Author Topic: Oslecamo's guide for DMs to improve their monsters-Discussion Thread  (Read 21507 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Oslecamo's guide for DMs to improve their monsters-Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
Finally got some free time to check back on this.

Thanks a lot for that compilation Thurbane, added it to the main guide!

Offline Talore

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Viking Skald
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
Hey, looked over the updated guide again last night, I absolutely love this handbook. I just brewed up a quite effective little mook to throw into encounters. It uses Archivist to cast True Strike, then Hunter's Mercy from SpC, using the sudden extend feat on one. Then on the third turn, it fires with a +22 to hit that is an auto-crit if it hits for an average of 36 damage if you position them 30ft up for plunging shot. The maximum potential damage is 54! It only works once, at which point they just become weak archers, but they can still use star arrows to illuminate the battlefield, smoke arrows to screen allies, and serpentstongue arrows to cut ropes and trigger traps! Stick them 150ft away for best results, but 300ft away means they still get +20 to hit.

All this for a mere CR 1. Do note that I went over the normal wealth allowance for a first-level NPC, so the excess should be factored into the loot the party gets. (Remember that with 5ft faster speed and with mandatory high positioning, these guys are adept at running away if the fight turns south). They do very well with a dragonfire inspiration bard backing them up, increasing the average crit damage by 10.5 and maximum by 18.

There really should be mention of the Alphorn, giving enemy bard mooks a range of miles for their (dragonfire inspiration) inspire courage abilities. As long as they are notified in the central chamber of a dungeon, their music can resonate through the whole place, and doubles as a warning alarm.

Sniper Mook CR 1
Wild(DR 305) Arctic(DR 305) Wood Elf Archivist 1
Neutral Humanoid (Elf)
Init +2; Senses Low-Light Vision, Listen +3, Spot +3
Languages Common, Elven

AC 14 touch 11 flat-footed 12
     (+3 armour, +2 dex, -1 flaw)
Hp 5 (1HD)
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1

Speed 35ft (7 squares)
Melee Longspear +2 (1d8+6/x2, reach)
Ranged Long-Range Dragonbone Composite Longbow (+4 strength rating) +2 (1d8+4/x3, 150ft)
Space 5ft.; Reach 5ft., reach
Base Atk +0; Grp +4
Atk options Plunging Shot (+1d6 damage if 30ft above target)
Combat Gear Weapons plus 20 serpentstongue arrows or star arrows or smoke arrows

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 6
SQ Elf Traits, +1 saves vs. cold
Feats Sudden Extend, Point Blank Shot, Plunging Shot; Noncombatant + Vulnerable Flaws
Skills Concentration +6, Heal +3, Spot +3, Listen +3, Survival +5
Possessions Combat gear plusStudded Leather armour

Spells Per Day 3/2(CL 1): Cure Minor Wounds x3, True Strike, Hunter's Mercy
Spells Known All 0-level plus Cure Light Wounds, Obscuring Mist, True Strike(Elf Domain), Hunter's Mercy(Ranger 1,SpC)
Metamagic: Sudden Extend 1/day

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:50:54 PM by Talore »
Insatiable player of odd characters

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
Thanks! Added your sniper minion to the improved monster section and the Alphorn in the classes section.

Offline Talore

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Viking Skald
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
Here's two more complex NPC foes. The Ogre takes advantage of wizard as a unassociated class with Primordial Giant and Spellwarped to boost its INT, and the Wood Woad simply uses a creature with twice as much HD as its challenge rating along with a warblade dip. Plus I had fun with the feats and the fact that it uses a shield in the monster entry to go full-out shield charger. They're only kitted out with mundane items right now, since you should probably outfit creatures based on party level.

I dont think many other people make full use of them, but I really, really like having thrown weapons on my melee creatures. Brutal Throw is the perfect reverse-Weapon Finesse, and Quick Draw even facilitates iteratives. For one handed weapons, the Trident only loses out on threat range versus the longsword to be throwable, and a shortspear still does 1d6+STR in melee. Throwing axes are great light weapons for throwing, and javelins are great if you have quick draw. Even for two-handed beaters, spears and longspears give versatility and almost everyone is proficient with them. Don't underestimate the extra "reach" throwing weapons give you!

Eldritch Ogre CR 7
Spellwarped Primordial Ogre Abrupt Jaunt Martial Feat Conjurer 5
CE Large Aberration (Augmented Giant)
Init +5; Senses Listen +6, Spot +6, Darkvision 60ft
Languages Common, Giant, Dwarven, Goblin, Orc, Terran

AC 23 touch 10 flat-footed 23
     (+7 natural, +6 greater mage armour, +1 dex, -1 size, )
Hp 73 (9 HD)
Fort +10, Ref +4, Will +5
SR 19

Speed 40ft (8 squares), Abrupt Jaunt 4/day
Melee  Mwk Greatsword +13 (3d6+10/19-20)
Space 10ft.; Reach 10ft.
Base Atk +5; Grp +16
Atk options Combat Expertise, Arcane Strike, Powerful Charge
Special Actions Invisibility at-will (CL 5th)
Combat Gear Weapons plus Alchemist's Fire, Tanglefoot Bag

Abilities: Str 24, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 8
SQ Aberration Traits, Spell Absorption
Feats Improved Initiative, Practiced Spellcaster, Combat Expertise, Arcane Strike, Powerful Charge, Combat Casting
Skills Concentration +17, Spellcraft +18
Possessions Combat gear plusSpellbook

Spells Per Day (CL 9) 3-Greater Mage Armour*, Shatterfloor, Fireball; 2- Bladeweave, Wraithstrike(2), Fog Cloud; 1- True Strike, Lesser Orb of Acid(2), Magic Missile(2), Silent Image

Spell Absorption (Su): Whenever a spell fails to penetrate a spellwarped creature’s spell resistance, the creature gains one of the following benefits, chosen at the time that the spell resolves.
Might: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength for 1 minute.
Agility: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity for 1 minute.
Endurance: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution for 1 minute.
Life: The spellwarped creature gains temporary hit points equal to 5 × the level of the failed spell.
Speed: The spellwarped creature’s base speed increases by a number of feet equal to 5 × the level of the failed spell.Resistance: The spellwarped creature gains resistance 10 to one energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic).

Guardian Woad CR 5
Wood Woad Warblade 1
N Medium Plant
Init +6; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages

AC 22 touch 13 flat-footed 19, Block Arrows
     (+4 natural, +3 dex, +2 shield, +3 armor) +2 with movement
Hp 87(9HD)
Fort +13, Ref +9, Will +5

Speed 40ft
Melee  Mwk Trident +14/+9 (1d8+7)
Melee Mwk Spiked Heavy Shield +14/+9 (1d6+7)
Ranged Mwk Trident +14 (1d8+7)
Space 5ft.; Reach 5ft.
Base Atk +7; Grp +16
Atk options Shield Charge, Shield Slam
Special Actions Wood Warp, Treestride
Combat Gear weapons plus two extra tridents, 2 smokesticks, 

Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 4
SQ Plant Traits
Feats Lightning Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Charge, Shield Slam, Brutal Throw, Block Arrow; Murky-Eyed and Pathetic (Charisma) flaws
Skills Balance +6, Hide +7(11), Climb +15
Possessions Combat gear plusMwk Wood Armour

Martial Manoeuvres (IL 5)
Strikes Flesh Ripper, Bone Crusher, Disarming Strike
Stances Absolute Steel

EDIT: And here's another one. A different application of non-associated class levels.

Forest Troll Cutthroat CR 6
Forest Troll Rogue 5
CE Medium Giant
Init +5; Senses  Listen +0, Spot +13, Darkvision 90ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent
Languages Common, Giant

AC 23 touch 15 flat-footed 18
     (+5 natural, +5 dex, +3 armor), Dodge, Mobility, Uncanny Dodge
Hp 110 (10HD)
Fort 13, Ref 11, Will 3

Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft, Spring Attack
Melee Mwk Glaive +14/+9 (1d10+9/19-20) plus poison or
Melee Claw +13 (1d6+6) plus poison and
Melee Bite +11 (1d4+3) or
Ranged Mwk Sling +13 (1d6+7)
Space 5ft.; Reach 5ft., Reach
Base Atk +7; Grp +13
Atk options Sneak Attack +3d6, Staggering Strike, Spring Attack, Poison DC22 (1d6 con/1d6 con)
Special Actions Feign Death, Penetrating Strike
Combat Gear weapons plus 20 sling bullets

Abilities: Str 22, Dex 20, Con 24, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
SQ Fast Healing 5
Feats Multiattack, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Staggering Strike
Skills +10(12) hide, +9 move silently, +10 tumble, +14 climb, +10 balance, Bluff +12
Possessions Combat gear plus Mwk Studded Leather Armour

Staggering Strike(ex): If you deal damage with a melee Sneak Attack, your opponent is Staggered for one round (FortNeg DC =damage dealt). If the target is treated with the Heal skill (DC 15) or any spell that heals at least one hit point, the effect is also removed.

Penetrating Strike(ex): Against an opponent immune to sneak attack damage, you can still deal half sneak attack damage.

Feign Death(ex): As an immediate action, you can enter a catatonic state in which you appear to be dead. While feigning death, you cannot see or feel anything, but you retain the ability to smell, hear, and otherwise follow what is going on around you. While under the effect of this ability, you are immune to all mind-affecting spells and abilities, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, ability drain, negative levels, and death effects. Attempts to resuscitate you, such as raise dead or reincarnation, automatically fail, though resurrection and true resurrection immediately end your feign death ability.

Spells and other effects that assess your current condition, such as status and deathwatch, indicate that you are dead. However, a character who succeeds on a Heal check (DC 15 + 1/2 your level + your Con modifier) can discern that you are actually alive.

You can remain in the catatonic state indefinitely, though you still require food, water, and air. Emerging from feigned death is a standard action.

Varag Raider (Raging) CR 2
Varag Barbarian1/Monk 1
CE Medium Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Init +3; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0; Scent
Languages Goblin

AC 21 touch 15 flat-footed 16
     (+4 armour, +2 shield, +3 dex, +2 dodge); Block Arrow, Expeditious Dodge
Hp 39 (5HD)
Fort 7, Ref 9, Will 3

Speed 60ft (12 squares); Run, Spring Attack
Melee +9/+9/+9 mwk shortsword (1d6+8/19-20) or
Ranged +8 mwk sling (1d4+8, 50ft)
Space 5ft.; Reach 5ft.
Base Atk +4; Grp +10
Atk options Pounce, Flurry of Blows
Special Actions Whirling Frenzy 1/day
Combat Gear Mwk Shortsword, Mwk Sling, 20 sling bullets

Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
SQ Move Silently: A Varag can always take 10 on Move Silently checks
Feats Run, Spring Attack, Block Arrow, Expeditious Dodge, Mobility
Skills Jump +16, Hide +9, Move Silently +11
Possessions Combat gear plus Chain Shirt, Heavy Wooden Shield with Shield Sheath
ACFs Used: Whirling Frenzy Barbarian, Lion Totem Barbarian, Ghurka Style Monk, Martial Monk, Removal of alignment restrictions
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:26:29 AM by Talore »
Insatiable player of odd characters

Offline ZeroSpace

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Blink animation FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:49 AM »
One template that you may wish to consider adding, Oslecamo, is Spellstiched from Complete Arcane. For +1 CR, you get some SLA's  (Number and level determined by Wisdom), +2 to all saves, +2 Turn Resistance, and some negligible Spell Resistance and  DR. The main draw are the SLA's, which can give your undead minion some extra variety.

On a related note, I've just finished stating up an undead stalker for future use. Would you like me to send you the statblock for your handbook?
Ninja vanish! *poof*

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
Having needed to author some side quests for my PCs recently, I wanted to present some reasonable challenges for them without handing out more treasure, thus making them more powerful against the main campaign. I ended up coming up with the following.

Combo #1

Arcane Schooling[Regional] + Prereq Race or Know(local) ranks + Wand Chamber + Partial Charged Wand (swift spells)

Without requiring a non-spellcasting NPC to gain a level in a casting class, and thus modifying their CR, or really much more than a feat, the NPC can improve their action economy and cast a reasonable spell or two.

It doesn't turn over much valuable treasure to PCs either.

Combo #2

Tainted Sorcerer, Excellent spell DCs at mid levels

Undead/Necropolitan or Otherworldly/Outsider + Ritual of Alignment for [evil] subtype

The automatic Corruption scores for Undead/Evil-Outsiders tend to yield superior spell DCs to typical mental scores without the aid of any equipment at mid levels.
As their spellcasting becomes [evil], they can then easily load up Malign Spell Focus, Spell Focus(evil), Planar Touchstone (Evil Domain) for a very easy boost to their entire spell volume.

Yes, of course, they could have maximal corruption scores for unbearable spell DCs, but using the automatic scores should make them reasonably powerful at mid levels, without causing PC revolt. Automatic corruption scores don't stay competitive at high levels.

There are a handful of other buffs than can be thrown in from BoVD, EE, etc. as well. I've been slowly working on a handbook for such things, but I wanted to play a build or two out before I finished and submitted it.

Combo #3

Magical Locations

At a glance, I didn't see them listed in the guide. This is what my PCs were primarily going after. As such, of course I make them face a creature who has obtained the power themselves. I suppose it poses a question of whether it should or shouldn't boost their CR. A small subset list of the most useful, perhaps.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
Combo #2 is a very slippery slope.  If you start using taint mechanics and have an NPC tainted sorcerer, you run the risk of having PCs go for TS and Tainted Scholar.  Just a warning.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Thurbane

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 3.5 fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
I would say the magical location boosts would fall into the same category as magic items that give permanent boosts (like Tome's etc.) - if the enemy is using NPC WBL, I would recommend deducting the suggested GP equivalent from his gear.

As much as I love the idea of optimizing monsters, if you layer too many things onto a foe and don't increase their CR, you may just be giving your players the royal screwjob. Remember that the DMG meantions at least a couple of times that CR ratings are more guildelines than hard and fast rules, and recommend adjusting CRs ad-hoc where it seems appropriate.

While you can layer a crapton of stuff on a monster that doesn't increase it's CR by RAW, IMHO, you should do so sparingly...

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
The real issue of this Thurbane, is the tug-of-war/arms race that exists between players that want to absolutely destroy any opposition within the rules and a DM that wishes to actually give real challenge to those PCs. See the rules are you must maintain a certain CR range (and therefor ECL range) per day to maintain the challenge curve or hand out more experience and gold than the player characters would have received otherwise. Handing out more experience and gold than adventure designers expected (especially if oyu are designing it) means the PCs are that much more powerful and you have to stack that many more things together to provide challenge etc etc power curve of the game goes through the roof and kaboom things become "nu uh I go first!" "No, I have +25 init and divinations I go first!" cause that which goes first kills everything.

So the point of this guide is spell out as many options as possible for a DM to up the default power level to the appropriate ratio to challenge the PCs without having to hand out more loot and xp. The sheer number options just means that you don't have to have an endless army of the exact same bad guy over and over again.

Offline Thurbane

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 3.5 fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
dipolartech  - oh yes, I agree with that. I love this guide...I just think it's worth a mention that a DM might want to be cautious about tweaking monsters too much if his players are inexperienced or otherwise not up to the challenge.

In a high-op group, I'd have no problem tweaking monsters for all they are worth to challenge the party.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
You know, I really should check this more often than once every couple months.

Added spellstitched template and new NPCs to the guide. As usual, if you want you can post your favorite NPCs here and I'll add them to the list so other DMs have ready-to-go monsters.

Combo #2 is a very slippery slope.  If you start using taint mechanics and have an NPC tainted sorcerer, you run the risk of having PCs go for TS and Tainted Scholar.  Just a warning.
Indeed. Altough I could see that as a good plan for a "final" boss, after which it doesn't matter much what the PCs do. :p

Combo #3

Magical Locations

At a glance, I didn't see them listed in the guide. This is what my PCs were primarily going after. As such, of course I make them face a creature who has obtained the power themselves. I suppose it poses a question of whether it should or shouldn't boost their CR. A small subset list of the most useful, perhaps.

I added your combo #1, but I don't see how this one qualifies as a combo. Magic locations are basically slotless items in disguise, a PC reward, while this guide focus on PC challenges. How hard you make it for the PCs to get them is completely up to you. Personally speaking, most DMs I saw that use magic locations allow the players to get them just with background story (and the gold cost).

As much as I love the idea of optimizing monsters, if you layer too many things onto a foe and don't increase their CR, you may just be giving your players the royal screwjob. Remember that the DMG meantions at least a couple of times that CR ratings are more guildelines than hard and fast rules, and recommend adjusting CRs ad-hoc where it seems appropriate.

While you can layer a crapton of stuff on a monster that doesn't increase it's CR by RAW, IMHO, you should do so sparingly...
The same applies to the players as well, as a two characters of the same level with the same classes can have wildly diferent power levels depending on how much work was put on them. In case you missed the disclaimer at the start, the biggest point of this guide is that every party is diferent and you should/need to customize the monsters to it to provide a proper challenge.

And of course, if the players are a bunch of newbies or just aren't trying very hard (I've once seen a party of warlock, dragon shaman and swashbuckler/sorceror), then you should keep the monster pimping to a minimum.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
I was looking into the Alu-Fiend (posted in DR 355), and stumbled across this article

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Pretty good for customizing the Half-Fiend template really click with your base creature.
Granted, the resultant CR is more reliant on the DMs discretion.

Offline Scottzar

• +1 Mouthpick Dentures
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 03:10:05 AM »
Page 150 of serpent kingdoms has ossra: basically poison gas clouds, they also buff serpent folk instead of damaging them.
You didn't touch on poisons at all in the expendables section. Poison specialised characters can easily drop a party member/turn if they have good to hit and the players aren't immune yet.

Bloodlines don't boost CR. I'll let your eyes wander across the emperor's thread on the second page of TO to see what level shenanigans look like, and + 10 feats of choice (with no pre-reqs) (which stack) is always fun.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:58:31 PM by Scottzar »
Assume that any rules statements I make are under full RAW.
Common sense, game balance, or an enjoyable experience need not apply.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
Don't have Serpent Kingdoms, but I'll put a note about it.

Poison should also get a mention on the expendables yes, even if they're just for the first blow. But remember the aim of this guide isn't to wipe the party as fast as possible, you want to give them a fighting chance. :p

Bloodlines don't boost CR? What were they think- :psyduck

Must... abuse...

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Glancing back over, I'm not sure if you touch on it much in the handbook, but some of the encounters as a PC I remember being clever were combinations such as:

Some Specifics
Medusa + Blind/Blindsense creature
Golem with X-energy booster + Creature with X-energy ability
Cloudkill trap + mindsight/lifesense undead'

So, looking to pair some creatures up with combinations such as

Generalities
Gaze Attack + Blind/Blindsense/Blindsight/Tremorsense/Immunity(usually undead)
Grapple/Grab/Constrict Leader + Sneak Attack minions
Grapple/Grab/Constrict Leader + Str Poison or Enfeeblement
Cloud Trap + Blindsense/Blindsight/Tremorsense/etc
X-energy Ability + X-energy immunity or absorption
Multiple Fear generating enemies stacking and escalating Fear
Underwater + Paralysis
Underwater + Str Poison or Enfeeblement
Smoke Trap + No Breath/Immunity + Blind/Blindsense/Blindsight/Tremorsense/Concealment Negation

Would be nice to brainstorm a bigger list. Definitely bumps up the EL without upping the CR.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:21:03 PM by Nunkuruji »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »
Oslecamo, how do you feel about absorbing my Monster Tactics Handbook? I don't have time for it anymore, and it's pretty redundant.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Ok, I'll take a closer look at your handbook and see how to best integrate it when I get the time.

Glancing back over, I'm not sure if you touch on it much in the handbook, but some of the encounters as a PC I remember being clever were combinations such as:
Would be nice to brainstorm a bigger list. Definitely bumps up the EL without upping the CR.

Those things are kinda implicit on general tactics, making sure your abilities synergize with your allies and terrain, but yes a list of  specific examples would be useful, will work/think on that.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
PC of mine came across this old one, while working on some E6 optimization. While this isn't as interesting to higher level characters, ever little bit helps under the constraints of E6. Similary, this might be a good on for Team Monster.

EWP: Fullblade (Arms & Equiment Guide) -> 2d8
Large Fullblade + Strongarm Bracers / Powerful Buld / Monkey Grip (inferior) -> 3d8
Make it a heavy blade (Magic of Faerun p.179, req EWP) 1d8 dice -> 2d6 dice = 6d6 damage (96 lbs!)

You can use all or some of this, and in most cases PCs aren't going to be able to make much use of the equipment, either due to lack of EWP, or potential STR strain on equipment load. Similarly it would eat up a ton of occupancy in a bag, for perhaps not much of a return on selling.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »
Oh, that's a nasty one.

Reminds me of all those RPGs where you fight enemies with huge cool weapons and then they never drop anything useful. :p

Still couldn't find time to add in Nytemare3701's handbook tough.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
I was thinking Guts when I was informed of this, the PC that showed it to me was building Cloud with Greater Psionic Weapon