Author Topic: [PrC] The Blood Mage [3.5]  (Read 18327 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: [PrC] The Blood Mage [3.5]
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:26 AM »
Blood Bond (Kin) already specifies that spell effects are shared regardless of any member's creature type.  Though I suppose that it's not actually on the lower-level effect.

Regardless, you might want to specify that effects like alter self are still restricted by type.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
I'm just concerned that there are many potential abuses if you allow Personal spells to be shared.  I can't think of any, but as long as you considered it, it should be fine.  As long as only a couple spells are abusable, it should be fine.  As I'm not as familiar with specifics for casters, I'll have to yield to you guys for this.  I'm just bringing up a potential abuse.  As for the "free spells" thing, it's not much of a problem, but I think you might want to increase the permanent HP cost and introduce an HP cost for each spell cast.  Maybe.  Maybe just the HP cost/spell cast.  It's certainly a powerful feature, but it's not to the point of "OMG broken" by far.  I mean, Twin Spell is a +4 or so MM feat, right?  So this is a "free" +4 MM feat a number of times, but the cost goes down for each additional creature, and it's restricted.  So let's call it a total "+4" for being any range and only on willing creatures (so basically only buffs).  Then you pay a permanent HP cost per creature affected.  That should take care of at least half of the cost.  That's kind of why I think an HP cost/spell would be nice, since you get more benefit from each spell cast through it, but with this you'll get a cost as well.  Maybe a 1 or 2/spell level?  If used on pre-combat buffs, this cost goes away by the time combat hits.  I'm just musing, don't take this stuff as a hard and fast "do it" advice.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:50:26 AM »
On Personal spells, pretty much its down to type-locked buffs like Alter Self for potential abuses. Nothing you couldn't do with the spell already.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
I'm just concerned that there are many potential abuses if you allow Personal spells to be shared.  I can't think of any, but as long as you considered it, it should be fine.  As long as only a couple spells are abusable, it should be fine.  As I'm not as familiar with specifics for casters, I'll have to yield to you guys for this.  I'm just bringing up a potential abuse.  As for the "free spells" thing, it's not much of a problem, but I think you might want to increase the permanent HP cost and introduce an HP cost for each spell cast.  Maybe.  Maybe just the HP cost/spell cast.  It's certainly a powerful feature, but it's not to the point of "OMG broken" by far.  I mean, Twin Spell is a +4 or so MM feat, right?  So this is a "free" +4 MM feat a number of times, but the cost goes down for each additional creature, and it's restricted.  So let's call it a total "+4" for being any range and only on willing creatures (so basically only buffs).  Then you pay a permanent HP cost per creature affected.  That should take care of at least half of the cost.  That's kind of why I think an HP cost/spell would be nice, since you get more benefit from each spell cast through it, but with this you'll get a cost as well.  Maybe a 1 or 2/spell level?  If used on pre-combat buffs, this cost goes away by the time combat hits.  I'm just musing, don't take this stuff as a hard and fast "do it" advice.
Maybe a HP cost per spell and creature other than you affected?
Still fiddling with the math for HP costs in general too. That's probably something that requires actual playtesting to really fine-tune.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
Yeah, I think it might be a bit hasty to say anything hard about balance.  Those statements are a "best guess", and I'm even more unsure than usual, by a lot.  Huge margin of error.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.