Author Topic: Sorc 3 / Druid 2 and a Hat  (Read 2214 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Sorc 3 / Druid 2 and a Hat
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:58:47 PM »
Subtle Meta gets rid of V+S.  Dark Crystal or Hat or Ruby , in Xanathar's p136+ , are 100gp arcane focusi (as in it could be anything really) = Ta Da , Natural Spell equivalent at level 5.  Should also work with Holly berries (etc) for the Druid.  Make the item during downtime just before sorc 3.  Maybe a custom cheapy magic item combines together druid focus and sorc+ focus.

Sorc 1 / Druid 2 / Sorc 2+ , coasts on moon power at ecl 4 , good after
Sorc 1 / Druid 3 / Sorc 2+ , "feels" better than above , worst level falls on Cantrip boost
Sorc 1 / Druid 5 / Sorc 2+ , a weaker combo , soft until Sorc 5
Sorc 1 / Druid 3 / Sorc to 3 / Druid +X , more druidy , sorc 2 gets the meta points over for wildshape

War Caster feat first , then whichever Caster stat +2 and +2.

more edits
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:23:39 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
Re: Sorc 3 / Druid 2 and a Hat
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »
Unfortunately, the PHB states that, while under the effects of Wild Shape, you can't cast spells.

As a DM, I think I would stick to the RAW on this. Druids are currently good, a multiclass workaround that achieved Natural Spell would make them scary awesome (again).

On the other hand, there's not been a single druid played at my table in 5th, so... Maybe I would allow it after all. Still homebrew though.
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »
(late reply ... snow day excuse)

Wild Shape : You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast ... You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal ...

hmm, you're right for Druids in isolation, and as a ruling it's fine.  I think the Sorc has enough work arounds (and certainly if being treated as a ruling).  Maybe a middle ground would be :  still can't do divine spells, because that's what it says, but arcanes are ok with this specific set up.

Some part of normal spellcasting is retained, while in Wildshape.
It doesn't say anything about what happens to the Divine Focus, except for "functions as normal" which may or may not be part of the WS no casting problem.
Presumably that focus doesn't have to be brandished or noticeable, while the legal parts of a spell are happening.

Polymorph has this restriction : The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature of its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells, or take any other action that requires hands or speech.  So then the Sorc part doesn't need V or S with Subtle, specifically working around that part.  And one of the new focuses can be treated just like the divine focus = "functions as normal", even though there's no specific text about that.

I guess my bottom line position is Sorcs can cast in Polymorph and now in WS too because of the hat (+similar).  And concede that rulings can easily say no.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »
If it gets some variability into Polymorph, I'd allow it. Instead of all giant ape, all the time.

But who am I kidding, it would still be giant ape time, just with spells.
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.