Author Topic: Artificer Cohort  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
Artificer Cohort
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
So, I'm gearing up to start a new campaign with my Archivist.  It's a small group, with only one other player, so we've both been given a free cohort.  Since the DM has agreed to use the pre-errata version of the artificer, that's obviously the strongest choice for my character.  Basically, as long as I'm willing to pay for the cohort to make the scroll, I can have it.  (the DM isn't going to enforce the "scribing into the prayerbook" time or cost).

My problem is that the cohort is still going to be needed at least somewhat for non-scroll scribing activities, and I don't know much about the class.  So what I would like help with is making an artificer that:
1. has a decent amount of cost reduction on scroll making
2. is still useful in combat
3. can serve as a skillmonkey in a pinch

The other player is playing a druid, and is no stranger to optimization.  I'm not sure what his cohort is going to be, but I'm sure it will be no pushover, so feel free to go nuts (non-TO, obviously^^)

Sources: anything 3.5 or un-updated 3.0, Dragon/Dungeon Mag, Pathfinder, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron, occasional homebrew with permission (it will have to be really good to get approved, though)

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Artificer Cohort
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
Will you be able to then instruct the cohort to use the gold you paid him to craft the scroll for you, and use that gold to craft items for you to buy at cost? And then use the gold to craft yet more stuff that you buy at cost? (And then the cohort use that surplus gold to craft himself superior armor and weapons)?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Hazren

• Lurker
  • Some people have fantasies. I have fond memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
I'll be happy to help, just need to know what level is the artificer?
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »
Will you be able to then instruct the cohort to use the gold you paid him to craft the scroll for you, and use that gold to craft items for you to buy at cost? And then use the gold to craft yet more stuff that you buy at cost? (And then the cohort use that surplus gold to craft himself superior armor and weapons)?

He's effectively an extension of my own character, yes.  He'll get his own half share of treasure to use for himself, and then I can also pay him to craft stuff for me at half price (until the craft reserve is empty at least - we'll have to work out how to handle that when we get to it)  The DM is handling the backstory of why he's so indebted to me, but I do know that he feels he owes me his life, so my stuff has priority, and he'll pretty much be willing to do just about anything for me. 

I'll be happy to help, just need to know what level is the artificer?

We'll be starting at 3rd level, so the cohorts will be starting at 1st.  In theory at least, this is supposed to be a long term game, so advice up to 17th would be great!

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
Can you choose his race?  If so, make him a Warforged and have him take the level 1 and level 4 substitution levels, which gives him Infuse Self that gives +1 CL on all infusions he does on himself, and Tools of War, which replaces Craft Homonculus and allows him to get 2 xp of benefit for every 1 xp he uses from his craft reserve when enchanting himself, or making magic armor, shields, or weapons.  Make sure he does not take the level 5 substitution level, as that would remove Retain Essence, which is his 'recycle the xp from this magic treasure into something more useful' ability.
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »
Yep, I'm supposed to do all of the cohort's character creation, so (subject to DM's approval, of course) I can choose whatever options I want.  And those sound like some excellent suggestions, thank you.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:14:36 AM »
I second the Warforged Artificer.  In addition to Mnemnosyne's notes, him being a Warforged gives you plenty of story and gameplay options not just limited to the backstory of owing you his life.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:01:25 AM »
I have a warforged artificer character IRL right now, and it's so much fun.  I third that suggestion.

So, for your party you have two full divine casters and two melee characters (druid and animal companion), correct?  I have a build for a warforged meleeficer if you'd like it.  It's not super-optimized, but it can give you a starting point.

Warforged Artificer 17/Fighter 2/Lion Totem Barbarian 1 (in some order)

Feats (using one flaw): Adamantine Body, Jaws of Death, Item Familiar, Extend Spell, Multiattack, Persistent Spell, Second Slam, Improved Natural Attack: Slam, Etch Schema, Wand Surge, Legendary Artisan, Wand Mastery, one fighter feat.

Minor Schemas of Divine Power & Righteous Might (for persisting), etc.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline DoctorGlock

• Lurker
  • I exist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »
I fourth the warforged suggestion, unless you really want to focus on scroll price reductions.

Unbound scroll from Dragonmarked will cut another 25% off creation costs but it locks your race and does not progress your craft reserve. Artificer qualifies for item familiar which gives you a mini reserve but you might as well stick warforged artificer for reserve+ at that point.
Arnold, what is best in life?
To crush your political opposition, see the incumbents driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their constituents!