Author Topic: A Player's Guide to Dragonmarks Discussion  (Read 7794 times)

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
A Player's Guide to Dragonmarks Discussion
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
For the one handbook I have that's actually finished.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: A Player's Guide to Dragonmarks Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
You said you were surprised that they didn't make Storms Riposte a prerequisite for Blade of Orien however Storms Riposte requires the Mark of Storm and Blade of Orien is for the Mark of Passage.

Windwright Captain from the explorers handbook is also a dragonmark related PRC although all it does is boost the caster level of your SLAs

Other than that minor quibble it is a truly excellent handbook
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:35:00 PM by littha »

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
I'm seeing a distinct lack of Unlock Dragonmark + Unfettered Heroism notation. :plotting
Actually, make that a lack of Unfettered Heroism shenanigans overall.

Gaining an AP per round, allowing you to use all those AP-cost Dragonmark Feats, is really good.
Just take a look at all the blue feats you listed and imagine them being used on a round-by-round basis.

With Unlock Dragonmark, you can spam your abilities to your hearts content, as long as the spell is active.
Access to multiple Heal is my first thought, but that's just one option.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
You might want to mention the article at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a which lists a variant where Aberrant Draonmark counts as Aberration Blood for prereqs of aberrant feats in Lords of Madness.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:47:56 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »
Supernatural Transformation seems like a good feat for a Dragonmarked character. Caster level scaling with HD is nice. Removing XP costs (hello Siberys Mark of Making!) is even nicer.

Also, why isn't the feat Magic in the Blood not in the handbook? I think it can be argued that dragonmark SLA's are racial considering they follow bloodlines (not sure about aberrant marks though...).

Is it because it's setting-specific? There are lots of DMs who ignore that stuff. Plus one of the main rules of Eberron is "If it’s in D&D it has a place in Eberron”. It may seem a little silly to apply that rule to setting-specific stuff but we're only talking about the mechanics here.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
 :??? ... I remember a short discussion recently about
a Magical Location that gives you a Dragonmark or
something similar.  Does anyone know this, or what it is ??
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
:??? ... I remember a short discussion recently about
a Magical Location that gives you a Dragonmark or
something similar.  Does anyone know this, or what it is ??

It was in the Fun Finds thread:

From the Eyes of the Lich Queen adventure (Eberron setting) comes the Altar of the Dragon's Eye location.

It grants additional uses to Dragonmark bearers.
PC's that are of the dragonmarked races that do not currently have a dragonmark gain either an Aberrant Dragonmark or Least Dragonmark (player's choice) as a bonus feat.
PC's that are of the non-dragonmarked races gain the Aberrant Dragonmark (resist energy ability only) as a bonus feat!

Notable since this allows non-dragonmarked races legitimate access to some feats/classes.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
I mentioned in the original thread that I estimate a 2-4k price tag. 3 average, 4 to make your DM happy.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Thanks.
I hadn't quite established enough McParallel pathways to remember it by yet.

:plotting ... maybe the Banana + Phone triggered too many other mem-paths.
Y'see in the pre cell phone days, the banana was ...

anyway, Wilders can use that with the Mark Of Dauntless.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
Sinfire Titan, are you not updating the handbook anymore? I'm not trying to bug you. You're the one who created the handbook after all so you can of course do whatever you wish with it. I'd just think this is a great resource and I would be happy to take over if you are busy with other stuff.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »
Sinfire Titan, are you not updating the handbook anymore? I'm not trying to bug you. You're the one who created the handbook after all so you can of course do whatever you wish with it. I'd just think this is a great resource and I would be happy to take over if you are busy with other stuff.

It turns out that my notifications got screwed up, so I'm not being informed when people post in my discussion threads. Imma fix that real soon.

@ Everyone else: Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, why isn't the feat Magic in the Blood not in the handbook? I think it can be argued that dragonmark SLA's are racial considering they follow bloodlines (not sure about aberrant marks though...).

Is it because it's setting-specific? There are lots of DMs who ignore that stuff. Plus one of the main rules of Eberron is "If it’s in D&D it has a place in Eberron”. It may seem a little silly to apply that rule to setting-specific stuff but we're only talking about the mechanics here.

Actually it's because I don't think the feat can apply to Dragonmarks. It's entirely plausible that a character manifests a mark without any prior Dragonmarked heritage, especially with Aberrant Marks (although a majority of both are the results of careful breeding).

Furthermore, seeing as both Least and Aberrant Dragonmark can be taken at a level other than 1st if desired (and Siberys Marks being a class feature entirely), I am compelled to say it doesn't. If Least/Aberrant required you to take it at 1st level, I could see an argument being made about it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:53:20 AM by Sinfire Titan »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »

It turns out that my notifications got screwed up, so I'm not being informed when people post in my discussion threads. Imma fix that real soon.

@ Everyone else: Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually it's because I don't think the feat can apply to Dragonmarks. It's entirely plausible that a character manifests a mark without any prior Dragonmarked heritage, especially with Aberrant Marks (although a majority of both are the results of careful breeding).

Furthermore, seeing as both Least and Aberrant Dragonmark can be taken at a level other than 1st if desired (and Siberys Marks being a class feature entirely), I am compelled to say it doesn't. If Least/Aberrant required you to take it at 1st level, I could see an argument being made about it.

Well, racial means: pertaining to, or characteristic of one race. The different types of True Dragonmarks grant SLA's that can only be taken by specific races. I think that would make them "racial" SLA's. I don't think it requires multiple generations.

I agree about Aberrant and Siberys marks though. 

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Altar of the Dragon's Eye, again, or Why psionics is broken, again:

Combine with psicrystal for higher tier mark feat. Most interesting if you juxtapose with a true mark. Party up with animal companion classes, most esp Beastmaster/Arcane Hierophant/Beast Heart Adept, for same result.

Would you mind if I posted up a competing guide? It would be structurally quite different and differs in fundamental conclusions.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
Altar of the Dragon's Eye, again, or Why psionics is broken, again:

Combine with psicrystal for higher tier mark feat. Most interesting if you juxtapose with a true mark. Party up with animal companion classes, most esp Beastmaster/Arcane Hierophant/Beast Heart Adept, for same result.

Would you mind if I posted up a competing guide? It would be structurally quite different and differs in fundamental conclusions.

I actually never thought about using a minion for the Altar of the Dragon's Eye. That's brilliant, although it only ever gets Resist Energy (RAW, unless you use Polymorph/Metamorphosis when the mark manifests).

As for the competing guide, go ahead.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
Thanx.

The minions I pointed out gain feats/HD and so Greater Aberrant Dragonmark ahoy!

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 07:30:51 PM »
Heart of Io is a magical location on page 113, in case anyone wants quick reference. I hate having to read through a whole page because a citation is vague.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
Regarding the dragonmarks being racial...Taking the feats to manifest the marks is a different thing than simply having it in your bloodline. Either you have it in your bloodline and never manifest it or you manifest it at some point in your life. Taking the feats post-creation signify your personal power being enough to manifest the mark, and the Heir of Siberys class is the manifestation of an exceedingly powerful mark.

So...it's kind of a tossup.