Author Topic: Homebrew Setting: Magipunk (brainstorming -- input needed)  (Read 82449 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Setting: Magipunk (brainstorming -- input needed)
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Thank you for typos, they shall be fixed.  Thoughts on the Combat Momentum options?

These feats, while they have a bit of a Grunty feel to them, don't really demand being a Grunt. All of them are just as useful for a Domeskipper or a Synthevolver or a Morphling (although maybe a bit less synergistic). Give me something that builds on the Grunt's unique class features, please.

Oh, I will.  I just haven't yet.  ;)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
With combat momentum you need it to scale by level. if you base it off AC like you were suggesting it means you would get less hp at higher levels (due to monster AC going up). STR mod doesn't scale fast enough either. I would set it at a multiple of your BAB, probably x3 or x4.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »
With combat momentum you need it to scale by level. if you base it off AC like you were suggesting it means you would get less hp at higher levels (due to monster AC going up). STR mod doesn't scale fast enough either. I would set it at a multiple of your BAB, probably x3 or x4.

So you would get 3x (or 4x) your BAB as temp hit points for one round?  Is that too much over Stone Power, even though you don't have to hit them for SP?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
With full BAB:

x3   x4
6    18   24
7    21   28
8    24   32
9    27   36
10  30   40
11  33   44
12  36   48
13  39   52
14  42   56
15  45   60
16  48   64
17  51   68
18  54   72
19  57   76
20  60   80

Not sure if x3 is too high.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »
With full BAB:

x3   x4
6    18   24
7    21   28
8    24   32
9    27   36
10  30   40
11  33   44
12  36   48
13  39   52
14  42   56
15  45   60
16  48   64
17  51   68
18  54   72
19  57   76
20  60   80

Not sure if x3 is too high.

The problem is that you get bumps at 6, 11, and 16 when you get another attack.  Remember that you get the hp for each attack...

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »
You do still have to hit the target to get the HP which is less likley with later attacks.
If you want to set the table up properly you would have to go through and calculate exactly how much HP you want to give at each level by looking at monsters around that CR. This would take a very long time to do. The multiple on BAB approach might be off at certain levels but it is quick to figure out.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Yeah... well, at the moment I've got it at 2x.  So take a look and see if that seems too small.

I've also added a bunch more Grunt-specific feats.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
Updated.

Revisiting Racial Subs, since, y'know, it's unfinished.  Like a bunch of other stuff... bluh.

By Class
  • Crystal Mage: Spellscale (use elf)*, Axani, Elf
  • DivHead: Illumian*, Cansin, ??
  • Dodger: Halfling*, Drow (lesser), Raptoran
  • Domeskipper: Half-Orc*, Cansin, Raptoran
  • Grunt: Half-Orc, Goliath, ??
  • Holomancer: Aasimar*, Drow (lesser), Gnome
  • Magitechnician: Gnome*, Dwarf, ??
  • Medic: Lifetorn*, Aasimar, Halfling
  • Mentalist: Tiefling*, Kalashtar, Elan
  • Morphling: Warforged*, Changeling*, Shifter
  • Planeswalker: Half-Elf*, Tiefling, Spellscale
  • Powerbard: Half-Elf, Changeling, Illumian
  • Psykin: Dwarf*, Kalashtar, Elan
  • Mechanosynth: Warforged*, Mongrelfolk, ??
  • Biosynth: Mongrelfolk*, Shifter, Lifetorn
  • Zen Fundamentalist: Axani, Elf, Goliath
By Race
  • Aasimar: Holomancer*, Medic
  • Changeling: Morphling*, Powerbard
  • Drow: Dodger, Holomancer
  • Dwarf:  Psykin*, Magitechnician
  • Elf: Crystal Mage*, Domeskipper
  • Gnome: Magitechnician*, Holomancer
  • Goliath: Grunt, Zen Fundamentalist
  • Half-Elf: Planeswalker*, Powerbard
  • Half-Orc: Domeskipper*, Grunt
  • Halfling: Dodger*, Medic
  • Illumian: DivHead*, Powerbard
  • Lifetorn: Medic*, Biosynth
  • Mongrelfolk: Biosynth*, Mechanosynth
  • Raptoran: Dodger, Domeskipper
  • Shifter: Biosynth, Morphling
  • Spellscale: Crystal Mage, Planeswalker
  • Tiefling: Mentalist*, Planeswalker
  • Warforged: Morphling, Mechanosynth
  • Kalashtar: Psykin, Mentalist
  • Elan: Psykin, Mentalist
  • Axani: Crystal Mage, Zen Fundamentalist
  • Cansin: Dodger, Domeskipper

Still need a Grunt, a DivHead, a Magitechnician, and a Mechanosynth.  That's two races... any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:44:57 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
Hey, what about this?  I've been thinking about homebrewing some more races...

1) A plant race (Ent?) replacing Goliath with Grunt & ZF (though I might move them to Domeskipper off Grunt, but I don't know what to put in Grunt then)... gets +2 -4 Dex +2 Con +2 Wis -2 Cha and plant immunities, vulnerability to Fire
2) A crossbreed troll/goblin race for Grunt/Mechanosynth
3) A fey Gremliny race for Mechanosynth/DivHead... though I could also fill this spot with kobolds.

Thoughts?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
I would take the opportunity to write up a humanoidish plant race, probably something like a dryad but plant type. As far as I am aware there are none suitable for player characters (LA +5 or so usually) and it always felt like a hole in the lineup for 3.5. Problem being you would likley want planeswalker, biosynth or medic for their racial subs.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:33:47 AM by littha »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
I'd try to avoid such lopsided ability scores and immunities/vulnerabilities for an LA +0 race, but I am other than that and the name, I'm interested in the plant thing. Give me a little time, and I'll see if I can brew up a sentient fungus that evolved in the sewers and foundations of the domes.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
I'd try to avoid such lopsided ability scores and immunities/vulnerabilities for an LA +0 race, but I am other than that and the name, I'm interested in the plant thing. Give me a little time, and I'll see if I can brew up a sentient fungus that evolved in the sewers and foundations of the domes.

Yeah, agreed on the high swinginess... I'll adjust it.  However, I will say that I think littha & I are more on the same page in terms of thematic space compared to your idea.  I'd love to see it, though, and there's no reason I can't use it anyway :)

Maybe you can fit magitech into it?  Then it could be the DivHead/Magitechnician.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
1st draft, not near finished yet, probably needs another racial ability or two. Assume a humanoid form, just because.

Cellochoroid

Cellochoroids aren't individuals. Instead, they are a mass of smaller fungi that have melded together to form a vaguely humanoid body. Apart, Cellochoroids appear as thick turquoise moss, usually in clusters roughly the size of a baseball, and possessing a similar intelligence. Together, their psychic abilities bind their minds and forms together into a sentient collective. Asexual, larger Cellochoroids shed off excess moss from the collective whole to "reproduce", with new Cellochoroids developing when enough accumulates in a small area. As such, "newborn" Cellochoroids are quite literally the children of all the adults in a colony.

Originally, Cellochoroids were simple, non-sentient fungi. The presence of the domes, and the heat they provided, encouraged their growth, while the domes' magical waste slowly mutated them into sentient beings when in large enough clusters.

Plant (psionic) type: Immune to sleep, stun, paralysis, polymorph, poison, crits, and mind-affecting (but see Redundant Sentience below).
+2 Int, -2 Dex: Cellochoroids aren't particularly mobile, but the combined intelligences inside a single body can provide great leaps of intuition.
Small size: +1 attack/AC, +4 Hide, 3/4 carrying capacity, etc.
20 ft. speed
Low-light vision

Naturally Psionic: Cellochoroids have 1 power point.

Fungal Sustenance (Ps): Cellochoroids can thrive and grow on heat alone. They can manifest Sustenance at will as a psi-like ability with a manifesting time of 1 hour, but only while they are near a heat source.

Modular Physiology (Ex): One clump of Cellochoroid is as good as another to an animate mass. A Cellochoroid can detach its body parts at will and without harming itself, but its Intelligence score decreases proportionally to the total mass lost (a Cellochoroid missing half of its normal body by weight would have only half of its normal Intelligence score, for example). Lost body parts can be replaced by finding and absorbing the same total mass of Cellochoroid moss, which also restores an appropriate amount of lost Intelligence. This modification to a Cellochoroid's Intelligence score only includes its base Intelligence score, including increases due to level, racial modifiers, and permanent or instantaneous inherent bonuses, but not other modifications such as enhancement bonuses, ability damage, and ability drain. A Cellochoroid whose base Intelligence score drops below 3 in this way dies, as it has insufficient psionic power to bind itself together.

Redundant Sentience (Ex): Due to their communal mind, Cellochoroids are somewhat vulnerable to mind-affecting affects. They do not have the racial immunity to mind-affecting effects that is normally granted by the Plant type, but instead add their Intelligence modifier (if positive) to all saves against mind-affecting effects. They can still gain immunity to mind-affecting effects normally (including from having a type other than Plant that normally grants it).

Skills: A Cellochoroid has a +2 racial bonus on all Disguise checks and a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. Their mutable form allows them to far more easily adjust their shape, although they lack fine control of their features.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:01:20 AM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
That's pretty cool!  I like it :)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
I posted first drafts of some homebrew races here.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
1st draft, not near finished yet, probably needs another racial ability or two. Assume a humanoid form, just because.

Should probably get a +2 or +4 to Disguise because of mutability of form, though it doesn't have the fine control to actually manufacture faces (like a changeling does).

I have a few ideas for racial feats, as well.  Something like the ability to temporarily increase size and Int by merging with another source, though it's temporary (unless you take the racial PrC) because you can only naturally support so much mass.  And, another that lets you awaken more of your substance, so you get 1 pp per HD instead of just 1, but you suffer more Int loss from losing your substance.

I think I might drop Kalashtar from the list and replace them with this.  It's hard to have kalashtar without Dal Quor, you know?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
I'd like a template or monster to go with it that turns them into a mindless (and possibly undead) swarm. It's a plant that's a zombie. Basically, Cellochoroids that are sort of dead but sort of not. They're separated into clumps instead of a collective body, but still possess a rudimentary psychic connection with each other. Swarm damage wouldn't necessarily even be physical damage from attacking to eat or kill, but instead psychic static and stuff as they try to bind together along another's body.

Also, biosynth sub levels (it just makes so much sense to me). Maybe with the ability to exchange some evolves for other evolves by just taking them out and putting in a new one.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
I'd like a template or monster to go with it that turns them into a mindless (and possibly undead) swarm. It's a plant that's a zombie. Basically, Cellochoroids that are sort of dead but sort of not. They're separated into clumps instead of a collective body, but still possess a rudimentary psychic connection with each other. Swarm damage wouldn't necessarily even be physical damage from attacking to eat or kill, but instead psychic static and stuff as they try to bind together along another's body.

Also, biosynth sub levels (it just makes so much sense to me). Maybe with the ability to exchange some evolves for other evolves by just taking them out and putting in a new one.

That sounds kewl.  So I would put them on Biosynth and Mentalist, and move Lifetorn from Biosynth to Psykin.  And axe Kalashtar.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
If Cellochoroids are definitely in, I'd like to make a [Race] thread to keep all of the related material together (and keep it from cluttering this thread), if that's okay.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
If Cellochoroids are definitely in, I'd like to make a [Race] thread to keep all of the related material together (and keep it from cluttering this thread), if that's okay.

Sounds good.  I'll move Lifetorn there and update the index.