Author Topic: When and why would you ever get the precise enchant?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
When and why would you ever get the precise enchant?
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
All the guides i look into about this enchant say its good, however if you were gonna be a Dedicated archer you would have honestly gotten the feat, and if you weren't you probably have many other things you would want to do Plus by the time you do get it you probably already pelted your allies with arrows by this point. So does this enchant come off as redundant or is there something I'm missing?

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: When and why would you ever get the precise enchant?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
Its useful for feat light builds, or for pushing the feat off til after prerequisites.  Particularly in the typical party of pell mell melee wonks.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
My Cleric Archers love that enhancement.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:45:05 PM »
My Cleric Archers love that enhancement.

But doesnt it take a little long to get? I mean generally you would want to get it almost immediately don't you?

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
you probably already pelted your allies with arrows by this point

I'm probably reading too much into this line, but just to be sure, this is one of the differences between 3.0 and 3.5

3.0 - shooting into melee gets a -4 to hit, and a 50% chance of hitting your ally
3.5 - shooting into melee gets a -4 to hit, but no chance of hitting your ally

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »
Because of the general consensus of never spending a feat slot on something you can just buy instead? *shrugs*

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:47:08 PM »
you probably already pelted your allies with arrows by this point

I'm probably reading too much into this line, but just to be sure, this is one of the differences between 3.0 and 3.5

3.0 - shooting into melee gets a -4 to hit, and a 50% chance of hitting your ally
3.5 - shooting into melee gets a -4 to hit, but no chance of hitting your ally

Oh you wont? so you wont hurt your allies....you would just be absolute garbage when it comes to aim, if their are in combat. Well that changes a lot

Because of the general consensus of never spending a feat slot on something you can just buy instead? *shrugs*

Unless we're talking about finesse where its hardly worth it when you can finally afford it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:48:50 PM by Masakan »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:01 AM »
That's when you buy the finesse feat and retrain your finesse feat.

Same as everything else you can't buy early game where such feats are a bit more optimal for early game combat but those slots can be put to much better use in mid to late game where having a feat slot filled with precise shot or weapon finesse is kind of wasteful.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 01:09:30 AM »
If you are not investing into the precise/point blank line of feats for ranged attacks but need a ranged weapon for some purpose it is great. Characters like clerics or other gishes would probably prefer their feats going to stuff that enhances spellcasting (like Metamagic and Divine Metamagic cheese).

To be fair though you do need Precise Shot as a feat for Splitting Enchant.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
Maybe, but the Precise Shot feat is a prerequisite for so much an archer wants, and the weapon enhancement doesn't provide you with the feat, or even the benefits of the feat.  It just removes the same penalty.

The Precise weapon quality is decent for someone who does archery as a secondary or tertiary role, but if it's your main shtick, you want the feat.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
Maybe, but the Precise Shot feat is a prerequisite for so much an archer wants, and the weapon enhancement doesn't provide you with the feat, or even the benefits of the feat.  It just removes the same penalty.

The Precise weapon quality is decent for someone who does archery as a secondary or tertiary role, but if it's your main shtick, you want the feat.

Define Main if you will. Ok let me give you an example, Say that you have a character who is primarily a spellcasting Sneak attacking skillmonkey With an emphasis on being the party face...among other things, But would still want to have archery to defend themselves. Should they gun for the feat or wait till they can afford the enchant?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:57:36 PM by Masakan »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
You could also spend ~10k+ and get a magic item that actually grants the feat, in any case.