Author Topic: Crowdsourcing my Fluff  (Read 1983 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Crowdsourcing my Fluff
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:51:00 AM »
So I am running a game in a Soulsborne-esque world for my PCs and they are about to enter the main dungeon ruins and everything.  I am trying to crib from Souls storytelling style by not quite explaining the story, but I still wanted to drop bits of lore notes here and there, just enough to pull together a credible narrative.  Namely from the notes of the BBEG scattered here and there.

But it would be weird if it was just his notes around, right?  And anyway a lot of it is just for setting fluff.  It's a lot of work, and I am uncertain about my writing ability.  I had a thought though: if I informed others of the setting and the scenario... what if people other than me wrote random notes about the place and its problems?

Is this a good idea?  Can I bother you guys to help me be more lazy?

I will explain the setting anyway.  So it is a pseudo-renaissance setting in the main superpower of the world at that time.  They have castles, they have magic, and they've been doing a lot of research into the mysteries of the supernatural universe and eldritch things.  Then at some point someone (not at this location, but nearby) seriously fucks up and Berserk's Eclipse basically happens.  The nation sinks into a pool of blood, monsters boil up from the ground, people go insane and feel the warp overtaking them, etc. etc.  Oh and all their fancy eldritch artifacts they were digging up and seemed to have no use turned on, fun that.  It's nasty for everyone involved and the whole land is cursed.  That was like 100 years ago, and that apocalypse technically ended (or went quiet and stopped spreading anyway).

When these ruins still had life in them, the notes would have been just before and immediately after this supernatural apocalypse occurred.  And I am trying to think of good notes from the lives of people who would have lived at that castle, and how they would have reacted to the sky turning into an endless field of skinned rat corpses and tentacles pouring out of their eyes.  After all they weren't ground zero so they would have survived for a short time before they fled/died, with all the castle mages trying to figure on what the heck was going on.

Even if you can't think of any in character notes from randoms to make, trying to figure out who was where doing what might help. 
Mudada.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Crowdsourcing my Fluff
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
from one lazy shit to another  ;) .....
for starters, you could try mining some call of cthulhu quotes and piecemeal some of them together:
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/quotes.aspx
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/cthulhu
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/25692046-the-call-of-cthulhu
(click to show/hide)

how's that for starters?