Author Topic: How dangerous is it to be a Sneak attack archer and is it worth it?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
I've always considered sneak attack to be unreliable, being immune to so many things and being almost completely useless against higher level enemies.

However having decent sneak attack does fix the problem most archers would have that being damage output if they can find away to make them flat footed, which a Rouge/Caster build could do easily. Of course this comes at the cost of always being at  30 feet(60 if you can get crossbow sniper) which is incredibly dangerous for someone with just a d6 hit die.

So is it as dangerous as i think it is and if so is it worth it?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:01:31 PM by Masakan »

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: How dangerous is it to be a Sneak attack archer and is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:55:48 PM »
That depends on what you add on. Some templates can make it much easier to do. Some gear will open up SA options. Extra beatsticks in the party will keep you safe.

Is it worth it? Yes. When you can reach out and touch someone for the kind of damage a slightly optomized SAer can do then it is worth it. Crossbow sniper, Dark template, craven, and a few weapon crystals combine to make a very effective ranged sneak attacker with little investment. look for ways to get more attacks, and stay hidden. Also if you have extra resources, find a good way to punish anything that comes after you. Wand of grease or marbles. Poisoned caltrops. A BSF to hide behind. Things such as those.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: How dangerous is it to be a Sneak attack archer and is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
Since this is also a PF section, the Warder is a martial adept that has an amazing archetype for ranged combat. One of the perks is being able to shoot in melee range without provoking and being able to threaten with a ranged weapon and make AoOs with it. Throw shadow hand stuff in for SA dice and the Warders d10 HD and you're not just the SA Archer, you're the tank.

True story.