Author Topic: 3.5 D&D. SKY CITY CAMPAIGN. STEAM PUNK, FINAL FANTASY, KUNG FU, EVIL GENIES.  (Read 11382 times)

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you stranger...
    • View Profile
Re: Sky city campaign. Help needed.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
Yeah they would have compasses, sextants and maps with the known continent and islands on it. I was planing that the airships are like football shaped hotair balloons that supports large basket like bottoms with a few propellers, run by steam power at the ends. They can't land on water, but they can tie the airships off at sky docks, which are a ladder into the sky with pillars and a boardwalk. (Think like a regular dock, but it instead of it stretching over the water, it stretches over cliffs, or just built platforms raised up a hundred or so feet.) The sky ships were designed to pretty much only hop from island to island around the known continent. (These islands are for the most part Hawaii sized. ) There are a quite a few islands scattered out around the known continent, places where others live, and airships are like community transit between these places. To travel to the other side, you would need massive amounts of luck to come across, and if someone ever found it, (I'm thinking yeah, maybe a few airships from the known continent stumbled upon it.) the perils of heading back to the known world would be too dangerous, since the discoverers of the unknown continent were most likely in horrible skeleton-like shape when the new world was bumped into. Food was most likely running out or rotting or gone, water would be rationed and the men would be dehydrated, and perhaps even mechanical failures could be happening since it would take months upon months upon months UPON MORE MONTHS to find. Not to mention a water world like this would be incredibly stormy, windy, rainy, and unpleasant. lol.  The continents are Australia-sized if not smaller, so exploration here is much like 'looking for a needle in a hay stack.'

The resources? I'd say they are well stocked for materiel resources. Tropical rain forests have all the wood, food, and water one would need. What they don't have much of, is housing in the big cities. Land is running out where one could live, and talk of logging out some of the islands the land bounds get their resources from, so if this happens, then there goes the neighborhood. lol.

Dragons and sky sharks? Fucking awesome, and yes. lol
"Without hope we live in desire."
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:38 PM »
Ah, yes, okay that makes a good bit of sense.

I wouldn't overuse the dragons though, because, honestly, they just cannot stay aloft all that long. They are really heavy and would get tired of flying around after a while. Skysharks on the other hand, come up with a reason they are able to fly at all (like some sort of awesome air-induction system) and, then make them get bigger and meaner as they grow older, and you've got some fucking scary bastards ruling the skies! I mean, sure, they can be as stupid as real-life sharks are, but when one can be bigger than your house, that thing is going to be dangerous! My thought is that they basically create their own jet-streams to fly through by sucking in air, quickly heating it in their bodies, and then expelling it behind them. Think of it as their bodies constantly inhaling and exhaling simultaneously. They are always filled with hot air which makes them buoyant in the skies, and constantly pulling and pushing themselves forward via air intake and output. Fins and such take care of maneuverability. Voila, skysharks.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »
Screw mere hot air, use rocket propulsion.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
Re: ANGELS OF DEATH, A FLOODED KINGDOM, A CITY IN THE SKY "sky city" revised
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:05 AM »
Wow. Goddamn. Ok...so that's a hell of a setting. What's the plot hook?
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
A good intercepting airship model might be one that uses rocket propulsion. :/
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline skellyhands

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
lol. Thanks. I'm still working on the hook. I've been working with a friend thinking up ideas for this game, and one I really liked was: perhaps, the other continent the party hasn't seen is a very dry, dessert stretching out for miles. When the flying city passes over head it dumps hundreds of gallons of water it doesn't need into a lake there, which swells it up in size, and it floods the earth around it and makes habitable places for life there to exist. The people there depend upon the city to grow their crops, and for drinkable water. While the parties home continent is very wet, and jungle like. When the city passes by and dumps it's excess water, it floods them out, making all the rivers larger and sometimes sweeping entire villages into the ocean. At some point in time, the party is going to be working with a guild to destroy the city, (whether it is run by people of their kingdom, or maybe rebel Avariels that realize this place needs to be destroyed.) but when they find out half of the world needs this place, but their side is getting wiped out by it, they'll have to make a tough choice.

I have no short term plot hooks though until this point, and I'd like to hold the rebel guild plot off for a while. Do you have any interesting hooks Bruceleeroy??
~Canto IV, Inferno

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
My recommendation as far as plot hooks go, would be to tailor the first few plot hooks to the party itself. Make the early hooks personal, and related to the backstories of the characters. Then, once they've done some adventuring in the setting, suck them into a more major setting-related plot.

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
Zeigander's got it. At low levels, the players are going to be trying to do small, personal things: Finding their missing family is a good one that is cliche enough to lull the players into complacency. It's only after they've acquired enough levels to have visited the city or the other continent that they start facing the really big decisions.
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
A good intercepting airship model might be one that uses rocket propulsion. :/

Decanter of Endless Water and a nozzle for pressure. Yes, that decanter works for everything.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
Skysharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads is all I ask for.

Edit: Any other questions or desired input? While I enjoy the good tangent, I'll give you the option to resume the original topic if you so choose.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:03:50 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline AyeGill

• Can eternal lie, may not be dead
    • View Profile
Ripping off books and games is awesome like that.

Remember: to steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

As long as you can make it more awesome (like what Steve Jobs did) you can steal any idea in the world.

A great man once told me: "Good writers borrow a lot. Great writers steal everything that isn't nailed down"

Also, to the OP: This setting looks like it couldn't possibly result in anything but awesome.