Author Topic: HeroQuest Re-Write  (Read 1496 times)

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
HeroQuest Re-Write
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
I've been piecing together ideas for a new system which uses HeroQuest as something of a foundation, but looks to add genuine RPG depth to the system.  Some of the major changes are as follows:

1) Dice.  Movement is changed to static values instead of 2d6.  Instead of the special Hero Quest dice, Attack, Defense, etc. dice use standard d6's with specific values to beat:

Heroes and Monsters get a hit on a roll of 4 or higher
Heroes get a block on a roll of 5 or higher
Monsters get a block on a roll of 6 or higher

2) Dieroll modifiers.  Certain spells and tactical options will modify attack and defense dice by +1.  For example, flanking a target adds a +1 to each of your attack dice.  Standing behind a half-wall adds a +1 to each of your defense dice.  Bonuses stack, but most are rare.  Bonuses to either attack or defense are hard capped at +3, although getting a +3 attack will usually require a spell.

3) Magic system is completely overhauled.  Every character will have access to various kinds of books (initially Spellbooks, Prayerbooks, and Martial Scripts), and each book will give the character access to special abilities, sometimes similar to Vancian spellcasting, sometimes similar to martial maneuvers, sometimes something completely different.

4) Characters will be able to advance to 10th level, and will have 11 or 12 abilities.  2 or 3 will be taken at first level, and the remainder will be picked once per level afterwards.  4 of these abilities will be bonuses to Body Points or Mind Points, 4 more will be a main ability that you upgrade as you level up (including the character's "capstone"), and the last 3-4 will be random abilities that supplement the character's secondary capabilities.

5) Equipment will be standardized a bit.  Any hero can have 5 pieces of equipment at a time (1-3 weapons, and then one each of whatever else you can come up with: body armor, helmet, shield, tool belt, etc.).  They can carry any number of potions, books, or treasure, but they can only use a certain number of books based on their class/abilities/etc.

There will also be a lot of little changes, like to how traps work, how treasure and potions work, etc.

Example Character: The Paladin

Base Move - 6
Body Points - 7
Mind Points - 3

Starting Equipment: Mediocre weapon (like the Shortsword in HQ), 1 Prayerbook (Player's option), 1 Martial Script (Player's option)
Books Usable: 1 Prayerbook, 1 Martial Script

Abilities:
+2 Body Points (may be taken twice)
+1 Mind Point (may be taken twice)

Smite Evil I - When attacking, the Paladin may discard a spell from his Prayerbook(s).  If he chooses to do so, his attack deals 1 extra hit automatically.
Smite Evil II - As Smite Evil I, but the attack deals 2 extra hits automatically.  Requires level 4 and supersedes Smite Evil I.
Smite Evil III - As Smite Evil I, but the attack deals 3 extra hits automatically. Requires level 7 and supersedes Smite Evil I and Smite Evil II.
Divine Power - When using Smite Evil, the Paladin can also cast the spell he discards immediately before making his attack.  Requires Smite Evil III and level 10.

Defender - If the Paladin is using a shield, and an adjacent Hero is not, then the adjacent Hero gains extra defense dice from the Paladin's shield.
Pursuit of Justice - The Paladin gains a +2 bonus to his move.
Extra Prayerbook - The Paladin can use one additional Prayerbook per adventure.
Extra Martial Script - The Paladin can use one additional Martial Script per adventure.

I guess I'm posting this here to see what kind of interest there is and to see if anyone has any feedback on whether or not people think this stuff is a good idea.