Author Topic: Voices Echoing in Twilight [OOC]  (Read 21429 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Voices Echoing in Twilight [OOC]
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
While you're at it, check out DonQuixote's Jester. It's like a Charisma-based Factotum!

I actually did when I looked at all the homebrew!  It was my number two choice!

Yeah, DQ always brings the best stuff to the party.

Really, though, look at dipping into it for your spellsinger. It's got a 2/encounter +Cha as competence to a skill check (or attack or save if you need) right at 1st level, alongside Cha to AC. It's yet another options for boosting those Spellsong checks sky high. I'd have put it on the list if I'd remembered it before I hit post.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
Kind of depends if you want other players to act in combat. The spellsinger is balanced around Arhosa and the design philosophy that motivated it. In WotC based D&D, with item familiars and +30 items and all the aid another tricks, a spellsinger can take down a wild mob of Tarrasques in a single round. More than almost any other class, it's dependent on the level of optimization going into it. Right now I think it's easily broken.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
Well I could play a Jester if you'd like to avoid that whole thing.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
At 3rd level, the Spellsinger is roughly balanced around a skill check result of 30 (so an average roll of 11, +19 on the check). I don't think it would cause too many problems at those numbers... but the magic system still needs work regardless.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
Too late Strat, now you're talking about overhauling the central aspect of the class!

Can I play a Jester?  I'm assuming I'll only have access to the Bard spell list and am okay with that.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »
Strat, Cheap magic items, yay or nay?

Sirp, persisting Æther Reinforcement seems a little inefficient with æther. It's got an hour/level duration by default (3 hours). If you're worried about it running out at the exact moment an encounter randomly starts, you can always unforge and reforge it when it's got 5-10 minutes left. It's slightly more tedious but equally viable for 10 minute/level forgings like Ætherial Fortification. I don't see all that much point in using Persistent Forging except on short duration forgings (1 minute/level and less).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »
Too late Strat, now you're talking about overhauling the central aspect of the class!

Can I play a Jester?  I'm assuming I'll only have access to the Bard spell list and am okay with that.

Go ahead.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
Garryl, those are awesome and I love the idea. Never saw them cause you posted during my long hiatus.

Sirp, persisting Æther Reinforcement seems a little inefficient with æther. It's got an hour/level duration by default (3 hours). If you're worried about it running out at the exact moment an encounter randomly starts, you can always unforge and reforge it when it's got 5-10 minutes left. It's slightly more tedious but equally viable for 10 minute/level forgings like Ætherial Fortification. I don't see all that much point in using Persistent Forging except on short duration forgings (1 minute/level and less).
Hm, I suppose you're right. Okie dokes. Saves me some æther for reals. And I'm a dwarf in heavy armor, it's not like I'd be moving fast anyway. Lol.

Any suggestions on things to persist besides the BEAST?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
Heeeeeey Strat, am I allowed to get all weird and crazy with my Jester?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Garryl, those are awesome and I love the idea. Never saw them cause you posted during my long hiatus.

Well, that's what you get for having a life and then not obsessively reading through every thing you missed.

Hm, I suppose you're right. Okie dokes. Saves me some æther for reals. And I'm a dwarf in heavy armor, it's not like I'd be moving fast anyway. Lol.

BEAST
Moar BEAST
BEASTie Boys

But seriously, though, an Ætherfire Aura on Venn's monk, Nans's jester, and possibly the BEAST would not be amiss. The 1 minute/level duration combined with the repeatability of forging means you could try to keep it up manually, but it would start to get sketchy with only a 3 minute duration.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
Question: If I throw a sling bullet is that an improvised weapon?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »

BEAST
Moar BEAST
BEASTie Boys

But seriously, though, an Ætherfire Aura on Venn's monk, Nans's jester, and possibly the BEAST would not be amiss. The 1 minute/level duration combined with the repeatability of forging means you could try to keep it up manually, but it would start to get sketchy with only a 3 minute duration.
Hm. Well, I could do that, though it might be even better to use Force Æther to get +3d4 damage on demand, instead of +1d4 all day. Not sure.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
Hm. Well, I could do that, though it might be even better to use Force Æther to get +3d4 damage on demand, instead of +1d4 all day. Not sure.

I hadn't thought about that. The 2d8 damage you take would be a problem if you're doing it repeatedly, so you'd likely have to save it for prebuffing time when you expect a fight is about to start shortly, or once the encounter has already begun. I've gotten into the mindset of standard action mid-combat buffing = bad for my character, since I've got too many sweet things to do.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »

So, my character is going to have been a noble-in-hiding. Do you want to be my family's court jester? We were captured as hostages and trained in combat subsequent to our rescue, but our rescuers' ascetic order was too stuffy for us. :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

So, my character is going to have been a noble-in-hiding. Do you want to be my family's court jester? We were captured as hostages and trained in combat subsequent to our rescue, but our rescuers' ascetic order was too stuffy for us. :D

Are you okay with me being weird and crazy?  :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »

Are you okay with me being weird and crazy?  :P

Just a general note that the one-shot is mostly going to be (from the NPC side) in generic western fantasy mode. For those who haven't recognized the name (hopefully everyone), it's a less well known WotC adventure, and they don't stray too far from that. How you want to approach the adventure is up to you.

Question: If I throw a sling bullet is that an improvised weapon?

Initial reaction is no, since you're doing exactly what you're supposed to with a sling bullet, just with a less efficacious form of propulsion.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Well that puts a damper on things since there are no cheap readily available improvised weapons that I could carry a shit-ton of to throw at people.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
Stones/pebbles, standard marbles I'd think (they don't have the same build as sling bullets), anything picked up off the ground. Look through the standard, core equipment list and find anything small and light enough to carry in a sack. Caltrops? Torches? All fair game, I imagine!

Also, yes, I'm ok with a quick jester. That's the point, no? You'd also likely be the one thing in the world capable of giving me character a chuckle.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
Stones/pebbles, standard marbles I'd think (they don't have the same build as sling bullets), anything picked up off the ground. Look through the standard, core equipment list and find anything small and light enough to carry in a sack. Caltrops? Torches? All fair game, I imagine!

Also, yes, I'm ok with a quick jester. That's the point, no? You'd also likely be the one thing in the world capable of giving me character a chuckle.

Venn has the right idea here. :clap

Although I will gently nudge the two of you over at the other game you're in  :poke