Author Topic: Bone Knight of Tyranny  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Bone Knight of Tyranny
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
What happens if you decide to become a bone knight from paladin of tyranny? (Or slaughter for that matter.)
Should they get to keep their detect evil and smite evil? (And cause disease if for some reason they want 2 more levels of paladin.) After all, having the "taint" of the undead shouldn't interfere with those.

Also, bone knight expands lay on hands to heal both living and dead things, but doesn't directly say you can no longer harm dead things.
Would a paladin of tyranny be able to heal dead things and both heal and harm living things?

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Knight of Tyranny
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:50:51 AM »
The RAW is "you become really powerful." No seriously. Bone knight is a very great PrC for quirky little things like that.

A DM is more than welcome to limit the effects for RAI reasons, though...

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
It doesnt say you'd lose detect/smite good so I'd say you keep it.  They should have made a note for teh variant paladins for this class. 

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
Yeah, the "you become really powerful" part shines through with it.
And the "should have made a note part" as well, as it really seems to scream for gratuitous stacking of "teh evulz" by going with a variant paladin.

The healing bit is definitely against RAI to allow a paladin of tyranny to become able to heal the living because of his increased connection to undeath.
If altering that winds up unintentionally balanced by letting them keep detect and smite good then all good (as it were) with me.
I just wanted to be sure I wasn't wallowing in selective redaction just because I wanted to weasel it.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
I wouldn't call it weaseling and more iffy design on wizards part lol