Author Topic: Berland  (Read 16639 times)

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Berland
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
"Maybe I don't want that armor after all. And that had better not be a lion. I've had too much trouble today to deal with a lion." Darayat peers around, absently firing another shot as he checks for large carnivorous cats.

(click to show/hide)

Resolved to hold their target away from the only one to really wound her, the soldiers threw themselves at Mishann again. When she was finally able to throw them back, there number had been reduced by one, and there was blood coming from her right leg.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
(click to show/hide)
"She'll probably die of blood loss before we finish her off." The familiar reloading and firing motions are repeated.

(click to show/hide)

The Berlish launched another attack at the failing royalty, scoring another pair of strikes and making more blood run, one spot on her shield arm and another on her side.

Fighting through the pain, Mishann lands a glancing blow on one of the remaining soldiers. The damage doesn't look great, but it may hinder him.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
Darayat's shot goes wide of the mark again. He briefly wonders how many bolts he has left before dismissing the notion. Now would be a terrible time to run out because he tempted fate.

(click to show/hide)

Again the soldiers attack at Mishann, this time though she doesn't go for the block. Instead she feints it, throwing them off balance enough to stab her swords through the gut of the wounded soldier. When she pull the blade for his body, the flame had returned, but only for a brief moment.

The remaining soldiers look warly towards their seemingly unstoppable foe, holding their swords in a defensive fashion.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Darayat sighs as another shot misses.

(click to show/hide)

Mishann tries to push her growing advantage, but two of the soldier manage to trap her blade, if only for a moment, which is more than enough for the last remaining one to strike a blow.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Darayat begins seriously contemplating throwing the unhelpful crossbow at the angry Mishann.

(click to show/hide)

With renewed vigor the soldiers pressed Mishann, now it was her turn to be on the defensive. She was able to deflect two of the attacks, but the third slipped through, adding another wound to the numerous others.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Darayat fires another shot which looks promising at first but quickly veers away mockingly.

(click to show/hide)

Continueing the assault, the soldiers pressed her hard, forcing her back, when she missteped, exposing herself to a viscous attack.

Unsteadily Mishann stayed on her feet, even attempting a clumsy counter attack, which missed. A large amount of blood is coming from the newest wound, and it is clear that she cannot take much more.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
Twang. Miss. Darayat resolves to get himself some practice with this useless thing.

(click to show/hide)

Aiming for a repeat of their previous maneuver, the soldiers attacked again. They have some success, landing a heavy blow on her armor, causing her to groan in pain, but they have to quickly jump back to avoid her defensive counter attack.

Another roar sounds over the battlefield, seeming to come from just over your right shoulder.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)
The roar entices the artificer to peer over his shoulder curiously, missing another shot in the process.

Barreling down on Darayat's position is a large brown bear, wearing what can only be described as armor.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Darayat turns his attention back to Mishann, firing another shot before oh my god that was a bear.

He opts to get the hell out of its way rather than reload the crossbow. This seems like a wise course of action.

(click to show/hide)

Unaware of the threat heading for them, the soldiers press Mishann. She tried to defend herself, but the numerous wounds were too much for her and one of their blades slipped through, bringing Mishann to her knees before she collapsed.

A cheer went up between the trio, but before it could be echoed by others the bear was on them, ripping them limb from limb, and even taking a bite out of one of their stomachs. The bear then turned to face the archer, glaring at him with strangely intelligent eyes, as if challenging him to do something.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Darayat gives the bear a disarming smile, raising his hands slowly. "Don't look at me. This thing isn't set for bears."

The bear gives a snort before scooping up Mishann and then retreating.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Darayat looks around in some dismay. "They're never going to believe me. Not one word." He glares at his crossbow, which wisely says nothing.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
West Side of the Sound

With their foes in full retreat the scouts took to the front lines, harassing any chance they got. Those not as fast as the scouts were forced to march, long and hard. What precious time was allowed for rest was also allocated for the handing out of food. No meaningful camp was ever made during the chase. Even with the sacrifice of sleep, the aid of druidic magic was enough for the Audair and Cyre soldiers to make their escape to Eston.

As sight of the flowing water came into view you can see a make shift camp is being erected in a large flat area near the beach. Across the water you can see the town of Eston, where quarry has managed to reach. The last ferry appears to have just made land, unloading troops onto the distant shore. With a loud yell your commander calls what remains of your group to a halt, he follows it with a dismissal. It had been five days and nights of marching, and it was clear by the way most of the group collapsed, that they were exhausted.

Shortly after your arrival a large column of Karrn lancers arrives, at its head rides Kaius, anger clear on his face.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »
Darayat glances up once before returning his attention to the parchment covered in scrawlings in front of him. He shakes his head, drawing a circle in an empty spot. "No, I'm afraid there's no O in the word." His eyes flicker up again, this time noticing the sour look on the Karrnathi leader's face. "He doesn't look very cheery. Maybe swimming would cheer him up?"

There are three soldiers fairly close to you. One is looking over your shoulder, seeing what you are doing with the parchment. The second one is snickering at your second comment. While the last one makes his own comment, “Just make sure when you suggest it to him I am nowhere near you.”

The column stops and an important looking individual, riding next to Kaius, shouts a couple orders. Together the individual and Kaius make their way to the freshly erected command tent. Meanwhile the mounted soldiers remain at attention.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
"We'll have to do it sometime if we want to get across." Darayat pauses thoughtfully. "You know, I think I could help with that. We'd just need a shot of transmutation magic infused here, here, and here." His pencil transitions smoothly from a game of hangman to arcane scrawlings and formulae with a few stick figure drawings showing a man changing into an aquatic form. "It'd take a while to make, though. Maybe a day per person. And they'd be rather expensive. And I don't think all of you could use them by yourselves. Oh! And none of you have the right sort of blood." He pauses. "My god, what's it like to have red blood? Such a strange color. But apart from that, it'd be easy enough to do."

The second soldier stops chuckling and all eyes focus on Darayat in silence until the third soldier speaks up again, "Someone please tell me they understood even a fraction of what he just said."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
Darayat looks from one soldier to another in mild bemusement. "It's very simple. Well, simple for anyone with fey ancestry. You lot, probably less so. There aren't many humanoids running around who can breathe water. I expect if we looked hard enough we could find something that would work, though. But we'll probably just stick with rafts or boats or something like that. Much cheaper."

"Breathe water...Have you been hitting the barrels early again? You know the officers don't like us doing that. Why the only thing that I know that can breathe in water are the cursed sea devils..." Said the third, as he started to rub his right leg.

The first was quick with a reply, "What about the mermaids?" His voice is slow and almost childlike.

“Not this nonsense again. I have told yo-” Anger is starting to show in the third one’s voice.

“Floyd says they are real!” Quickly interrupted the first, but his face quickly turned to regret after doing so.

The third rounded on the second, “So you are the one filling his head with this nonsense?”

Floyd has a slightly panicked expression on his face and doesn’t seem to be able to come up with a reply.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
"Ah, mermaids!" Darayat beams disarmingly at the trio of soldiers. "Never met one, personally, but I've heard some wonderful stories." Seeing the look on the third soldier's face, the artificer gently pulls him aside, murmuring, "I don't think it'll cause any harm if he believes there are mermaids. Quite the opposite, actually."

The third one just sputtered, being surprised at being interrupted, "But I...they...he is..."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Darayat smiles, patting his shoulder. "Trust me on that. Besides, my aunt would be very cross if she learned people were saying she didn't exist."

A look of pure dumbfoundness (:twitch) overtakes the third's face, "Your aunt?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
Darayat throws the soldier a wink before turning to the other two. "Come on, you lot, you should get something in your stomachs before passing out." He starts wandering around the makeshift camp, searching for someone in charge of food.

Floyd is quick to his feet, "Right, I could use a bite." He and the second eagerly follow, while the third remains slack jawed a few moments more, finally shaking himself and rushing after.

It takes a fair amount of searching and asking around, but you eventually locate a food bearing transport. It is presently surrounded by a dozen soldiers, and they don’t look overly happy. On the ground there are a couple unconscious soldiers with bruises on their heads, along with an assortment of pans and cooking utensils. On top of the transport is a lone lizardman waving a skillet back and forth threateningly.

One of the soldier yells at the goblin, “Come on Cook’e, just give us a little something to e-“ He is cut short as he quickly ducks the metal projectile.

The lizard pulls another pan out from the canvas and snarls back, “Not mess time. You know rules.”

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »
Darayat taps one of the soldiers on the shoulder. "How long is it until he actually starts serving food?"

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
The soldier jumps slightly at the contact, having not noticed Darayat's approach. He sighs at the question, "The fool should have started serving a good half hour ago, he just refuses to as no one has given the order in this chaos."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage