Author Topic: Rules of the House  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • Honorary Mod
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Rules of the House
« on: October 08, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
Session details

Channels: #BrightestLight and #BrightestLightOOC on Rizon.

Time: 10:00 for Bozwevial, 16:00 for Agita, 23:00 for veekie.

First session: 11.11.2016 18.11.2016 on account of illness.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:46:58 AM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • Honorary Mod
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the House
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:56:16 PM »
Character creation and options

We shall start at level 1.

Use the standard array of stats, or point buy if your fancy is struck by a more exotic combination of ability scores.

Feats are allowed, should you want to take them. If you want to multiclass, talk through what you want to do with me.

Most things in the Player's Handbook are available by default. You may wish to shop around in sources other than the PHB, such as Unearthed Arcana or one of the few supplements, in which case tell me what you're looking for and I may have a suggestion or tell me what you found and I'll tell you if I want it in my game.

In addition to the backgrounds presented in the Player's Handbook, the Haunted One background from Curse of Strahd is available by default (negotiate background proficiencies with me). Similarly, you may roll on or choose from the gothic trinket table presented in that book instead of the table in the PHB if you want to start with a trinket.

Gnomes, tieflings, dragonborn, and wild magic sorcerers, in rough descending order of my readiness to change my mind, are soft-banned, meaning if you really really want to play one we'll talk something out.

Don't write down your personal characteristics right away. I will invite you to do so after the first several sessions when we've had some time to get into character. Similarly, characteristics needn't be static. If you feel one should change, feel free to do so and let me know. I will also invite you to review your characteristics from time to time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:42:59 PM by Agita »

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • Honorary Mod
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the House
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
Play

Experience. In addition to the usual XP for overcoming encounters, experience points will be awarded under the following conditions:
-The characters gain an ally, forge contacts, or make inroads with a NPC group or organization.
-The characters uncover a significant secret, make an important discovery, or resolve a mystery.

Alignment. Instead of the usual nine alignments, there are only three: lawful, neutral, and chaotic. These represent a cosmic alignment with order or chaos in the mythological sense, and need not be a statement on a character's personality except in some broad strokes. For instance, the usually chaotic good elves are neutral in this system without any change to their general disposition, while both lawful evil devils and chaotic evil demons are just chaotic.
Law represents order, civilization, and light; chaos anarchy, wilderness, and darkness. The human gods of Heaven, the dwarven gods, and their followers are lawful. The old gods of the earth, elves, fairies and wild spirits are neutral. Fallen stars, creatures of darkness, primordial beasts, and stranger things are chaotic.
Paladins and clerics of the human and dwarven gods must be lawful.
Druids cannot be lawful, and are usually neutral but may be chaotic.
Warlocks cannot be lawful; depending on their patron they may find themselves drawn towards chaos whether they want it or not.
Monks are usually lawful.

Personal characteristics and inspiration. A character's Ideal is renamed to a Passion. This is conceptually similar but emphasizes its emotional nature; your passion is what makes your heart dance, weep, or freeze, and might turn you to obsession. Instead of an idea, it could also reflect your feelings toward a person or a personal goal. The key is that it moves you, for good or for ill.
Characters gain inspiration when they act out their personal characteristics, and when they interact with a friend or enemy in an emotionally intimate (not necessarily positive) fashion.
You are strongly encouraged to let me know when you feel you should have earned inspiration. If you think the case for it is flimsy, ask anyway. The worst I can say is no.
You may not give your inspiration to another player who does not have it. It's yours, use it or lose it. Instead, you can spend your inspiration when another player makes a roll and describe how you're coming to their help in order to give them advantage as if they'd spent inspiration, essentially letting you take a free Help action.

Rest and recovery. Rather than eight hours, a long rest requires a full day of resting. This time need not be spent twiddling thumbs; social interaction, light physical activity like walking, and other non-strenuous activity are allowed, but anything that would be advised against while recovering from illness will interrupt a long rest. Short rests are unchanged.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:34:09 AM by Agita »