Author Topic: Hero Quest  (Read 7694 times)

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
Hero Quest
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »
An old, discontinued Board Game/RPG from the early 90's, that, if you look at what companies did what when, seems to have been the inspiration (possibly even the progenitor) of Warhammer.

I was reminded of this some time ago, and googled around until I found PDFs of the rulebooks and cards online.  I've been throwing together ideas to make a separate system from 3.5e for a while now, but that seems kinda done.  On the other hand, maybe I can salvage some ideas from here.

Anyone else ever played this game?

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Quest
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
i've never understood why they abandoned hero quest...

one of the best board games ever.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
I loved that game, I played it a few years ago and it is just as good as it was when I was a kid.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
An old, discontinued Board Game/RPG from the early 90's, that, if you look at what companies did what when, seems to have been the inspiration (possibly even the progenitor) of Warhammer.

I was reminded of this some time ago, and googled around until I found PDFs of the rulebooks and cards online.  I've been throwing together ideas to make a separate system from 3.5e for a while now, but that seems kinda done.  On the other hand, maybe I can salvage some ideas from here.

Anyone else ever played this game?

Hero quest is actually set in the warhammer fantasy universe (There is a map of the Old World in there somewhere), it was made by Games Workshop and MB. Warhammer was released in 1983, Heroquest in 1989.

Warhammer Quest was I think the last version of Heroquest released (1995).

The modern alternative would probably be Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It does however use a completely different system.

Edit: Heroquest Map
(click to show/hide)
Current Warhammer Map
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:27:30 AM by littha »

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
Ah, ok.  That makes more sense.

Have to second the "one of the best boardgames ever" sentiment.  I like Monopoly when I have the time to play it, and my whole family is really big on Balderdash and Scattergories, but this one is no less great.

Offline Nachofan99

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
Heroquest really quite food for it's era.  I've been trying to snipe a cheat copy on eBay but no luck so far.  I used to have 2 copies of it and several of the expansion packs that are now super expensive.   

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
Heroquest is sort of interesting, in that it's one of the very few places you'll find the Fimir--who were supposed to be the trademark "evil race" for WHFB, but never really caught on. 

Had a lot of fun with HQ, back in the day.  We put together an interesting bastardized fusion of Heroquest and Talisman.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
Heroquest really quite food for it's era.  I've been trying to snipe a cheat copy on eBay but no luck so far.  I used to have 2 copies of it and several of the expansion packs that are now super expensive.
Look for working SNES Final Fantasy carts.  Or, really, any SNES RPG.  There are a lot of fantastic games from back in the day that now go for over $100 (IIRC they were $30 at a game shop?).

EDIT: Nevermind.  Wow.  They went down a lot in value.  I guess the re-releases took a lot of demand away.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:23:59 PM by X-Codes »

Offline Nachofan99

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
I sell MTG cards.  It's super lucrative.  I just bought an easy $500 worth of cards for $60.  To start: Foil Oona (real one not FTV reprint), Foil Kira, Vindicate, Foil Unhinged Island/Swamp/Plains. 33 other Unhinged lands and about another $200 in Yu-Gi Oh cards that were thrown in for free.  I'm super good at it.

The thing is, I can't see paying $30-$50 for a used, beat up boardgame from my childhood, and I sure as SHIT am not paying $100 for the expansion packs.  It's a matter of principal, I want to find one in great shape and pick it up for $5-$10.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
I sell MTG cards.  It's super lucrative.  I just bought an easy $500 worth of cards for $60.  To start: Foil Oona (real one not FTV reprint), Foil Kira, Vindicate, Foil Unhinged Island/Swamp/Plains. 33 other Unhinged lands and about another $200 in Yu-Gi Oh cards that were thrown in for free.  I'm super good at it.

Been awhile since I did that.  Made about $10,000 in a day back in 1995.  Of course, that was selling the bulk of my collection, starting with the two pages of Lotuses and going from there.

They'd go for a lot more now, but really, who knew?

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
I used to hybrid HQ with Battlemaster (ya know, giant hex map, tons of units).  I think THAT was the inspiration/progenitor for Warhammer 40k :P

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
I used to hybrid HQ with Battlemaster (ya know, giant hex map, tons of units).  I think THAT was the inspiration/progenitor for Warhammer 40k :P

Warhammer 40k was released in 1987, heroquest in 1989