Author Topic: PF Archetype Ratings?  (Read 471 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
PF Archetype Ratings?
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
Beyond the traditional class handbooks and one archetype tier list, is there anywhere that has archetypes rated based on power (or whatever)?

There's quite a few archetypes that are missed on many of the handbooks, because they haven't been touched in a half decade. And I was curious as to other peoples' views on their power levels.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline akalsaris

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I put the laughter in manslaughter!
    • View Profile
Re: PF Archetype Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »
I don't think so. There's an interesting thread in the 2nd ed forum where the designers asked players to list their top 5 fav archetypes, which is a useful metric for seeing which ones are ahead of the curve.

With original PF on track to stop new content releases in a year or so, it should be feasible to start this sort of large-scale tier/rating. I'm not sure what the value of such a resource would be outside of the class handbooks though.

My vote for strongest archetype is probably master summoner.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:50:21 AM »
My vote for strongest archetype is probably master summoner.
For the ceiling, probably. For the floor, Synthesist is leagues better, which is why its banned from the "official" campaigns. Kind of hard to actually be screwed as a Synthesist, all things considered, because too many Eidolon capabilities stack up.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:57 AM »
The good Pact Wizard, Jinx Witch, Death Druid, Razmiran Priest Sorcerer, and Bladebound Magus are probably my top 5.

Master Summoner got banned too, probably ground the combats out with multiple summons. PFS GMs are now allowed to remove buddies that cause too many problems with a particular combat.

Edit: found that thread
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:29:29 AM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
Don't really see the point. Major tier shifts in archetypes are usually already listed in tier lists. If you want to know the top archetypes for each class, I can crank some out quickly:

Wizard: Exploiter Wizard, Spellslinger (if going for DC abuse)
Sorcerer: Razmiran Priest, Mongrel Mage
Oracle: Spirit Guide, Cyclopean Seer maybe if you want to abuse natural 20s, like with a Vorpal blade.
Arcanist: Eldritch Font, Occultist
Witch: Beast-Bonded
Cleric: Ecclesitheurge
Druid: Nature Priest, Halcyon Druid, Pack Lord (esp. with multiple Boon Companion feats)
Ranger: Beast Master (with multiple Boon Companion feats), Witchguard (if you are willing to burn feats on getting back the animal companion through Exotic Heritage into Sylvan or Animal Ally - the Witchguard perk is taking Strength patron for Divine Favor, Greater Magic Weapon, and Divine Power mostly)
Summoner: Master Summoner
Monk: Sohei, Zen Archer
Fighter: Martial Master, Mutation Warrior, Viking, Child of Acavna and Amaznen
Rogue: Eldritch Scoundrel
Vigilante: Pick a spellcasting archetype, really. Zealot and Magical Child probably are best.
Barbarian: Invulnerable Rager
Bloodrager: Primalist, Crossblooded Rager (depending on your selection and ability to cover will saves, as you do eat -4 will), Metamagic Rager (easily beats Improved Uncanny Dodge)
Shifter: Adaptive Shifter, Weretouched Shifter
Paladin: Oath of Vengeance
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:20:07 PM by Power »