Author Topic: Good Flaws for a Noncombatant?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Good Flaws for a Noncombatant?
« on: March 30, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Among the list of official flaws from unearthed arcana, what flaws would be good for someone who is a noncombatant?
And by noncombatant, I mean someone who either prefers to outsmart their opponents, gets the jump on them or prefers to talk their way out, basically anything that doesn't involve a head on fight.

Personally I'm torn between Frail, Vulnerable, Shaky and Noncombatant(Obviously)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Flaws for a Noncombatant?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
Unreactive. You don't want to fight anyways.

Shaky is always an easy grab if you have no plans to spec for shooting things. Shooting casually does not count.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
Unreactive. You don't want to fight anyways.

Shaky is always an easy grab if you have no plans to spec for shooting things. Shooting casually does not count.

I've always been fond of shaky basically a free feat for most of my builds, not so sure about unreactive that -6 hurts

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
Hurts what? You don't want to be in a fight anyways. Stand in the back  :P

Sure ppl say initiative is the most important part of a fight, but nobody ever actually is in enough trouble in the first round to care when your turn is, you'll get a turn anyways. And in the games it does matter, you and everybody else are OP enough for a -6 to be entirely overshadowed by init buffs and are no doubt strong enough to end most fights in ten seconds or less~
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:23:32 PM by ketaro »

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »
If you're not planning on making attack rolls anyway, Code of Arms, Pride of Arms, Honorable Challenge, and Honor of the Duel can all be good flaws to take.  Hot-Blooded and Cold-Blooded aren't bad flaws regardless of character build, Fussy is fine if you don't use potions very much, Divine Gesture is okay for an unarmoured divine spellcaster, and Metal Intolerance is good if you don't plan on being in combat, too.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
If you're not planning on making attack rolls anyway, Code of Arms, Pride of Arms, Honorable Challenge, and Honor of the Duel can all be good flaws to take.  Hot-Blooded and Cold-Blooded aren't bad flaws regardless of character build, Fussy is fine if you don't use potions very much, Divine Gesture is okay for an unarmoured divine spellcaster, and Metal Intolerance is good if you don't plan on being in combat, too.

Among the list of official flaws from unearthed arcana,

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »
While those aren't from Unearthed Arcana, they are official flaws. Dragon Magazine is 100% Official D&D 3.5 Content, it says so on the cover  :tongue

But yes, out of Unearthed Arcana ones, a noncombatant is best simply taking Noncombatant and Murky-Eyed. I do not recommend Unreactive, because if you do get into a fight and you're not specced for combat, going first can let you run away before the enemy has their turn.

Why Murky-Eyed instead of Shaky? There are plenty of uses for ranged attacks that don't need you to be a combatant. Dart games in taverns, passing your friend an item, or slinging rocks from behind cover if you are put into a situation where your combatant friends are busy and you need to pass the time. Not all enemies will have Concealment.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:12 AM »
While those aren't from Unearthed Arcana, they are official flaws. Dragon Magazine is 100% Official D&D 3.5 Content, it says so on the cover  :tongue

But yes, out of Unearthed Arcana ones, a noncombatant is best simply taking Noncombatant and Murky-Eyed. I do not recommend Unreactive, because if you do get into a fight and you're not specced for combat, going first can let you run away before the enemy has their turn.

Why Murky-Eyed instead of Shaky? There are plenty of uses for ranged attacks that don't need you to be a combatant. Dart games in taverns, passing your friend an item, or slinging rocks from behind cover if you are put into a situation where your combatant friends are busy and you need to pass the time. Not all enemies will have Concealment.

So just be someone who needs glasses, sounds good to me.