Author Topic: Someone I know was possibly killed, being reported as suicide.  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Someone I know was possibly killed, being reported as suicide.
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:09:09 AM »
 :twitch

22 year old male, goes for a drive near his home, puts up a status update about his ex trying to run him off the road. Not her first outburst of this sort by the way.

A few hours later, he drives off a cliff through a metal barrier at a narrow stretch of road and dies.

Somebody called in the accident despite it being 4am on a road to nowhere in the middle of the boonies. No witnesses.

The cops say it was a suicide and aren't investigating.

:banghead

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Someone I know was possibly killed, being reported as suicide.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
Wow, i'm sorry for your friend... This is huge. Unfortunately i have limited knowledge of the U.S police investigation procedures and criminal law, but if you have screenshotted the status update, you can certainly put it forward as evidence for the police, as a concerned citizen. I'd however advise against any kind of public witch hunting towards his ex or even discussing it before you do so, as that might be considered slander. If/when the police has investigated the matter, then you're safer discussing this possibility.

If the police refuses outright to pursue this avenue of investigation, maybe you can take it up straight to the D.A? I don't know if that's a possibility in the U.S, but here in Brazil you can present evidence of a crime straight to our equivalent of the D.A, which can then in turn pressure the police to investigate the crime, or outright prosecute based on the evidence you have provided, as police involvement isn't technically necessary for prosecution of a crime, only the evidence of a crime is necessary.

IANAL in the U.S though, so someone with more experience and knowledge in the matter (especially with all the different state laws you guys got over there), is your better bet for discussing it.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on the chain either and hell I work for them. What I'd do is try speaking to the Sheriff first or someone up the line form the guy that answers the phone, cutting them clear out only pisses them off later on. But failing that, there is the DA's office for pressure & a private sit down with a commissioner if you have an actual valid complaint, and not "the cops aren't doing anything!" isn't one.

Because the fact is, in this particular sort of case they probably did. Any moron can update his FB status to say anything, it doesn't make it true and I've personally seen revenge suicides before. They mostly likely already have talked to someone and the GF has an substantiated alibi, or maybe because people just don't willingly slam through a guard rail over a cliff they simply looked for the giant tears down the side of her car she'd picked up for trying to ram someone off the road.

The problem is you're not talking to the right people asking the right questions. Instead your running off with half truths on a forum fishing for support.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »
Screenshot the status update if it's still around.  Archive it too for posterity's sake.

Sadly I don't know what other advice I can give; you have my condolences.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Hugs to that Nytemare.
 :hug
That's tough stuff to be confronted and have to deal with.

(later)
Initial reports are not always the gawds "gospels" truth.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:27 AM »
Update: Police report and family story didn't match because the family lied about the conditions of the death. He didn't run off the road. He jumped. He also didn't die just outside of his hometown on a familiar road. He intentionally went to a road farther away.

So yeah. Jumper. Case closed.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:08 AM »
 :hug