Author Topic: Tentacles Whips (ECS, pg. 300), and other symbiont stuff  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Tonymitsu

• The Original Distinguished Anarchist
    • View Profile
Tentacles Whips (ECS, pg. 300), and other symbiont stuff
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Is there any errata for these that I should read aside from the entry in the book?

Second, if you have a pair of them grafted on each arm, would they qualify the host for Rapidstrike (tentacle)? And if yes/no, then why or why not?

EDIT: On further thought, is there anything at all, perhaps not included in the text on pg 299, preventing an undead character from attaching symbionts?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:25:00 AM by Tonymitsu »
"The only thing in the entire universe more dangerous than knowledge is ignorance."
--Lord Volkarion Knightcon

Offline Tonymitsu

• View Profile
Re: Tentacles Whips (ECS, pg. 300), and other symbiont stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
*bump*

No thoughts? :(
"The only thing in the entire universe more dangerous than knowledge is ignorance."

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
I don't see anything preventing undead from using symbionts.  But I'll warn you, that I've never used them and neither has anyone in my group, so I'm not very up on all the rules regarding them.

Though in the case of tentacle whips, it specifically says it draws nourishment from the host, so I would expect some DMs to not allow them for undead.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:52:54 AM by kitep »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »
I don't think 2x Tentacle Whips qualifies you for Rapidstrike, as they would be considered a weapon for you, not a natural weapon.

Offline Tonymitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
I've been discussing it with a couple members of my regular group and none of us are sure either.

Specifically we someone who wants to be a ghost daelkyr half-blood who wanted to know if he could use tentacle whips to deliver his touch attack.

The way I've been thinking, he can basically he can get wants regardless of how it's ruled, it's just presenting a case to the DM:

a) either the whips count as a natural weapon, he uses Rapidstrike, and wears a Necklace of Natural Attacks to get additional enhancements (like Ghost Touch, if that becomes an issue)

b) or the whips count as manufactured weapons once they are attached, he takes the Two-Weapon Fighting chain, and he just pays for enhancements the old-fashioned way. Interpreted that way, the description all but says that tentacle whips count as masterwork weapons already.

Either way, he gets the Corrupting Touch at 15 ft as it's specifically called out in the Channel Touch ability.

As far as draining nourishment from the host... I'd be totally with you on 'no undead' if they drained CON. But since the drain is on DEX... This is the other reason why I wanted other opinions.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »
*bump*
No thoughts? :(
Like House I generally avoid doing rounds.

Is there any errata for these that I should read aside from the entry in the book?
Magic of Eberron assigns a gold-value to it, 8,000gp.

Second, if you have a pair of them grafted on each arm, would they qualify the host for Rapidstrike (tentacle)?
And if yes/no, then why or why not?

No, also they are not Grafts, because it says you use it as a weapon and unless noted otherwise "weapon" does not mean "Natural Weapon", which is also why it's ability to deliver Touch Spells is an Extraordinary Ability named Channel Touch because if it were a Natural Weapon it could already do it.

EDIT: On further thought, is there anything at all, perhaps not included in the text on pg 299, preventing an undead character from attaching symbionts?
Sort of, the Symbiote is a Creature whose decisions are normally under the control of the DM and is even capable of Dominating it's host. Since the Ability Damage is also cast as how the Symbiote feeds, no Constitution-based one would choose to remain with an Undead host. It is possible to use Dominate Monster and find other ways to feed it though.

Offline Tonymitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
Okay, another line of thought:

If symbionts are creatures, then does it follow that they can have templates applied to them as well?

For instance, as a tentacle whip is an aberration with a Charisma of 10, it qualifies for the ghost template. Would that solve our problems a little bit? I can't see any DM enforcing an incorporeal undead's need to feed.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
Technically yes, they can have templates be applied.  Good luck convincing a DM to go with that, though.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."