Author Topic: Martial Machine school  (Read 6974 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Martial Machine school
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
Martial Machine

A school developed for those who love it close and personal and think the best defense is a good attack, Martial Machine focus on light paired daggers, heavy blades, and using your giant robot's own body as a weapon when push comes to shove.

Trinity: Maneuvers for this school have three different kinds of tags: [Knuckles], [Saber] and [Twin Daggers].  You cannot know more than maneuvers with one kind of tag until you have an equal number of maneuvers with the other kind of tags.  So for example if you know one [Knuckles] maneuver, you cannot learn another unless you already know one [Saber] maneuver and one [Twin Daggers] maneuver.

Martial Machine stances count towards those limit. Martial Machine stances with two tags can count as having either or both their tags for this limit's purpose.

Unlike normal martial schools, Martial Machine maneuvers do not need to be recharged, but instead consume energy from the mecha equal to the Maneuver's level x 5, paid when the maneuver is initiated. Stances do not cost any energy to maintain, but their cost must be paid when the pilot switches to it.

A  Super Pilot or Moon Vanguard may swap one of their schools for Martial Machine.

Maneuvers List

1st level
[K] Ducking Blow: Counter– Bonus AC against melee attack, if it misses you deliver a rending punch.
[T) Quick March: Boost – Fast movement, may attack with twin-linked weapons at penalty.
[S) Scissor Edge: Strike –Move and deliver attack that prevents HP recovery.
[KS) Brave Critical: Stance –Easier to use melee Heavy weapons, bonus damage against opponents that are neither flanked nor flat-footed.
[T) Wise Critical: Stance –Twin link melee weapons, bonus damage against flanked and flat-footed enemies.

2nd level
[K) Flicker Jab: Strike –Multiple pinning punches.
[T) Shoot Polka: Counter – Attack enemy trying to escape you and trip them.
[S) Illusion Rave: Boost – Free attacks against close enemies.

3rd level
[T) Straight Charge: Strike – Boosted charge, stronger the more you invest on it.
[S) Crazy Heart: Stance – Gain bonus against those that inflicted ill status on you.
[KT) Fake Capture: Stance – Bonus AC and free attacks against enemies engaging you in melee.
[K) Surprise Knuckle: Counter –Reduce melee damage taken and delivers back rending punches.
[S) Scar Fugue: Boost –Your next charge can push an opponent with you.

4th level
[K) Quake Howling: Strike –Deal damage in a line against Reflex, disrupts flying targets.
[S) Surprise Dunk: Counter –Quickly close in with an opponent targeting you and hit them first.
[T) Wild Rhapsody: Boost –Free attacks against those moving in or out of your melee reach.

5th level
[S) Deadly Archer: Boost – Throw melee weapons with extra power.
[K) Pendulum Roll: Counter – Close in with an enemy targeting you and deliver 8 punches.
[T) Dark Scherzo: Strike –Throw melee weapon and it returns dragging the target along.

6th level
[S) Acro Effect: Strike –Attack, move, then attack and move again, may blind others to everybody but you.
[K) Flash Thousand: Boost –Can fullattack with powerful punches.
[ST) Crazy Beat: Stance – Get stronger in melee and ignore ill conditions against those that inflicted them.
[K) Just Reversal: Stance – Stand from prone as a free action while gaining bonus, plus Improved Evasion and Improved Mettle.
[T) Bloody Sarabande: Counter –Retaliate with multiple melee attacks when harmed even if you would be destroyed/incapacitated.

7th level
[K) Backhand Smash: Strike –Power, Rending, Downfall and Disarming 2d100 attack that ignores extra DR/hardness.
[T) Deadly Circle: Boost – Set up to attack everybody in a circle centered on yourself, charge up for stronger effects.
[S) Symphonic Drive: Strike –Close in with distant enemy then attack them in melee to push them away.

8th level
[S) Orchestra: Stance – Choose a single or pair of twin-linked weapons to gain cumulative bonus while blinding and deafening those you attack.
[T) Tornado Dance: Stance-Free attacks while moving, bonus to and against Aoos.
[T) Rumbling Moon: Counter – Attack opponent trying to harm or escape you, drain their energy and spirit.
[K) Meteor Fist: Boost –Set up to deliver flurry of 1d100 punches, can charge up for stronger effect.
[S) Raging Waltz: Strike –Close in and attack target and anybody else nearby.

9th level

[S) Chaos Riser: Boost – Draw in everything closer to you and attack them.
[K) Heartless Impact: Strike –4d100 punch, Power, Rending, Downfall, Pinning, Grabbing, Disarming, Pushing, Concussive, negates HP/En recovery.
[T) Facet Folia: Counter –Perfectly evade attack then close in with target and deliver pair of attacks.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:59:18 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Machine school
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
The level 6 stances look a bit... questionably useful. The [Knuckles] one is good if saves come around, but a stance that does less than nothing (it stops you using another stance, after all)  outside of certain conditions and even then only helps against the one enemy?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »
Made them both immediate actions to enter. Crazy Beat now allows you to ignore external penalties to attack and damage rolls and even act if disabled as long as you're attacking the one that disabled you. Just Reversal grants you a temporary boost to melee attack/AC when you stand up from prone.

Are the other maneuvers/stances flawless works of art then? :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
Made them both immediate actions to enter. Crazy Beat now allows you to ignore external penalties to attack and damage rolls and even act if disabled as long as you're attacking the one that disabled you. Just Reversal grants you a temporary boost to melee attack/AC when you stand up from prone.

Are the other maneuvers/stances flawless works of art then? :p

I just noticed there was a new school and was skimming it to see if there's something interesting going on, I haven't given things a detailed read yet. It's definitely the worst school to combine with Born to Fight, due to its reliance on mecha weaponry. :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
Don't you mean Burning Justice? Mind you, I would say the defensive stuff from Burning Justice could combine well, since Martial Mecha's counters are mostly "hit them back".

Also [Knuckles] maneuvers don't actually use any of your already existing weapons, giving you one-use stats instead.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
Don't you mean Burning Justice? Mind you, I would say the defensive stuff from Burning Justice could combine well, since Martial Mecha's counters are mostly "hit them back".

Also [Knuckles] maneuvers don't actually use any of your already existing weapons, giving you one-use stats instead.

No, I mean the feat. It makes sense, because this is a school about relying more on the machine, but if you have a lot of feats from here and need to operate outside a mecha at all, you're in trouble since the keywords generally don't apply.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:16:21 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:56:46 AM »
[Knuckles] maneuvers provide their own weapons, [Saber] maneuvers are more synergetic with Heavy weapons but can use any melee weapon, and for [Twin Daggers] you can get [Twin-Linked] from the 1st level stance.

Not any worst than Gun Maniac anyway.

Offline CKirk

• Something something optimization.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
Is Heartless strike supposed to deal d100s for its damage die? Because that seems a bit too random to be useful.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
Is Heartless strike supposed to deal d100s for its damage die? Because that seems a bit too random to be useful.

Eh, it could do huge damage (and as a strike it adds base weapon damage)--but have you looked at the chain of properties? With the +PL bonus to opposed rolls, you have a good chance of not only knocking down or otherwise removing and disarming an opponent, but getting them unable to restore Energy for up to 12 rounds. No movement, less special attacks, less attacks full stop... it's a massive debuff.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 06:41:41 AM »
Eeerr, no, the 4d100 is the "weapon" damage. That's why it's called the base damage instead of extra damage.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
Eeerr, no, the 4d100 is the "weapon" damage. That's why it's called the base damage instead of extra damage.

I stand corrected. The rest of it still applies, though.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »
Before I plan on abusing this mecha discipline, here's a quick evaluation of its maneuvers. Probably missed some stuff but if I use it they'll likely come up eventually.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »
Before I plan on abusing this mecha discipline, here's a quick evaluation of its maneuvers. Probably missed some stuff but if I use it they'll likely come up eventually.
Appreciated.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:28 AM »
Always a pleasure!
Here's a return on the raised points. Those not readdressed I consider dealt with (though I may spot new stuff after checking their updates).

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:55:18 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
Can't stop won't stop.
  • At the top of the maneuvers descriptions, "indepent" should be spelled "independent".
  • In Illusion Rave, "decimates" should be "devastates".
  • In Rumbling Moon, "three melee attack" should be "three melee attacks".

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
Fixed first and third, however.

Decimate is an actual verb, plus that phrase was stolen borrowed directly from the PSO2 wiki.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 06:11:58 PM »

Decimate is an actual verb, plus that phrase was stolen borrowed directly from the PSO2 wiki.

I know it is, it's just that "decimate" is supposed to mean "reduce by 10%". Though these days it generally is a synonym for "devastate", alas. Not a huge thing, I just thought I'd sneak it in there >_>

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »

I know it is, it's just that "decimate" is supposed to mean "reduce by 10%". Though these days it generally is a synonym for "devastate", alas. Not a huge thing, I just thought I'd sneak it in there >_>

The official definition encompasses both use cases.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:05:00 AM »
A company's stock dropping by 10% can indeed be pretty devastating.

If you remove 10% of a person's body, that can easily be fatal.

Similarly if you remove 10% of a mecha's mass that can easily be critical damage.

And an army suffering 10% casualities from a single attack should be serious business too.