Author Topic: Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding Discussion thread  (Read 31266 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding Discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »
I took a closer look at the Staff of Mighty Sweeping.  Its price is 28,600gp.  That's 10,000gp more than a +3 weapon, making the staff likely priced out as a double weapon, with 14,000gp for a +2 and Mighty Sweeping on each end.  That would place Mighty Sweeping at 6,000gp as a WSA.  Or, if it really was priced for a single end, then the price for just that enchantment would be 20,000gp.  I'd be inclined to believe the former is correct, given that the staff was MWed properly as a double weapon already.

Ahh, CaptnQ did a whole lot of reverse engineering on his EVD series.
Maybe he didn't get all of the details on this one (idk).
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
I took a closer look at the Staff of Mighty Sweeping.  Its price is 28,600gp.  That's 10,000gp more than a +3 weapon, making the staff likely priced out as a double weapon, with 14,000gp for a +2 and Mighty Sweeping on each end.  That would place Mighty Sweeping at 6,000gp as a WSA.  Or, if it really was priced for a single end, then the price for just that enchantment would be 20,000gp.  I'd be inclined to believe the former is correct, given that the staff was MWed properly as a double weapon already.

I don't quite understand where you get the 14,000gp at.  But I think the real problem is that you read "mighty sweeping" as one thing, and it's really two things:  "mighty" and "sweeping".

Magic of Faerun, p145
Staff of Mighty Sweeping: This sturdy ash +2 sweeping quarterstaff also grants the wielder the Improved Trip feat.

Magic of Faerun, p141
Sweeping: This property grants a +4 bonus on any Strength checks the wielder makes as part of an attempt to trip an opponent with the weapon.   Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull’s strength; Market Price: +1 bonus.

So "+2 sweeping" makes it equivalent to a +3 weapon, which as you point out is 18,000gp.  If used on both ends, it would cost double, or 36,000, which is more that what the staff costs.  The "mighty" adjective is just fluff that refers to the granted feat (Improved Trip), which seems to cost an extra 10,000.  Arms and Equipment guide says extra feats usually cost 5-10K, so that fits right in.

It can be confusing, but I think the book just forgot to double the price for a putting an enchantment on both ends, though it did remember to double it for masterwork quality.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:34:26 PM by kitep »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Complete Shopping List

This page has a list of feats and the effects of feats granted by items.  I'm just dropping this link in here quickly.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
I know this was old, but I was curious if I could get this put into xls so I can simply sort it based off parameters such as lowest maginal cost (for the feat) and lowest total costs (for the whole item). What are the odds that you want to do that, nin?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
I know this was old, but I was curious if I could get this put into xls so I can simply sort it based off parameters such as lowest maginal cost (for the feat) and lowest total costs (for the whole item). What are the odds that you want to do that, nin?

i could be bribed into it, certainly. ^^

i've been meaning to get back to this thread and finish off all the suggested edits, at the least... someday.

i'm not sure how attempting to motivate myself would turn out.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2016, 11:58:32 PM »
Just throwing this out there: Legacy items can grant Metamagic/Metapsionic feat effects ala metamagic rods. There are multiple different effects, and there's no upwards limit on how many Legacy items you can have at one time, so founding multiple legacies for free metamagic is plausible (just highly likely to get turned down by the DM).
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
Just throwing this out there: Legacy items can grant Metamagic/Metapsionic feat effects ala metamagic rods. There are multiple different effects, and there's no upwards limit on how many Legacy items you can have at one time, so founding multiple legacies for free metamagic is plausible (just highly likely to get turned down by the DM).
FWIW, I see DMs use a 'one at a time' rule per each type of x.

It solves things like nightsticks and 500 feats. Since WoL also includes armors, though, presumably you should be able to have an armor of legacy and a weapon of legacy at the same time. The hp/spell slot penalties would stack though :(

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »
Finished through post #23.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
You're still ignoring this:

2. The Precise weapon enhancement never references the Precise Shot feat in any way.  It merely removes the -4 penalty for shooting into melee.  It does NOT grant the benefit of Precise Shot, nor the feat itself, instead it gives an identical, numeric benefit.

You need to remove the Precise weapon quality from "items that grant benefits of a feat."  Move it to "Items that Otherwise Duplicate Effect of a Feat."  The weapon property says it does not stack with Precise Shot, but it does not, in any way, suggest you get Precise Shot or the benefits thereof.

All the weapon property does is remove a penalty that doesn't exist if you have Precise Shot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:10:53 PM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
You're still ignoring this:

2. The Precise weapon enhancement never references the Precise Shot feat in any way.  It merely removes the -4 penalty for shooting into melee.  It does NOT grant the benefit of Precise Shot, nor the feat itself, instead it gives an identical, numeric benefit.

You need to remove the Precise weapon quality from "items that grant benefits of a feat."  Move it to "Items that Otherwise Duplicate Effect of a Feat."  The weapon property says it does not stack with Precise Shot, but it does not, in any way, suggest you get Precise Shot or the benefits thereof.

All the weapon property does is remove a penalty that doesn't exist if you have Precise Shot.

Not intentional! Thank you for reminding me. =D

Updated... how's that?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:24:20 PM by nijineko »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Perfect!
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
Updated through post #29.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2022, 02:21:23 AM »
Bracers of Arcane Freedom - MIC, p80
 - Still Spell feat, 2x/day, 2300gp

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2022, 08:55:12 PM »
Thank you!