Author Topic: Medic (repost) [base]  (Read 6141 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Medic (repost) [base]
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
Another base class for my Magipunk setting, stolen wholesale (with permission) from Garryl.  Original version here.

Medic

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

"Don't worry, Mr. Jenkins.  We'll fix that severed head of yours right up."
-Winona Sere, Medic

Down-on-their-luck medics have been known to make Lifetorn in back alleys for some quick creds.

MAKING A MEDIC
Medics are arcane spellcasters specializing in medicinal and healing magic. Their focus on the study of life and how to preserve it gives them unparalleled mastery of healing magic, but also reveals unusual uses for healing magic, including effects more traditionally associated with the darker side of Necromancy.
Abilities: A high Wisdom is vital to Medics. It controls their spellcasting and enhances many of their other abilities. A good Constitution score is also important to let the Medic survive on the battlefield.
Races: Any.  Everyone likes a Medic.
Alignment: Medics can be of any alignment. While most Medics are good- or neutral-aligned, some are evil, including many who focus more on analyzing the death part of life and death.
Starting Gold: As cleric.
Starting Age: As cleric.

Class Skills
The Medic's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Arcana (Int), Concentration (Wis), Heal (Wis), Negotiation (Cha), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Scholarship (Int), and Wordsmithing (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int

Table: The MedicHD: d8

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+2
+3
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Ref
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Special
Armored Mage, Battlefield Treatment (anesthetize, first aid 1, inoculate), Healing Hands
Remote Healer
Battlefield Treatment (stimulant)
Advanced Learning
Battlefield Treatment (first aid 2)
Battlefield Treatment (psychiatry)
Universal Healer
Advanced Learning, Battlefield Treatment (first aid 3)
Battlefield Treatment (metabolic boost)
Rapid Healer (+2 levels)
Battlefield Treatment (first aid 4)
Advanced Learning, Battlefield Treatment (kinesiology)
Armored Evasion
Battlefield Treatment (first aid 5)
Battlefield Treatment (medical miracle)
Advanced Learning
Battlefield Treatment (first aid 6)
Battlefield Treatment (true healing)
Rapid Healer (+1 level)
Advanced Learning, Battlefield Treatment (first aid 7), Master Healer

Table: Medic Spells per Day

Level
Spells per Day

01st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Medics are proficient with all simple weapons. Medics are also proficient with light and medium armor and with shields (other than tower shields).

Spellcasting: A Medic spontaneously casts arcane spells like a Sorcerer, except that she uses Wisdom to determine the maximum spell level she can cast, the save DCs of her spells, her bonus spells per day, and other spellcasting characteristics that a Sorcerer normally uses Charisma for. The Medic's amount of spells per day are indicated on the table above. A Medic's spells are drawn from the Medic spell list, and she is considered to know all spells on her class spell list.

Armored Mage (Ex): You can ignore the arcane spell failure chance of your Medic spells caused by wearing medium or lighter armor and by wearing a shield (other than a tower shield). Arcane spell failure caused by other sources (such as tower shields and armor heavier than medium) still applies as normal.

Battlefield Treatment (Ex): Once per day per Medic level, a Medic can use her medical talent to produce magical effects on those around her (usually including herself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of battlefield treatment and the descriptions discuss tending to a patient, they can all be activated even if she is unable to directly act upon the subjects of her ability as long as she is capable of casting spells with somatic components. Each ability requires both a minimum Medic level and a minimum number of ranks in the Heal skill to qualify; if she does not have the required number of ranks in the Heal skill, she does not gain the battlefield treatment ability until she acquires the needed ranks.

Starting a battlefield treatment effect is a standard action. Unless otherwise stated, a Medic need only spend a free action, maintain line of sight, line of effect, range (as indicated in the ability in question), and the ability to provide somatic components to maintain the ability and continue treating her patients. Some battlefield treatment abilities require concentration, which means a Medic must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using battlefield treatments that don't require concentration, a Medic cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands), or command word. Just as for casting a spell with a somatic component, she cannot perform a battlefield treatment while paralyzed, grappled, or otherwise unable to move (although arcane spell failure does not apply). Unless otherwise stated, a Medic can stop using a battlefield treatment at any time, even when it is not her turn (this does not take an action).

Battlefield treatments use a blend of both magic and medicine. As such, they do not function on nonliving creatures or on creatures with no discernible anatomy. However, despite providing healing and other effects normally associated with positive energy, battlefield treatments do not use either positive or negative energy; they affect all valid subjects equally.

(click to show/hide)

Healing Hands (Ex): Whenever a Medic casts a Medic spell from the healing subschool that heals damage, she may choose to add her Wisdom modifier to the amount of healing provided.

Remote Healer (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Medic can cast Medic spells from the healing subschool with a range of Touch on willing targets as though their range was 30 feet instead of Touch.

Advanced Learning: At 4th and every 4 levels thereafter, a Medic may choose a single spell of a level no greater than the highest level Medic spell she knows. This can come from the Cleric or Sor/Wiz spell lists, but must be either a spell from the healing subschool, a spell that can provide healing or deal damage through positive or negative energy, or a non-damaging Necromancy spell. Add this spell to the Medic's class spell list and her Medic spells known. Once selected, this choice cannot be changed except through effects that allow her to change which spells she knows. She does not gain additional spells known through Advanced Learning for classes and abilities that increase her effective Medic level for spells known unless they also improve her effective Medic level for this class feature. She may still be allowed to select higher level spells when she gains this ability due to her increased Medic spellcaster level.

Universal Healer (Ex): Starting at 7th level, when a Medic casts a Medic spell from the healing subschool on a willing subject, she may cause it to heal the subject for the full normal amount, even if the subject would normally be unaffected or damaged by it. This has no effect upon spells that do not normally provide healing, with the exception of effects that use positive or negative energy to deal damage.

In addition, a Medic can use her battlefield treatments on nonliving creatures and those without discernible anatomies. She must still obey all other restrictions of the battlefield treatment she uses.

Rapid Healer (Ex): Starting at 10th level, a Medic can expend a spell slot of two levels higher than normal when casting a Medic spell from the healing subschool, targeting only willing allies, to cast it as a swift action instead of a standard action or a full-round action. This has no effect (other than increasing the level of the spell slot used) on spells with other casting times, or if any of the creatures that she targets are not willing. Beginning at 19th level, a Medic need only expend a spell slot one level higher to cast a Medic spell faster this way.

Armored Evasion (Ex): Starting at 13th level, a Medic gains the ability to avoid the damage of explosive spells and other effects that require a Reflex save. This functions as the Monk's Evasion ability, except that it can be used regardless of the type of armor worn.

Master Healer (Ex): Starting at 20th level, a Medic can continue tending to creatures with Battlefield Treatment while casting spells and activating magic items. The Medic can begin a battlefield treatment as a swift action instead of a standard action. Finally, she can expend 20 uses of her Battlefield Treatment ability to restore a creature to life with Medical Miracle as though with true resurrection instead of resurrection and regardless of how long ago it died. When a Medic revives a creature in this way, she must still possess a part of its body (as normal for the resurrection spell) or be near the location at which the creature died.

PLAYING A MEDIC
Thing.
 Combat: Thing.
 Advancement: Thing.

MEDICS IN THE WORLD
"Thing."
-Guy
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: Thing.

NPC Reaction
 This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

MEDICS IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

GUY
Thing
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities STATS
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:01:18 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Medic (repost) [base]
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
Medic Spell List
(click to show/hide)

New Spells
(click to show/hide)

Expanded Healing Subschool (Variant)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:17:36 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Feats
(click to show/hide)

Alternative Class Features and Variants
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:17:06 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »
Put a [br] tag somewhere in that really long line of special abilities at 1st level to make sure it takes up 2 lines instead of 1. Otherwise, on wider screens, it only takes 1 line, so it loses alignment. I'd even be tempted to say to hell with alphabetization and put Battlefield Treatment last (after Healing Hands), just so it's slimmer.

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
I think I'm going to follow your lead and just pull the spellcasting out into its own table.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Don't forget the class level column to go with the spells.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
OK Garryl, I think it's done -- check it over?

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
I think a medic in a fantasty setting like DnD should have ways of treating undead and constructs. You already have Energy Drain on the base list why not the inflict and repair line? You could put them a higher level than normal to account for lack of focus and use variants that get them at the normal time.

Idea- Maybe a varient for constructs?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:55:58 AM »
First Aid (Su): If a Medic has at least 3 ranks in Heal, she can use her talent to rapidly heal the wounds of others. Her or a single ally within 30 feet gains fast healing 1 for as long as she continues to treat it. When she stops treating the subject, whether involuntarily or by choice (which may be declared with no action even if it is not her turn or she is unable to act), then it immediately heals an additional amount equal to her Medic level plus your Wisdom modifier. As long as she is not interrupted, she may maintain First Aid as long as she is willing and able. At 5th level and every three levels thereafter, the fast healing provided by this ability increases by 1, she adds your Wisdom modifier an additional time to the final healing, and she can affect up to one additional ally with each use of this ability.

Those "your"s (i speak with well grammars) should probably be changed to "her"s.

Healing Hands (Ex): Whenever a Medic casts a Medic spell from the healing subschool that heals damage, she may choose to adds her Wisdom modifier to the amount of healing provided.

Typo.

For ease of use, I'm wondering if all of the Battlefield Treatment abilities should be indented?  Or maybe just put all of the BT ability descriptions last?  It's a little jarring to read through them all, get to the 18th level ability, and then all of a sudden be reading 1st or 2nd level abilities again with no warning after so much text.

Also, why am I still up at 5am? And proofreading, no less.  :facepalm  (Feel free to not do any of what I just said...)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:01:01 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »
Edited.  I just spoilered the BT's.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »
Universal Healing is a bit... wonky. Does it mean you can heal constructs and undead with healing spells that channel positive energy? Because you could just say that...

Also, I think that Cancerous Regen should be FORT save, since you are resisting affects to your body, not your mind. Personal preference, though on that.

The battlefield treatments are perfect for a healing class! I love them!
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
Universal Healing is a bit... wonky. Does it mean you can heal constructs and undead with healing spells that channel positive energy? Because you could just say that...

Also, I think that Cancerous Regen should be FORT save, since you are resisting affects to your body, not your mind. Personal preference, though on that.

The battlefield treatments are perfect for a healing class! I love them!

Universal Healing has to be a bit more complex for the corner cases, such as living creatures with Tomb-Tainted Soul. With a simpler wording that only calls out undead and constructs, Tomb-Tained Soul users would still be damaged by cure spells.
Edit: It also allows for damaging "healing" spells to be used to heal, such as Cauterizing Flame for fleshless creatures, Cancerous Regeneration's Constitution damage, and Overcure's nonlethal damage.

Cancerous Regeneration is a Will save to be consistent with all of the other cure and inflict spells. But I can definitely see it as Fort as well.

I'm glad you like it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:03:48 AM by Garryl »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »
I altered the original Medic's Armored Mage ability (clarification + allowing effects that add ASF to still cause ASF + not losing the entire ability for a tower shield or heavy armor but not both). You might want to tweak the Magipunk version as well.
Armored Mage (Ex): You can ignore the arcane spell failure chance of your Medic spells caused by wearing medium or lighter armor and by wearing a shield (other than a tower shield). Arcane spell failure caused by other sources (such as tower shields and armor heavier than medium) still applies as normal.

I see you also noticed and fixed the bit where Inoculate referred to itself as Countersong a while back (just noticed it now in my version). Awesome.