Author Topic: Best 2nd invocation for a Devil's Sight Shadow Monk / Warlock 2?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
I've recently joined a campaign run by some friends as a monk/warlock who is currently level 3 (Monk 1/Warlock 2), but I haven't finished picking out invocations.  One is definitely going to be Devil's Sight for the obvious synergy, but I'm undecided on the second one and thought I'd ask for your thoughts.

Currently the two frontrunning choices I have in mind are either 'silent image at-will' or 'read all text', although elsewhere on the web I've seen the detect magic option rated highly.

I'm leaaaaning towards the silent image at-will for out of combat utility and sneaking, but this campaign has a lot of homebrew shit in it, so maybe another option would be better, idk.

If anyone has any campaign experience with stand-out level 2 accessible invocations, I'd love to hear about them.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
Re: Best 2nd invocation for a Devil's Sight Shadow Monk / Warlock 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Agonizing Blast is the usual reason for taking 2 levels of Warlock.

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
As a monk with only 13 charisma though.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Disguise Self at-will + Disguise Kit tool prof + Friends cantrip = no I didn't see that guy you hate, why do you ask?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
If no one else in your group has easy access to Detect Magic, Eldritch Sight is your best bet.  Misty Visions is good if and only if your DM is cool with letting illusions actually work the way they should.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
If no one else in your group has easy access to Detect Magic, Eldritch Sight is your best bet.  Misty Visions is good if and only if your DM is cool with letting illusions actually work the way they should.

In a recent session, a level 2 wizard I was running scared off a party of level 8 mercenaries using silent image to fake an army of grungs coming to murder their faces. (The rest of the party make the noises). So pretty reasonable about illusions working the way they should.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
The wizard is likely to cover Detect Magic for you via rituals then.  Or he should.  You would then only benefit from Eldritch Sight when he's not there or you actually need Detect Magic in 6 seconds as opposed to 10 minutes.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA