Author Topic: The Eye of the Sun  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
The Eye of the Sun
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
Background:
The mood amongst the adventurers was good. Or rather, had been good. Today, it was significantly less so. A great storm of fire had swept across the Khud-Al jungle, sending the adventurers fleeing before it and consuming the treasures they had been able to recover from a tumbledown city of stone. Now possessed of only what they carried with them, they were both frustrated and relieved, weeks of effort literally gone up in smoke.

The only good to come of the devastation was that their flight had led them to stumble across Tooj-Reh, a rough-hewn frontier town and a haven for explorers and traders of the Khud-Al jungle. The group had heard of the town, of course, but had entered the sprawling mess of the jungle from the south, and never thought to be driven this far from their point of origin. At least there might be work here...

Opening:
The four of you find the streets of Tooj-Reh damp at the end of a sudden rainstorm, one of the sort that seems to be common in jungle lands, and one that has done nothing to quell the spirit or activity of the locals. Clearly, weather of this sort is considered a normal cost of living in Tooj-Reh.

The town itself sits in a small valley between low mountains blanketed with dense jungle, jungle that still shows the remnants of the burn that had driven you here. Not that the townsfolk seemed overly worried. Nor do they appear to care about your arrival. Indeed, they pay little attention to you beyond a curt nod.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: The Eye of the Sun
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Rotu glares around at the town with his customary scowl, and the twin ends of his forked and braided beard snap with faint sparks of æther, nearly invisible in the sooty air. "Well, great. Start the parade, we've discovered the arse-end of nowhere. And I'll bet all the treasure that just went up in flames that there's no chance of finding a decent ale."

Given Rotu's usual conversational proclivities, it seems that the party's near escape from fiery death has put him in an excellent mood.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
"Hooray, a parade!"  Yangles smiles at Rotu's scowl, showing all of his pointy little teeth in this display of joy.  He does a cartwheel and then frowns when everyone else just stands there.

"Oh, you didn't mean it.  That's no fun!"

With all of this out of his system, Yangles looks up at Lyrae to see what they'll do next.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
Rotu stares at the little fey with an incredulous expression, then points off down an alley. "I saw something shiny that way. It was moving pretty fast, so you'll probably have to chase it for a long time."

He turns to Lyrae, as if daring her to say something.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »
It had been a long time since Lyrae had rested her sore feet. Walking through the Khud-Al jungle was vastly different than the cobbled-stone and packed-dirt streets she was used to. Particularly, it was much more damp.

So very, very damp.

The fire that swept through the jungle, burning trees to cinders and scorching ancient stone with black soot, certainly took that concern off her mind for a time, but the rain-soaked streets of Tooj-Reh has brought it back full-force. She frowns as she scrapes some muck from the soles of her boots.

However, Yangles's sudden antics brightens her mood, if just a little.

"Don't worry, Yangles. I'm sure by the end of our stay in this town, you'll have a grand parade to lead. I'd suggest elephants, but this town's a bit small for such large beasts. I'm sure you'll find a suitably magnificent replacement."

She grins briefly, flashing bright white teeth that betray her humble traveling clothes. Her encouragement of the jester's foolery did little to earn any respect from the traveling companions the duo had fallen in with, but otherwise she maintained a solemn facade while getting down to business.

"In any case, it's certainly been a very long day. We should find a place to stay while we figure out what our next move is. Perhaps they will even have ale serviceable enough for Rotu to get drunk from."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Rotu snorts derisively. "If you question my ability to get drunk off of any ale whatsoever, you don't know me at all."

Without another word, and pointedly ignoring Yangles, he stomps (or perhaps, squelches) off towards the nearest likely building, searching for an inn or alehouse.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:18 AM »
Serris trudges along with a quiet shrug. Getting soaked has not exactly made him more talkative.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
"Well then let's go!" Yangles says.  He tries to skip but skipping in mud just doesn't work with his short little legs so he just walks next to Roku, too busy cleaning the mud off of his hands after that cartwheel to perform any more antics.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »
"Judging by your lightly smoked appearance, I assume you were driven here by the fire and are looking for the inn. You won't find one. It burned down a week or two ago." The speaker was a smiling man dressed in a functional outfit that somehow managed to sprout a few feathers, here and there. Presumably it was a nod towards some kind of career as a mystic while retaining the practicality of attire necessary for frontier life. Either way, he alone out of the townsfolk seemed willing and able to talk to the new arrivals.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
"Do you have a nest that you could share with us mister bird man," Yangles asks politely.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:51:49 PM »
Lyrae addresses the man with a brief nod and a smile.

"I'm sorry to hear it, sir. Do you happen to... wait, you say it burned down a week or two ago? Are fires a recurring problem around these parts?"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »
"You'd think not, based on the rain, but we've had four fires in the last few months." He paused. "Never really introduced myself properly, did I? I'm Siroo, one of the local shamans. I do my best to help out around the town and take care of people's needs, be they physical, spiritual, or medical. If you've got the scratch, well, I wouldn't do amiss with a donation to keep these fine folks healthy. It's hard when important buildings keep burning down. At least my house isn't one of them."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Rotu's glare turns ferocious, and he lets out a growl which could rumble the very mountains. "How can you possibly take care of your people without an alehouse?! Ale is the only medicine that matters, and I don't see you getting your hands dirty."

The cantankerous dwarf turns to the rest of the measly town. "Is there at least any work to be had around here? Or is this literally the worst town in existence?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Annoyed at being completely ignored, Yangles decides to step it up.

"Scratch?  I've got all the scratches you could ever need!"  Having declared his, Yangles skips forward and starts scratching Siroo's legs furiously.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »
"Work around here is much as you'd expect from a frontier town. There's farming, woodworking, all the usual duties. Mostly though, we're a hunting and gathering group. The herbs, animals, and other resources of the jungle pay for everything you see." Looking thoughtful, Siroo waved vaguely at the forest's edge. "Not too many people go deep into the jungle these days. Hunters spotted figures lurking in the dense jungle. Or so they say. Whatever's out there, the hunters have limited their expeditions to the very edges of the jungle. You go deeper, the traders who want the resources will make you rich men. And if you don't mind my saying so, you look like you could use a good break. Don't think the fire that brought you here did you kindly."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:25:50 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
"That it did not. These fires are concerning, however. Are they random, or is there anything that links them? I can't imagine fire would be so prevalent in such a damp place with the exception of lightning strikes."

Lyrae seems intent on discovering more about the fire storm, and less concerned about making money. These villagers wouldn't know or care about her family, and had no reason to think a stranger to their lands wouldn't be interested in making decent coin, but Lyrae was on to a mystery. Beyond that, she had to get to the bottom of whatever force moved to drive them from the ruins, and wipe out their goods in the process...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
"We're... not really sure. Hunters saw a strange light coming from a hilltop in the jungle, many miles deeper in. Even at night, so it's not just the sun glinting. Sometimes it pulses; other times it is steady, and it varies considerably in intensity. And supposedly there's buildings near where the light originates from. On the other hand... it's only four fires in a few months, so if there's someone out there, they aren't making much of a concerted effort to burn the town to the ground." Siroo shrugged. "Mostly no one is brave enough to go explore. It's too far in for any of the types here to risk. And it doesn't pay well enough, either. Or at least that's the excuse everyone gives."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
Rotu heaves a mighty sigh, and turns back toward the misting, smoking jungle. "I honestly can't remember why I ever left the mountainhold. I hate forests and jungles. Leave them to the elves, my grandfather always said, and I should've listened. But if there's no ale here, at least we can try and collect some more gold. Especially if some people," he shoots the shaman a dirty look, "can get the alehouse up and running again by the time we get back."

He stomps through the mud toward the treeline, obviously expecting everyone else to follow his unimpeachable logic.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
Yangles is so bored, this man won't even pay attention to him!

He heaves the heaviest sigh and trudges after Rotu looking very dejected.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
"Don't feel so depressed, Yangles. I'm sure we'll meet someone rather more fun soon! And, perhaps, discover what's going on around here along the way..."

Lyrae follows the forming-group's lead. She casts a glance over her shoulder back at Siroo, considered skepticism and concern both evident in her expression.