Author Topic: Index  (Read 6448 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Index
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »

Introduction

Welcome to the world of Magipunk, a homebrew campaign setting by sirpercival. In one sentence, Magipunk a cyberpunk campaign setting with all the technology replaced by magic, melding traditional cyberpunk themes with the beginning framework of D&D 3.5 to create a cohesive and rich world.

This is a truly massive undertaking, comprised of (at the time of this post) 4 races, 15 base classes, 21 prestige classes, and tons of feats, spells, and equipment, almost all written new for this setting. In addition, a fair amount of non-mechanical material has been included, though if there is ever going to be a "final" version of the setting, it will need much more.

Everything posted here is subject to change (without notice, lol), which means that I am constantly looking for comments, suggestions, and submissions. Feel free to post anything you can think of in the discussion thread, and if you'd like to contribute but aren't sure what would be most useful, don't hesitate to ask.

While I (sirpercival) have written the lion's share of everything here, and edited most things I didn't write, Magipunk would not exist without the assistance of a great many forum users: Garryl, Nanshork, Littha, sneaky_sable, geniussavant, FireInTheSky, phaedrusxy, Raineh_Daze, Ziegander, Jackinthegreen, and probably many others that I can't remember off the top of my head. (If you think you should be on this list, let me know.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:24:35 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Index
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:33:44 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Changelog
I'm mostly resetting this since it's basically been years since I worked on this project.

• Major reorganization based on stuff I did during the Interregnum.
  • Wrote the first set of Racial Sub Levels. This is ongoing.
  • Added a new PrC: the Anthropitect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:49:45 AM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
To-do List

• Finish the update/reorganization/re-re-reposting
  • Finish the Racial Sub Levels (only 33 to go!)
  • Write fluff for basically everything, and flesh out locations info.
  • Re-re-re-re-re-re-re-post to GitP
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:51:39 AM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »
Notes

Spellmolders: While Psykins and other spellshapers take magic and give it temporary shape, it dissipates rapidly. Spellmolders hold that magic in its form over longer periods of time by forming spellmolds (modules), into which they pump magic (energy) as needed, giving it a solid and lasting form for as long as it is needed. The flow of magic must be heavily restricted to prevent it from breaking free and releasing, but skilled spellmolders can channel more magical energy into a mold at once without letting it shatter (energy capacity). Practiced spellmolders learn to shape their spellmolds directly around their bodies (socket attachments), giving them greater control over the magical energies used.

~Virtual reality/Metaverse => planar travel/astral projection type things

Postmodern Tippyverse.
~Distantly-separated, force-domed sprawling metropolitan areas.  Inside each dome the entire area is Dimensional-Lock'd, except for very specific places which are Teleport Circle pads.
~The TC pads take you to/from the Port Nexus, which is basically a giant TC terminal on the Moon.  Costs $$ to get anywhere.
~In between the domed metros lies the Wilds, populated by bizarre monstrosities which "were the product of genetic experiments" (aka normal monsters).
~The population is made up of various races which came about from "genetic engineering".
~You can get food from CFW traps triggered by $$.

For computers, I'm thinking of something called DivNet (I originally was going to go with ScryNet, but then I thought Ahnold would come to get me).  Basically, a computer is a divination machine (wondrous item).  Command-line coding is all about asking the correct questions, and the more expensive computers have higher-level divination spells in them.  Email = sending.  Video chat = scrying.  Lots of crystal and chrome; no computer screens, but highly polished aluminum mirrors for the best resolution.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:26:04 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
Full Houserule List

There are a large number of houserules (besides even the homebrew material) in Magipunk, so I figured I'd collect them all here.  As I remember or think of more, I'll add them.

General
  • Whenever there is an effect based on one-half of an ability modifier (when the modifier is odd), round down if you have an even ability score, and up if you have an odd ability score.  This grants a very minor benefit to having odd ability scores, and makes things scale more smoothly.  For example, a character with a 20 or 21 Strength wielding a greatsword would do either 2d6+7 or 2d6+8 damage, respectively.
  • Feinting in combat is now a move action.

Skills
  • Many skills have been combined.  See the Magipunk Skills thread for details and full skill descriptions.
  • Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device no longer exist as skills.  Magic items are extremely prevalent and common in the world, and pretty much anyone has basic training in how to use them (it's kind of necessary to function).  Thus, activating an item now requires a simple level check, modified by Intelligence (stilled called a Use Magic Device check).  However, emulating a class feature, race, or alignment is only possible for Magitechnicians.
  • Since like-minded skills have been grouped together, there are no more synergy bonuses.  Instead you get more efficiency out of your skill points.

Feats
  • Characters gain one Magipunk Regional Feat for free at 1st level, based on their region of origin.
  • Previously published feats which have a regional requirement no longer have that requirement; racial requirements stay, however.
  • Any feat which references a skill instead references the appropriate skill in the Magipunk Skills post.  The mapping is included there.
  • Toughness now grants the effect of Improved Toughness.
  • Weapon Focus grants the benefit of WS at 4HD, GWF at 8HD, and GWS at 12HD.
  • Two Weapon Fighting grants you a number of offhand attacks equal to the number of main hand attacks you are entitled to, and does not impose additional to hit penalties for a one handed weapon in the off hand.
  • Two Weapon Defense provides an Insight bonus to AC equal to the number of mainhand attacks you can make derived from BAB (i.e., +2 at BAB +6, etc.).
  • Improved Feint lets you feint as a swift action.
  • All three of the feats that give +2 to a save still do, except that if your base save bonus of that type is at least +6 you also no longer auto fail saves of that type on a natural 1. You must still actually roll high enough to save normally.
  • Dodge and Mobility have been combined, and Dodge now grants you HD/3 (min 1) as a dodge bonus against all attacks. (Anything which had Mobility as a prereq no longer does.)
  • Devotion feats grant an additional use for every 5HD.
  • Divine feats which require a divine caster level replace that with a HD requirement.
  • Feats which refer to a particular class feature that exists in terms of a class which doesn't exist refer instead to the appropriate class which DOES exist.  For example, Natural Bond applies to effective Domeskipper level, not effective Druid level.  There may be times when this is not appropriate, but we'll deal with those on a case-by-case basis.
  • Many feats are not available at all.
    • All +2/+2 skill feats, like Agile or Alertness.  With the skills being consolidated, Skill Focus is just better.
    • Improved Toughness.  See above.
    • Eschew Materials.  You are assumed to have any material components that cost less than 1gp.
    • Natural Spell.  No wild-shape means no Natural Spell.  None of the shapeshifters block you from speech anyway.
    • All wild feats.  See above.
    • Dragonmark feats.  No dragonmarks.
    • Improved TWF and Greater TWF. With changes to TWF, no longer necessary.
    • WS, GWF, and GWS.  With changes to Weapon Focus, no longer necessary.
    • Mobility. See above.
    • Action Point feats.  No action points.
    • Feats which reference nonexistent magic systems like Incarnum or Truenaming.  All alternative magic systems in Magipunk (PoC, spellshaping, Planeswalkers) will have their own associated feats.
    • Bardic Feats.  No bardic music.
    • Feats which only apply to divine spells. There are no divine spells.  Sorry DMM... :'(
    • Tainted feats.  No taint mechanics.
Equipment
Spending gold for enhancement bonuses sucks. So, let's not.  Instead, you can enchant a masterwork weapon, armor, or shield directly with properties, instead of needing a +1 enhancement bonus first.  Each property grants an enhancement bonus to the item equal to the plus of the property.  For example, a keen flaming longsword functions as +3 (+2 from keen and +1 from flaming), and a ghost ward shield has a +1 enhancement bonus.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:01:10 AM by sirpercival »