to use with Exemplar, and I found Undead Empathy. "My underwater basket weaving will mollify the dead!"

Also, check out Wanderer's Diplomacy. More specifically, the wording on Social Agility.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
But I'm curious, what all is wrong with the class that makes it a mess?
It forgot to say that the inspiration points that aren't used during an encounter are lost (as implied)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:29 AM »
But I'm curious, what all is wrong with the class that makes it a mess?
It forgot to say that the inspiration points that aren't used during an encounter are lost (as implied)

Also, Arcane Dilettante.  And Opportunistic Piety.  And the +1d6 Sneak Attack one.  There's a bunch of class features that require a lot of interpretation on how exactly they're supposed to work. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
So I was looking up weapons of Legacy and noticed monster of legacy and the epic rules.  If epic exists in your campaign world.  Monster of legacies don't need to ever get the feat or do rituals for powers.  Which means if you apply monster of legacy to a 21 hit die creature should get a 15 level equivalent spell 3x a day.  I like twinned wishes personally.

I also don't endorse epic in any way. 

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Actually Epic is, if anything, more balanced than pre-Epic if you observe the fact that DM's must approve of any Epic Spell.

Monster of Legacy straight out tells you it's not for PCs and any LA the creature has when the Template is applied is removed. Not reduced to 0, actually removed as in a dash entry. Some of the designers are aware that certain traits are more powerful than others in the long run and it's why creatures/Templates like the Vampire have a higher LA than CR adjustment.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »
Arcane Dilettante.  And Opportunistic Piety.  And the +1d6 Sneak Attack one.  There's a bunch of class features that require a lot of interpretation on how exactly they're supposed to work.
What's wrong with those three? Besides that they make rogues feel sad. You didn't mention that Cunning surge is of course broken with THE factutom feat. Cunning strike is weak because it must be spent before "the attack roll" so it doesn't easily stack for TWF/etc

Some of the designers are aware that certain traits are more powerful than others in the long run and it's why creatures/Templates like the Vampire have a higher LA than CR adjustment.
This is like the most accurate and sensible quote for why pathfinder's "just use the CR value!" is totally misguided. Someone please sig this.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
I went looking for hilarious and dumb things to use with Exemplar, and I found Undead Empathy. "My underwater basket weaving will mollify the dead!"

Also, check out Wanderer's Diplomacy. More specifically, the wording on Social Agility.

hmm, I had spotted W.D. for Money Bags, and He Hate Me (intentional check flub).
But yeah, Bluff for 1 Standard action Diplomancer, where's that +30 to Bluff feat/spell ??

edit --- Ooo OOoooo , get Fanatic via that and the fanatic effect sticks around, even after the later step hostile.
I now  think you're a d-bag, buutttt I still believe I'll go fight that Dragon for you.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:53:39 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2015, 04:18:23 AM »
Arcane Dilettante.  And Opportunistic Piety.  And the +1d6 Sneak Attack one.  There's a bunch of class features that require a lot of interpretation on how exactly they're supposed to work.
What's wrong with those three? Besides that they make rogues feel sad. You didn't mention that Cunning surge is of course broken with THE factutom feat. Cunning strike is weak because it must be spent before "the attack roll" so it doesn't easily stack for TWF/etc

They're not "broken," they're poorly written.  For example, Arcane Dilettante specifies that you "mimic a spell as a spell-like ability," but then goes on to reference a whole bunch of rules that don't apply to SLAs, such as spell preparation, material components, and metamagic feats. 

It's clear (to me) how the ability is supposed to work, but I could certainly see how someone could come up with an entirely different yet equally reasonable idea of how to handle it. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
Actually Epic is, if anything, more balanced than pre-Epic if you observe the fact that DM's must approve of any Epic Spell.

Monster of Legacy straight out tells you it's not for PCs and any LA the creature has when the Template is applied is removed. Not reduced to 0, actually removed as in a dash entry. Some of the designers are aware that certain traits are more powerful than others in the long run and it's why creatures/Templates like the Vampire have a higher LA than CR adjustment.

Clarifying: I meant it was broken with a sadistic power gaming DM.  To me its on the same level as that crab and half dragon hawks.  I've just never seen it mentioned before.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Eh if your DM is sadistic he doesn't need to power game to kill you, he could just use an adventure Mr Gygax wrote.

Offline Wingboner

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »
Faiths of Eberron, page 91: Ritual of Oalian's Voice.
Special: If you are an initiate of the Wardens of the Wood, you can make wild empathy checks with magical beasts as if they were animals.

Offline 7h39

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2016, 05:04:45 AM »

Quote from: Races of the Dragon pg.8
"Dragonborn Racial Traits"
Age: After a dragonborn underoes the Rite of Rebirth, she emerges as an adult creature regardless of her previous age. If she lives for 200 years (see Table 1–1, page 10), she enters middle age.

Age character to Venerable, and build the egg with starting money... Rebirth and Repeat?!

Does this mean - at least - +3Int +3Wis +3Cha for 100gp? do you think that Phisical Mali carry over?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
From the way the text reads it's impossible to perform the Rite a second time unless you were say Reincarated at some point or something, a none-Dragonborn in for a Dragonborn out.

And the general consensus is Aging doesn't stack, either you flagged for Old and picked up Old's changes or you're not Old and have no Bonus/Penalty. The text only says the changes stack with each step, and for most Races there is only three to be had.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
Not sure if this is a repost or not, but I discovered these "Dead Levels" Articles on WotC

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:54 PM »
Yup, those are reposts.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2016, 12:25:50 AM »
Worst part about these, is that they don't even try to address the huge discrepancy between casters and non casters. It doesn't really matter that the druid, cleric or wizard have dead levels, because they have spells. Even if they did not have any other class features, with spells alone they'd already be leaps and bounds above the mundanes.

Worst of all, it doesn't even try to address the monk because he has no dead levels. Like that in and of itself means squat when these abilities are complete ****.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2016, 01:07:06 PM »
Eh the Monk does fine, his ACFs and traits make him one of the best "mundanes" in the game.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
Not sure if this is a repost or not, but I discovered these "Dead Levels" Articles on WotC

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x

It's kinda off  , that wotc goes the other way for 5e.
They treat access to a new spell level = not a dead level.

I don't think that's what the fanbase thought of dead levels
or what they wanted.  (iirc) Surveys were clear people
wanted more stuff happening for most levels.

I'm all for 1 class being the ultra simple to learn
and ultra simple to smash in combat.  But just 1.

4e didn't help this either, what with everything
pretty much or absolutely the same, noticeably so.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »
Am I the only person who didn't know that you can have multiple spells on one scroll?

Looks like it caps out at 6, at least for random scrolls.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
Am I the only person who didn't know that you can have multiple spells on one scroll?

Looks like it caps out at 6, at least for random scrolls.

I state it in my Scroll Handbook, be it a little incomplete. No idea on how much it should costs though
Im really bad at what I do.
A+