Author Topic: Part II: Rock, Hard Place, and You (a love triangle)  (Read 26952 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Part II: Rock, Hard Place, and You (a love triangle)
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
A split second later, another shockwave rumbles through the cavern, this time faint and distant, from somewhere far to the northeast.

Arkesk comes back on the link right afterward.

<I just got a close look at one of their explosions. They fell for it.

I was chasing a group of them up toward the auction area. I thought I had them bottled up against my Wall of Stone and Wall of Force, right where my blue dot is on the map just below the east end of the auction area.

Then they phased into the rock, so I took a calculated risk and sent three pairs of Umber Hulks down there, to see if I could find the source of their explosion and get an idea of the power of it if they set it off - I figured I might tempt them them into it by using the Umber Hulks as bait. I sent one officer and one regular troops in each pair to scale the damage, and see how much it would deal to kill them at different distances. I put a pair right against my Wall, another pair ten feet south, and the third pair twenty feet south.

Just like they say in Sigil, 'All things in threes.'

The Umber Hulks didn't like my orders but I said if they weren't tough enough to take a little rock explosion, then maybe I should reassign them to river duty with the Vodyanoi. I said they should just dig out and come back afterward.

The invaders fell for my gambit, and set off their explosion while I was watching. I saw it was attached to a point in the ceiling where there was already a big fissure. Whoever placed it knows something about how to bring down stone construction, probably that Dwarf, the Hand of Dumathoin.

Or the other Dwarves who look just like him - I still don't have that figured out.

Both Umber Hulks next to the Wall, right under the explosion, didn't come back. The officer ten feet away came back but the regular didn't. And both of the ones twenty feet away survived. All three of them were pretty badly hurt, especially the one at ten feet. So we  had all better keep away from their explosions, but forty feet should be enough to avoid most of the damage and thirty feet could be acceptable.

Keep an eye on that Dwarf who is near you, my guess is the Dwarves are probably the ones responsible.>

((Bane and Margravine feel free to post anytime ;) ))
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »
She said nothing during her first strike. Moïra was angry that once again her bullets were useless. She was a riflemen, proud of her skills, and she hated to waste ammunition.
Flying among the very stuff of nightmares, she dived once more. This time, she was not even shooting. She was laughing. With with her full breath, an evil laugh so gleefull  that the largest ham among second rate actors may consider it too much.
Then, she shouted one word.
One word she unleashed in a terrifying shout, right above them, focusing her anger, her hatred, so that they will not escape.
יהוה!*
Immediately after that, she went near the Sith Lord.
May your blade strike true, Lord Bane.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:18:45 AM by Harald »
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
As the new powers surged through Bane's body, he felt the orbalisks burrowing deeper to his flesh, demanding him to indulge his bloodlust and rage boiling beneath his cold and calculating exterior. The Dark Lord knew how to deal with the orbalisks and how to subdue the primal instincts they tried to evoke, but this time he knew he did not have to do so. No, this time was different. Although his enemies were out of sight, that could not stop him. They were hidden, dangerous and well-defended, but the ocean of dark side power within Bane would prove to be their undoing. Reaching to access the might of the Force, he caught a spark of the dark side and tapped to his memories of violence, poverty, frustration and hate and soon the spark became a flame and the flame became an inferno; an inferno he would release on his enemies who would perish before the wrath of the one and only Dark Lord of the Sith.

"Finally..." Bane thought to himself, savouring the very thought of devouring the fear and anguish of his soon-to-be-dead foes.

A small nod acknowledged that he had received the boost from his ally and in the same instant Bane was striding towards the enemy grouping. His mind did not go through complex strategies or novel parries. Instead it mulled over the most animalistic feelings of rage and hatred, leaving it open to the guidance of the Force. He did not think, he acted purely on instinct. After a brief sprint the Sith Lord was already on his enemies like a force of nature, his enormous speed making it look like he wielded half a dozen crimson blades at once...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:01:49 PM by Tshern »
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Hrm.  Well, that was an interesting experience.  I should probably report with that mind link thing.

<Skellum here, reporting in to all you beautiful and powerful ladies and gentlemen.  I just had something of an...incident, triggered by our lovely dreamer's reverie.  Nothing to be alarmed about, mind you--it just pushed me into my dementia space.  Always enjoyable, that.  Anyway, the point is that this little incident may have opened a bit of knowledge for us.  Their paladin is undead, for instance.  More importantly, Captain Vir is bothered by the disappearance of a tiefling named Sheerak.  Apparently, she turned into a marilith--whatever that is--and disappeared.  Here's the thing, though--Vir wasn't just thinking the name "Sheerak."  She was thinking "Sheerak9."  Not sure what to make of that, but it probably has something to do with the fact that they seem to be in multiple places at once.>
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
((At long last...))

As the Margravine rounds on the fog cloud for another attack run, it sweeps up away from the foot of the bridge, elongating toward the open air above the north end of the barracks building, directly across from the triangular conference room.  Then the trailing end of the fog cloud pulls in, and the cloud resumes its irregular, lumpy spherical shape. The north end of the barracks is engulfed in the opaque fog from the polished stone roadway of the island all the way to the ornately carved ceiling fifty feet above.

Lord Bane's senses easily pick out the precise locations of the remaining five creatures hovering above the north end of the barracks, and so, guided by the telepathic link, that is where the Margravine's next aerial attack takes her.

As she sails into the fog cloud and brings Dreamheart to bear around her, the fog melts away into a featureless gray, Dreamheart unrefined, and the five come into view... but there are thirty-six, not five. There are nine identical images of four creatures, weaving and overlapping in an intricate, confusing dance. Bane's senses easily tell that most of them are not real, give her the locations of the four real ones distinct from the fakes, and identify the position of a fifth creature that is far too small to track easily by vision; the same problem with Captain Vir as before when she tried to shoot him.

Stranger but expected: They no longer look the same as when she first saw them; most of them have changed into the creatures she saw beginning to form on her first pass. Three are winged creatures in green and blue, much like the colors of Chaos... in fact, exactly the same colors, precise to the very shade and brightness of green and blue as the Maw. The fourth is even stranger. He is a mix of wings in blue and green, and thick muscular arms and legs in red, an incongruous combination of two different creatures in mid-transformation. Most of them appear bedraggled, damaged from their first encounter with the Maw.

No matter; she isn't shooting, doesn't have to target them, and will just destroy them where they stand. Or fly. The Margravine brings the Blue Green Maw of Chaos to bear on them.

The blue and green Chaos flows into the creatures. They absorb it; their blue green feathers drinking in the Chaos and strengthening, the damage vanishing as the Chaos merges with their forms. This is not what is supposed to be happening! It's her Dream, not theirs; they are supposed to DIE!

Unfortunate; unexpected, dismaying, but... No matter to this either. She will pronounce Dictum upon them, and then they WILL die.

But they are waiting for her; she now realizes that they were looking precisely at the point where she emerged laughing from the fog and saw them, and bolts and arrows are already winging their way at her as she tries to wheel and dodge. They close and continue to fire; one of them is firing so fast his hands are a blur. She tries to evade but they seem to track her perfectly... too perfectly. They shoot where she will be. In a trice, the Margravine is full of bolts and arrows, and each one strikes with a hammering impact far greater than any bolt or arrow should. Not a single shot misses, and only a few are minimal enough in impact for her to resist the damage.
(click to show/hide)

The one blue green creature who did not fire an arrow seems focused to the north, and suddenly a very deep rumble of sound arrives from just to the north, more felt than heard, and a slow shockwave rolling through the air tosses everyone, bowling them like tenpins.

Outside the fog cloud, Lord Bane, Gabriel, and the others see a double explosion at the corners of the massive wedge of stone supporting the ramp leading onto the south end of the bridge where it connects to the island. The bridge erupts, sending rock racing toward the ceiling. The underpinning of the foot of the bridge fractures, and the huge pieces of the wedge begin a tumble through the air into the river. Pebbles of stone rattle the walls and ceiling like rocky shrapnel as the ramp disintegrates, and the center of the bridge begins its descent toward the water. The shockwave tumbles Bane and the others too, and the roar of sound behind it engulfs them, followed by a rapidly expanding cloud of pulverized rock dust.

The mismatch of perceptions of the bridge explosion on the link is very curious, but familiar to the Margravine; the nightmarish cascade of events inside her Dream far exceeds the rush of events elsewhere in the Bral compound, which seem like a stately procession by comparison.

The blue-green-red creature is following the shafts to the Margravine, but he loses half a step as both of them are buffeted by the roar from the bridge. His red, massive arms are at the ready with a wickedly curved, double edged scimitar. He too seemed to be anticipating her arrival; it almost seems as if he jumped for her before she appeared.

The double bladed scimitar flickers in the creature's heated attack that leaves the Margravine's clothes and hair smoldering with scorch marks; heat literally washes off of him. He strikes so deeply on the first, second, and fourth attacks, he has to wrench the double blades free from her supernaturally tough skin. The third attack scores her as well. Twist and turn as she might, to evade him, she finds he is flying faster than she is and can easily stay with her.

Deep bass rumbles, smashing sounds of tumbling rock, punctuate the creature's attacks.

As the hot, red-armed creature comes in for the fifth attack, another massive wash of sound and vibration rips the air, and his aim is thrown off. The Margravine finally manages to evade his swing.

Outside the fog cloud, Lord Bane and the others are buffeted again by a concussion followed by another massive blast of sound as the center of the bridge drops into the river and smacks the surface in a twin geyser toward the ceiling, and water pours down from everywhere, washing away the dust cloud in an instant. Water and stone rain down, flooding the streets with a slurry of gravel flowing back toward the river.

With his superior flying speed, the creature swarms all around her, swinging his long, wickedly curved sword from above, below, and all sides in a true three-dimensional aerial attack; he hits again on the sixth, but then he is pelted by a few heavy chunks of rock spinning slowly past him, and he misses the seventh attack. He flows into a different trained attack form which steadies him and two more attacks hit her as well. All of his strikes also seem to have extra weight, much like the shafts that struck her earlier.

The few chunks of rock that hit the creature were just the leading edge of a deluge. A flood of water and rock shards begins to tumble down in slow sheets, a slurry of water and gravel in undulating, Dreamy motion, and visibility drops toward zero.

At last the Margravine manages to elude him in the fog, rain, and shower of falling rock, and she loses him momentarily, long enough to do what she came to do, and leave them dead behind her.
(click to show/hide)

Finally free of the horrid, scorching creature, the Margravine rights herself.  Her fury only seems to have increased, clearing her mind. Then, she shouts one Word.

One Word only, filled with the power of Divine Law, she unleashes in a terrifying shout, right above the enemies, focusing her anger, her hatred, spreading Dream wide so that none escape its area:
!יהוה

One of the blue green winged creatures winks out, along with his eight Mirror Images. Bane's senses report that Captain Vir is gone too. The Margravine does not see a dead body, nor does Bane sense the object; the creature is simply gone.

In the same moment, the seven arrows that struck her vanish as well, the three tiny ones and the four that were fired at her in a blur. Only the two crossbow bolts remain, as does the creature holding the crossbow, who seems completely unaffected by the Word. The other blue-green creature who was focused to the north is still there, and so is the one attacking her.

Then the Margravine flies out to rejoin Lord Bane and the rest.  The shower of water and rocky chunks lessens and stops. Everyone is in flight and well away from the foot of the bridge, so while some of the biggest chunks leave bruises, no real damage is sustained.

With the images of the battle on the link as Arkesh ordered, two things are obvious to the trained fighters. First, the strange blue-green-red swordsman was expertly trained in 3-D aerial combat. He attacked from above, below, and all sides, flowing easily through forms that would not be effective on the ground but were devastating in the air. Second, like the volleys of bolts and arrows, the near-perfect success of his attacks was not just lucky; the only times he missed were when he was distracted in the act of swinging. He was anticipating her far too much; it was as if he knew when the Margravine was going to feint, and where she was going to move next, almost before she did herself.

Arkesh is grim on the link. <It's just like what the dossier says is claimed about pirates' battles with the Elven Armada. First the Empress trains her pilots in extreme flying maneuvers that no sane creature would use; they're much too dangerous and can rip your ship apart. Then, they say if she shows up at a battle in person, the Armada ships' spell cannons don't miss. Almost none of their attacks miss. The pirates say it's not magic, but something else. The superstitious ones blame it on a connection she claims with The SpellJammer... a mythical ship that's miles in size, like a small city, and a common sailor's worst omen if even its symbol is sighted. Looks like a winged scorpion. Sometimes you can't sort the foolishness from the truth until you see it for yourself. Now I believe they don't miss.

I don't know of anyone who has bribed the secret out of an Armada crew either. All they'll say is... they claim she never commands them but they'll follow their Empress anywhere, they just contradict themselves. Their loyalty is... ecch. I can't think about it.>

Lord Bane has three targets left for his attacks: The green-blue-red swordsman, the green-blue crossbowman previously identified as a Paladin, and the green-blue creature who focused to the north just when the bridge blew up. All three apparently absorbed the blue-green Chaos the Margravine brought, and no longer seemed damaged, to the Margravine, from what she saw.  The Sith lord prepares himself mentally, and then charges, silent and deadly, into the midst of the enemies.

Ears still ringing from the concussive burst of sound when the bridge exploded hear very little as the crimson blade slices into the unprepared foes -- nothing but the hiss of searing flesh and then brief screams as the creatures register that they have been attacked moments after Bane disappears back into the fog.

Bane's trajectory takes him first past the two blue-green creatures, which he recognizes from memory as the bearded one with the axe and the being in golden platemail.  His two initial strikes aim true, each one powering the lightsaber to cleave his enemy in twain, as he has known it to do so many times past.  Both figures collapse in an instant.

Then he is on the strange multicolored creature with the double scimitar, who seems to still be disoriented from the transition out of the Margravine's Dreamheart.  Nevertheless the creature survives the first attack from the lightsaber, though it strikes off one of its arms at the shoulder.  The wound is instantly cauterized by the crimson energy.

Bane's momentum begins to run out, but he has one final blow left... and with it he removes the creature's head.

Almost immediately the fog disappears -- whatever was suppressing the invisibility is gone.  Around Bane are a few spatters of blood on the cold dark stone, most of it tracing the path of the Margravine... and no bodies.  The cavern is eerily silent but for the rushing of the water and the ringing in everyone's ears.

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
(click to show/hide)
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Arkesh's voice comes over the link, fast and urgent, but pleased.  <Excellent work, Bane, Margravine.  That's 6 fewer of these enemies we have to deal with, whatever they are.  Now clear out quick before that undead monstrosity that Gleron sensed comes looking for its friends.>

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
"How odd... why are they focusing their efforts on damaging the landscape, evidently walling parts of it off? And they destroyed the bridge for what, exactly?

They've obviously duplicated themselves magically somehow... a nice trick, for sure. And while dangerous, they are obviously far less lethal than our own group. However, without time to recover after each battle, we may have a hard time ridding ourselves of all duplicates. It sounds like there are at least 9 copies of each of them... plus this undead beast, and the shapeshifting sharks...

This is shaping up to be the strangest battle I've ever participated in, I think."
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
In one smooth motion, the Bane finished his last cut by extinguishing his lightsaber and clipping it to his belt. Though he could neither hear or see his foes, the Force told him they had disappeared.

Arkesh's words echoed in his head and for a few moments he simply waited for all the bloodlust to disappear from his mind. His blood ceased to boil and he was immediately ravaged by the tremors caused by the damage the orbalisks had already done to his body. Gathering his willpower he messaged the party "Is there a reason we should worry about the undead monster? At some point we need to kill it anyway, so if it comes to look for the corpses, we have a chance of destroying it."
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Arkesh replies, <Don't get cocky, Gleron.  You caught them by surprise, and they still almost took out one of us.  There seem to be many more of them than us.  Be careful and work together.

Lord Bane, we have no idea how that thing destroyed the Umber Hulks in the barracks so quickly.  I would suggest staying away if possible until we have more information.  Especially since it seems that the monster destroyed the Hulks while resting safe beneath the ground, where it is very difficult to get to.>

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
They hit hard for sure... The Margravine grawled. She knew they would be expecting her and will fire on her. That it was not enough to stop her was just according to plan.
Even wounded, her armor pierced, her skin burned, her wig almost destroyed, she was still... regal. Full of dignity.
But that will.not.us. Hear me, men ! We know our duty !. We are the Guard.
She was floating above the small group, among them, eldritch energy thundering from here, born form the very dream stuff, some strange light coming from above illuminating Moïra.
ET LA GARDE MEURT, MAIS NE SE REND PAS !*
At this moment, the light extended, and everyone surrending her, can feel their wounds being healed, their muscles relaxing, their breath coming back to normal, their spirits restored. As well, the Margravine seems to be healed as well, her armor and her clothes pristine. Immediately afterward, the dreamstuff disappeared.
"I must say, Arkesh, your gift is potent indeed. Let's go to work, gentlemen."

*The Guards may die, but they never surrender !
(click to show/hide)
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:59 AM »
Gabriel checks the river; he is looking for confirmation of his expectation about Polymorph Self, and he finds it. But it's not the somewhat familiar Polymorph Self ((3.0)) that had been popular with mages in recent history before being supplanted in later teachings with the all-purpose practicality of Polymorph ((3.5)).

The methods of this spell's casting seem ancient and far more powerful, freed of the restrictions that govern the changes granted by Polymorph Self ((3.0)). Not as ancient and forbidden as the legendary magic from the mythical First Age of the Multiverse, but still from a much earlier time, when much of magic was wielded uncontrolled by modern conventions, with casting that is now forbidden in many places. Many thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions of years old.

Gabriel feels a chill. First, a Hand of Dumathoin wielding unknown Divine magic. Now this, arcane magic from distantly ancient times with power beyond what contemporary casters now know.

More, the spell seems pinned in place, held against its expiration by some external cause. Not Permanence, something else, temporarily locking it.

And that's not all. There is a second Polymorph effect, similar to a historical but recent version of Polymorph Other ((3.0)), but also seeming from ancient times, intertwined with the Polymorph Self. The fishes he sees that are herrings show it beneath the Polymorph Self; the sharks show it above the Polymorph Self. He sees them change form as they pass through the slats of Force; the relationship flips, back and forth.

Beyond this crafting, there is another question looming, suggested by his spellcraft: Polymorph Other, Polymorph Self. The spells are individually targeted. What kind of caster can place thousands of them at once? There must have been over a thousand sharks circulating in the river before the Vodyanoi killed them, and still there are many hundreds.

When Gabriel puts this information and issue on the link as Arkesh commanded, she thinks it over and then responds slowly, <Well... there might be an explanation I discounted. A lot of Planar creatures in Sigil claim to be eternal. It's a kind of power play; they'll just outlast you. Friends of Star Feather in Sigil, where she lives, say she's just under seven billion years old. You heard that right, seven BILLION.

I discounted that as silly rumor because the Second Age of the Multiverse is about four billion years old, along the mainstream of Prime timelines, or so I'm told, and the Spider Queen did not mention anything about Star Feather being a creature of the First Age when She prepared my dossier on her. That's something She would know for sure, and She would have warned me about that, because then the Elf would be unkillable by anything the Second Age could do to her. This would be a fools' mission, and I wouldn't be here.

But there is some evidence that gives credence to a lot of age, even if it's still a big exaggeration to puff up her image. Her parents are from early in the Second Age, their bios are well known at the Great Atlantean University and Library on Yggdrasil, where they work as Department chairs... Vita and Corona Feather, her mother and father, but they don't live on a Prime timeline so they're not that old and I didn't believe she was either; the reports are that she hardly ever sets foot on a Prime. The Illithids warned me away from the university as a condition of this contract, they expressly forbid any assassination attempt on University grounds. They tried several times to kill her and her family at the university already, but.. you don't want to tangle with University security at one of the oldest magic research institutions in the Multiverse. It's even led by a Githzerai who's a professional Illithid hunter. So the Elf could be very old, maybe not seven billion but still, she could have access to very old magic, maybe like what you saw.

Some spells are more powerful now, but a lot were more powerful then, so I'm told. A lot about magic changed in the last fifty or hundred thousand years, and old ideas have been officially suppressed or discredited by mage's guilds, governments, and the like.

I thought Feather's specialties were photomancy and chromomancy, she's a lightmage, and those spells you saw are neither. Well, her boyfriend is a professor of possibility magic, so who knows... besides, who knows how a seven billion year old creature thinks, if it's true; that's a lot of practice at staying alive.

At least it's not First Age magic. That would be a recipe for disaster. I think we're tough enough to deal with practically anything the Second Age can throw at us, short of a Deity. But keep your eyes open for more strange spells. I told you she's unpredictable. The closer we get to her, the weirder, that's my guess.>

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
Stooth rapidly collects his team and triggers one of his Runes at the auction area, and they disappear.  Throisar and Dormin similarly vanish as the elf-turned-human triggers a rune.

As Bane and Skellum attempt to enter the Portable Hole for transport to the auction area, they discover that Gabriel can't open it -- the Forbiddance blocks the interplanar travel between the compound and wherever the interior of the Hole is.  So that team quickly repairs to the conference room (where the Hole works fine) and organize themselves, then teleport to the auction area, arriving a few feet to the left of and a few seconds later than the others.

Everyone scans around the auction area, and sees a lot of fog making its way across the polished stone floor.

One cloud is a featureless gray bumpy column, floor to ceiling and thicker at the base, extending from the south wall out into the cavern 80 or 90 feet. Its movement is aimed right at the dais where you stand though it's still far down toward the eastern end some 200 feet away.

The other cloud is more like a lumpy fog bank, wide and growing wider as you watch, at least 200 feet across. It too is floor to ceiling and about 200 feet away; it completely shrouds the view of the northeast end of the cavern.

The clouds are completely impenetrable to normal sight, and too far away for anyone's specialized senses to pick out creatures inside.

After watching for a brief time it becomes curiously evident that the fog itself is not moving; there is no roll or billow to it as an advancing cloud should have. Its surface seems almost completely still, and featureless. Nevertheless, the fog column and fog bank continue to make their way toward the west end of the auction area at an unhurried pace.

The progress of the fog coincides with triggering alarms, which have progressed from three of the original trigger points out into the auction area.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:25:45 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
Gabriel flies over to the corner of the next building, so he can bring his Magic Jar senses to bear on the beings within the clouds. He also calls his force puppet back to the area.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 02:52:12 AM »
Well, now.  This looks to house something interesting.  As fun as dementia space can be, I haven't called out the girls in far too long.

"Should I throw in some minor beasties to see what happens?"
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »
Gabriel teleports his Force Puppet to the auction area, then extends his necromantic senses over the auction area.  He detects 3 groups of life-forms of identical make-up, one in the southern cloud and two in the northern cloud.

In each group there are 6 life-forms (A thru E):
(click to show/hide)

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
Gabriel drops a Kelgore's Grave Mist on the group to the south, centered on the red-skinned being.

His force puppet also moves adjacent to Gabriel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:54:08 PM by phaedrusxy »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
Gabriel drops a Kelgore's Grave Mist on the group to the south, centered on the red-skinned being.

His force puppet also moves adjacent to Gabriel.

((Please roll damage and a CL check vs spell resistance))