Author Topic: Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star,[...]: Discussion Thread  (Read 4294 times)

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star,[...]: Discussion Thread
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
this thing is still not finished yet. i'd be happy to add any advice you give me. so feel free to discuss the mystic ranger, the shooting star substitution levels and the sotao feat in this thread. ;-)

thanks in advance. :)

Offline jywu98

• And with strange aeons even death may die
    • View Profile
Re: Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star,[...]: Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
How are you able to qualify for Arcane Hunter? The entry states that it requires Favored Enemy and ranger level 1st. Mystic Rangers get it at 2nd level.

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
How are you able to qualify for Arcane Hunter? The entry states that it requires Favored Enemy and ranger level 1st. Mystic Rangers get it at 2nd level.
well ok, raw it does not work i have to admit, but any reasonable dm should let this one fly.

Offline lieronet

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rock You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
Necropooooooooooooooooost

Arcane Hierophant is a great PrC option if you take a Wiz 1 dip, it fully advances Wildshape (if you go for the Wildshape Ranger ACF), Animal Companion, and both Wizard and Ranger spells. It does rely on your DM ruling that your Wizard spells in the Ranger slots are Arcane, though. Works best with a backported Pathfinder ranger for better CL and Animal Companion progression.

Otherwise, if you're okay with less good spellcasting, Master of Many Forms is pretty great. Losing some fifth level spells/day is worth the kind of versatility you get out of 19-20 HD worth of MOMF wildshaping.
What would you think if I sang out of tune?

Offline Hades

• Stop Time, Thou art so beautiful!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:57:18 AM »
I agree that Arcane Hierophant is a nice dip for a Mystic Ranger. Here I created a build sometimes ago for a Mystic Ranger Arcane Hierophant: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11863.0

One of the best things is the caster level stacking, and with it, if you go with Fleshraker dino wild shape and cast venomfire, the bonus damage is NASTY.

Offline lieronet

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rock You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
Concerning that Trackless Step bit, Bamboo Spirit Folk from OA get Trackless Step as a racial ability. You'd have to work with your DM, as the Arcane Hierophant does specify, but you can skip the level in Wildrunner with it.
What would you think if I sang out of tune?

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the input. I'll try to include it as soon as I have time. :)