Author Topic: Where a baby hecatonchieres REALLY comes from  (Read 9526 times)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
Where a baby hecatonchieres REALLY comes from
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
The Birth of a Hecatoncheires

When a monk decides he wants to be better, sometimes he decides that psychic warrior is the way to go.  So he gains experience at being psionic, and becomes a master.  When he hits level level 7 in psychic warrior, he sees a power by the name of "Graft Weapon".  He looks at it, sees that it's probably not useful to him.  But then some higher power makes him take it.  So he uses it.  And the universe shudders under the weight of the divine paradox.  His (let's say right) hand becomes another one of him.  And the right hand of that body becomes another body (because your hand is part of your body, and your hand is now a body with a body for a hand....bear with me).  This goes on until........BAM........Pun-Pun reaches down from the heavens and decrees "You shall not form an infinite body in mine presence!" and the spawning stops.  He then, seeing the mass of bodies and 100 arms, casts a spell of such epic power that the energies used destroys multiple parallel universes.  The writhing mass of flesh congeals into one horrid beast, a beast with 100 arms, the dreaded hecatoncheires.  And so the tale has been passed down.  Psychic monks no longer feel the divine pressure to take Graft Weapon, and when they do, they try their best to not give in to the chaotic demands of seemingly moronic deities.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline AyeGill

• Can eternal lie, may not be dead
    • View Profile
Re: Where a baby hecatonchieres REALLY comes from
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I laughed so hard  :lmao.

Who knew monk/psychic warrior would be the ones to destroy the universe with a third level power.

Any way to actually use this? Manufacture infinite meat by having a believer do this inside your demiplane? Destroy the multiverse by surrounding a monk/psiwar thrall with gates to every plane except your demiplane, then activating this power(then going back, incorporeal, and disintegrating him). You are now the ruler of the multiverse!

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
Actually, you still take up the same amount of space.  And have the same weight.  But somehow, a fractal of yourself.  You managed to do what the Professor rejected: make really tiny (infinitely small, even) atoms.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
The Graft Weapon power doesn't create a weapon to graft to your hand, it can only merge your hand with a specific weapon (and if you yourself are the weapon, nothing changes since your hand is already merged with your weapon).

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
It's the wording "your hand is replaced by a weapon" that does it for me.  It says "You attach any melee weapon you can use in one hand—mundane, psionic, or magical—onto the end of one of your arms. The weapon becomes a natural extension of your arm, and that hand blends seamlessly into the shaft, hilt, or head of the weapon."  Going with the loosest interpretation I can think of, your body being the weapon, your arm (the side away from your body) will end in your body.  This can be interpreted in at least two ways: your body has a smaller "you" on the end of your arm, or you form some sort of infinite loop that ends with your body giving way to your body, without actually doing that, if that makes sense at all.

Of course, I wrote this over a year ago, and even by then had lost a good portion of my talent for finding things....

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
It's the wording "your hand is replaced by a weapon" that does it for me.  It says "You attach any melee weapon you can use in one hand—mundane, psionic, or magical—onto the end of one of your arms. The weapon becomes a natural extension of your arm, and that hand blends seamlessly into the shaft, hilt, or head of the weapon."  Going with the loosest interpretation I can think of, your body being the weapon, your arm (the side away from your body) will end in your body.  This can be interpreted in at least two ways: your body has a smaller "you" on the end of your arm, or you form some sort of infinite loop that ends with your body giving way to your body, without actually doing that, if that makes sense at all.

Of course, I wrote this over a year ago, and even by then had lost a good portion of my talent for finding things....
"You attach any melee weapon you can use in one hand—mundane, psionic, or magical—onto the end of one of your arms." This quote and several other quotes in the wording of the spell, require you to already have a weapon to fuse into your hand so all you would end up with is either what you had before or your hand fused into your torso.

Also your body isn't really a melee weapon you can wield in one hand.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Well, the unarmed strikes are odd enough I figure an interpretation like that can't be too far off.  I mean, it's a light weapon that acts as a 1-hander (it is also said somewhere that you can use your full UA if you only have one hand, so....).  Anyways, I agree with that "meld into torso" thing, it's that once that happens, your arm now ends in the weapon: your body (which has an arm that ends in your body that has an arm that ends in your body etc), and is...not melded into your torso, while also being melded into your torso (depending on how you interpret the weapon thing and the placement of it)...This thing does rely on an iffy interpretation of the rules, which is why it's going here, rather than a more rules-centric board.  More of an amusing anecdote if you will.

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Well, the unarmed strikes are odd enough I figure an interpretation like that can't be too far off.  I mean, it's a light weapon that acts as a 1-hander (it is also said somewhere that you can use your full UA if you only have one hand, so....).  Anyways, I agree with that "meld into torso" thing, it's that once that happens, your arm now ends in the weapon: your body (which has an arm that ends in your body that has an arm that ends in your body etc), and is...not melded into your torso, while also being melded into your torso (depending on how you interpret the weapon thing and the placement of it)...This thing does rely on an iffy interpretation of the rules, which is why it's going here, rather than a more rules-centric board.  More of an amusing anecdote if you will.
It is beyond iffy, you claim that it counts as both fused into your body and not fused into your body but the text supports that in no way shape or form. You arm is simply fused into the weapon, your body. It does not matter that your arm is also part of your body, the spell does not check that nor does it create any copies, it literally only fuses your arm into your body.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Right.  It fuses your arm into your body, which includes your arm.  Your arm ends in your body.  The question becomes where the arm ends and the body begins.  If the arm ends in, say, your torso, it is possible to just be a circle, but also keep in mind taht the only restriction with regards to motion is lack of being able to grasp things.  But again, I deliberately took an "out there" interpretation to tell something amusing.  My interpretation is out there, but I feel like it is a possible interpretation, just not the simplest or most logical.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
that's what halflings are for. after all, any monk worth their salt can use a halfling as a one handed weapon....

seriously.

actually, this build could be made to work with that tiny mclarge huge whatchamacallit build. since they can each count as whatever size is most convenient for them....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:38:53 AM by nijineko »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
What if a Drunken Master with Troll-blooded ripped off his arms, regenerated them and fused them. At the end of his new arms are his old arms, which he has become one with. Then he ripped off those longer arms, regenerates those - since they are "seemlessly a part of him" and thus subject to regeneration - and reattatches what was ripped off, and so on. Now, even if the powers overlap, the second result is bigger / objectively better and would be the dominant instance of the power.

Needs a level of Drunken Master (to be proficient with your own arms) with maybe a Monk level to help qualify (I forget the prereqs offhand). Probably the rest for Ardent (taking Graft Weapon through a mantle or a feat, whichever was more conveniant) and Metamind 10 (Font of Power) with Temporal Reiteration (mantle or feat) to keep ripping off arms and replacing them and not having to worry about duration. Thanks to Drunken Master, the length of the improvised weapon determines the reach, meaning no limit on potential reach. Monkey D Luffy anyone?
Hmm.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
Combo with a couple levels in Knight to make everything everywhere difficult terrain?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
*grins*
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Snowbluff

• I like being a lurker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
*Grafts his own hand to himself, granting him the competence bonus, and letting his unarmed strike (with the Aptitude Weapon property, ofc) benefit from Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike*

"You know, these feats pay for themselves really quickly"
Clerics are my game!

Offline Ziltoid

• Bring me your finest black beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Offline AyeGill

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »
Combo with a couple levels in Knight to make everything everywhere difficult terrain?

"Okay, I charge the orc"
"You can't"
"Why? Its close enough"
"Its difficult terrain"
"What? Why?"
"Because somewhere, a psychic troll monk knight chopped off his own hands infinite times"

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
Funny thing: no matter how long your arms are, you don't gain any reach, so these 931475637496196739086735 miles long arms have 5' reach.  But Abberant Reach, which increases your arm length but a few inches, increases your reach 5'.

Offline AyeGill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
Funny thing: no matter how long your arms are, you don't gain any reach, so these 931475637496196739086735 miles long arms have 5' reach.  But Abberant Reach, which increases your arm length but a few inches, increases your reach 5'.
If you're a drunken master wielding your dismembered 931475637496196739086735 miles long arms as an improvised weapon, however, you gain 931475637496196739086735 miles of reach.

Offline UnjustCustos

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:10:36 AM »
We have gone beyond Drunken Master to Trippin' Master.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 02:00:23 AM »

"Okay, I charge the orc"
"You can't"
"Why? Its close enough"
"Its difficult terrain"
"What? Why?"
"Because somewhere, a psychic troll monk knight chopped off his own hands infinite times"

Not arms, that's easy to see.... Try using a psionic blade to slice strips of cells miles long. Good luck seeing that
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground