Author Topic: Souls Reborn  (Read 19878 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Souls Reborn
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »
Huh, I forgot that I'd expressed interest in this game the first time around, too. I'm going to have to think about my original idea, too (anthropomorphic bat thaumaturge with a goal of cataloguing the sounds of magic).

Quill, is this okay? I know you okayed it for the original application, but I'd like to double check, being 2 years later and all that.

Assuming everything is still good, I'm trying to pick things.
- Ability scores: 6 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int, 22 Wis, 6 Cha.
- Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Listen, and Spot. Spellcraft is +10 so I can take 10 on the DC 20 check to cast my cantrips at will out of combat. With 22 Wisdom and the +4 racial bonus, Spot/Listen are at +15, which seems pretty darn good for 2nd level.
- Feats: Improved Flight (from RotW) gets me to good maneuverability, which means hovering, among other benefits. I haven't a clue what to do with the two extra feats from flaws, though. Spell Focus (Conjuration), maybe, but there have got to be better choices. Any ideas?
- Flaws: I could go with Noncombatant (-2 on melee attack rolls) and Shaky (-2 on ranged attack rolls), since I'm not planning to ever attack, nor would I really do anything if I tried, but I feel a little dirty taking them since they're basically non-penalties for me.
- Traits: Nightsighted (+10 ft. darkvision, -1 Spot in areas of bright light) is interesting, and Passionate (+1 Fort, -1 Will) shores up a weak save in exchange for a very strong save.
- Equipment: A light crossbow is a gimme, even if it's close to useless with a +3 attack bonus (+1 if I go with Shaky) for 1d6 damage. That covers 35 gp of the 900 gp we have to spend. Any ideas?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:44 AM »
Assuming there is still some space I would love to join. Not been in a PbP for a long time and I am really beginning to miss it.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
Any recommendations?
Was me literately asking for recommendations on which ones were decent. :P
At a glance, Falling Star and Blood Sage look the most carefully written, though I don't know any of them very well. Falling Star has better BFC than Swarming Hornet, but doesn't give extra attacks - a good trade under most circumstances, though extra attacks might compliment Ammo Writ in Pencil better.

Blood Sage has a fair number of boosts and counters that don't rely on melee attacks, actually, and I quite like the idea of a style combining it with a ranged discipline, so I guess I'd recommend Falling Star, Blood Sage, Stone Dragon, and two of (Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, White Raven), or one and Swarming Hornet. Probably keep DM for the counters, WR might be better for you than IH but there's already a party member using it.

Huh, I forgot that I'd expressed interest in this game the first time around, too. I'm going to have to think about my original idea, too (anthropomorphic bat thaumaturge with a goal of cataloguing the sounds of magic).

Quill, is this okay? I know you okayed it for the original application, but I'd like to double check, being 2 years later and all that.

Assuming everything is still good, I'm trying to pick things.
- Ability scores: 6 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int, 22 Wis, 6 Cha.
- Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Listen, and Spot. Spellcraft is +10 so I can take 10 on the DC 20 check to cast my cantrips at will out of combat. With 22 Wisdom and the +4 racial bonus, Spot/Listen are at +15, which seems pretty darn good for 2nd level.
- Feats: Improved Flight (from RotW) gets me to good maneuverability, which means hovering, among other benefits. I haven't a clue what to do with the two extra feats from flaws, though. Spell Focus (Conjuration), maybe, but there have got to be better choices. Any ideas?
- Flaws: I could go with Noncombatant (-2 on melee attack rolls) and Shaky (-2 on ranged attack rolls), since I'm not planning to ever attack, nor would I really do anything if I tried, but I feel a little dirty taking them since they're basically non-penalties for me.
- Traits: Nightsighted (+10 ft. darkvision, -1 Spot in areas of bright light) is interesting, and Passionate (+1 Fort, -1 Will) shores up a weak save in exchange for a very strong save.
- Equipment: A light crossbow is a gimme, even if it's close to useless with a +3 attack bonus (+1 if I go with Shaky) for 1d6 damage. That covers 35 gp of the 900 gp we have to spend. Any ideas?
Looks okay.

Assuming there is still some space I would love to join. Not been in a PbP for a long time and I am really beginning to miss it.
Nice to have you (back)! Six players is fine, I think, though that's about my limit now. Do you have a character in mind?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
Nice to have you (back)! Six players is fine, I think, though that's about my limit now. Do you have a character in mind?

Depends how weird you want to go.
Been wanting to test my Deathjack for a while now but I can do a spectrum between that and a basic fighter.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
If littha is playing a Deathjack I'm playing the Death Knight.  I won't be able to help myself!

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »
Weird is good. This is the game that had a baby spelljammer and a guy with a crab claw graft last time.

(I probably don't need to mention it, but the standard rule for evil and destructive characters does apply: they have to be restrained enough to work with the party.) I don't know anything about Deathjacks other than what's in your monster class thread, but it doesn't make mention of them doing much other than killing and destroying, so you might give some thought to, and tell me a bit about, how one would fit into a party/adventure/campaign.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 09:37:47 PM »
The deathjack is generally a force for destruction but evil doesn't mean stupid. Just because you could level an orphanage doesn't mean its a great idea to do so.

Make no mistake, the characters final goal is just to go on an endless bloodbath. The best way to go about that is to become more powerful and for the deathjack that is by consuming souls, the safest way of doing so without attracting unwanted attention is with a group of adventurers.

Basically:
Adventurers kill things > Deathjack eats souls > Deathjack becomes more powerful > eventually (level 20?) its strong enough to actually go about and harvest all the souls it needs without the subterfuge.

In essence, I doubt the character could ever actually become strong enough to start randomly slaughtering people in a PbP game starting at level 2.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
So I'll just file this goblins neutral good to chaotic neutral or evil here.  He was getting changed anyway to CN.  Quillwraith I also asked if I could pick up a ranged discipline.  Would you be ok with any of the disciplines that SorO posted for my character.  That will be my last discipline question all that is left to do is spend (2 point buy points), choose one skill, pick up a few manuevers and buy stuff (2 masterwork weapons and some food rope and tools?).

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=802752

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Make no mistake, the characters final goal is just to go on an endless bloodbath. The best way to go about that is to become more powerful and for the deathjack that is by consuming souls, the safest way of doing so without attracting unwanted attention is with a group of adventurers.
Fair enough; just thought I should make sure.

So I'll just file this goblins neutral good to chaotic neutral or evil here.  He was getting changed anyway to CN.  Quillwraith I also asked if I could pick up a ranged discipline.  Would you be ok with any of the disciplines that SorO posted for my character.  That will be my last discipline question all that is left to do is spend (2 point buy points), choose one skill, pick up a few manuevers and buy stuff (2 masterwork weapons and some food rope and tools?).

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=802752
HD are maximised at first level, IIRC, so you should have 14 HP. The rest of it looks okay.

I missed your question about ranged disciplines, sorry. As a swordsage, you don't get Falling Star or Swarming Hornet, but you can trade a discipline for Solar Wind. (It says it replaces Tiger Claw, but I'm ok with you trading Setting Sun or Desert Wind instead.)

If we have a full set of players and character concepts, perhaps it's time to move to the subforum. OOC thread.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:09:11 AM by Quillwraith »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 03:14:09 PM »
How do you want Point buy stat generation to work with Non-abilities (Con in this case)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
Why would you go an ask that Littha?
Everyone knows you start with 8s in those ;) :p

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
If room opens up, I'd be interested in playing. Just let me know.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
It turns out Dr_emperor isn't joining, so if you're still interested, there's room. We've started the campaign already, but it shouldn't be hard to join partway in once you're ready.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »

You're just following me to every game, aren't you? :P

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
Haha maybe... Wasn't my intention, but it sure looks that way doesn't it?
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
Haha maybe... Wasn't my intention, but it sure looks that way doesn't it?

You wouldn't be the current leader there, actually. That's Phae. He's currently a PC in 3 campaigns I DM and a PC in the party with me in RHoD. Must be a masochist.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »
What about me? :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »

For some reason, I forgot you were in Whispers of War. How the hell I forgot that, since you edit every word I type on these boards, I shall never know. :banghead

So, yes, Nanshork is also a PC in 3 campaigns I DM (the same three, actually), and also in a party with me (Souls). Even more of a masochist, since he does actually edit everything I write on these boards.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

For some reason, I forgot you were in Whispers of War. How the hell I forgot that, since you edit every word I type on these boards, I shall never know. :banghead

So, yes, Nanshork is also a PC in 3 campaigns I DM (the same three, actually), and also in a party with me (Souls). Even more of a masochist, since he does actually edit almost everything I write on these boards.

Fixed that for you.   :smirk

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »

For some reason, I forgot you were in Whispers of War. How the hell I forgot that, since you edit almost every  word I type on these boards, I shall never know. :banghead

So, yes, Nanshork is also a PC in 3 campaigns I DM (the same three, actually), and also in a party with me (Souls). Even more of a masochist, since he does actually edit almost everything I write on these boards.

Fixed that for you.   :smirk
You didn't fix it right.