Author Topic: Action thread: Group 10  (Read 30138 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Re: Action thread: Group 10
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2012, 04:55:53 AM »
Star responds to Ror’s inquiry, and request for the Scarf. She unfolds the Scarf again, invites Ror in with her if it pleases him; they come out and she starts packing it again.

Then she smiles, shaking her head, goes back into the Scarf, and comes out with three more sheaves of scrolls, which she hands to Ror.

{Star} Excellent idea to prepare these. Thirty of Mass Heal. Thirty of Greater Dispel. Thirty of Disintegrate. Three for each of us, if you choose to distribute them, and three extras; all things in threes.

Sable returns to group10 with what he found in the triangular room on the island at CC, to bring the hairs back to Star. She accepts them with thanks and carefully places them in a green glass stoppered bottle.

Back into the Scarf, and back out again… Star shakes her head as she finally packs the Scarf.

{Star} Divination from here, or from inside the Scarf, does not penetrate this complex, not even with the Dream woman’s hair as a focus. This is not unexpected; I have not been able to Scry into the complex from other locations and not even Winston’s automated Scrying from the University has penetrated it.

I have the Spells and methods for Voodoo Magic to hurt the Dream woman through her hair, but it is Evil Magic; they are not Castings or procedures I would do. I will not become like her to defeat her; then the Illithids would have destroyed me as surely as by any other means. Perhaps they even were left intentionally to tempt me down that dark path… I try never to underestimate the subtlety of Evil; Evil depends greatly on our own weakness for its power over us.

But thankyou nonetheless, Sable. First, it was certainly worth the experiment to Scry her using the hair, even though I didn’t expect success. And she still will want them back very badly, so they remain a bargaining tool if we have the opportunity.

Star responds to Ptolemaeus’ question about Astral Travel: {Star} Astral Travel ordinarily is also barred by Forbiddance. Gates… as we know!... Ethereal, Astral, and Dimensional access, Teleport, all transit into a Forbiddance ordinarily is blocked. I haven’t experimented with Temporal access… that might be an exception, but there is too much risk of bifurcating the Timeline here and creating a Timeloop… or perhaps more of them than there are already. The Timestream around Bral already has regions of disarray, as you have seen yourself!

Following PtolemaeusO’s instructions, all but two of his copies have returned to group10 and rejoin the extras in their Bag, while the remaining two go to location9 in search of the man with the Light sword and the woman of Dreams.

The copies reach the river and fly over it to the ruined foot of the bridge that stood there till a little while ago. There is no sign of either the Lightswordsman or the Dream woman.

Ptolemaeus’ instructions were for his copies to follow the projected path that the man and woman were last seen and start from there, and so the two Ptolemaeus copies search for a projection of the path… and with Ptolemaeus’ Timesight and Spellcraft, they find a faint residue of transit.

PtolemaeusO is able to interpret that faint residue of an almost completely faded Effect… the Silver Ring that Star lent to him shows him the path they just used! A Teleport, or something similar, occurred within the last few minutes, and he can see the endpoint: the dais on the south wall of the auction area. The exact Spell is no longer visible but the Silver Ring makes the path visible for whatever he can perceive, as Star explained. Without Timesight he could not have detected the residue… but there it is, and so Ptolemaeus can tell where it went.

One of the copies sets off on the rest of the assigned task, to tail the Lightswordsman and the Dream woman at maximum distance. He flies back across area BB toward the auction area, reporting on the Link that he is on the way to fly through the warrens at maximum speed toward the dais to take up a position to observe, also noting that he is also taking care of PtolemaeusO’s option one, to search for the light sword warrior and Dream lady, even though they seem to have been found, and possibly option two, to help groups 234 in the battle.

The other Ptolemaeus copy had no other instructions, and so proceeds with the third option PtolemaeusO had: Search the stairs Sable found, since it is beneath the street where they found the transit residue.

From the combat map of the area with Sable’s report on the space of the stairwell, the Ptolemaeus copy easily finds the foot of the stairs at a small quay on the river, a hidden boat landing accessible from the triangular meeting room above.

The stairs themselves are dusty, and appear to have been unused for a long time. They are otherwise empty. A close examination of the trap door into the conference room does not show any signs of recent activity either.

With this task complete, the Ptolemaeus copy returns to group10, unless PtolemaeusO provides further instructions on the way.

Several things happen at group10 as a result of the fight at group2.

As Halt2, Halfaz2, Ror2, Vir2, and Tanatou2 wink out, primary copies of HaltO, HalfazO, RorO, VirO, and TanatouO feel the damage that RorO identifies as the death of a copy, though it is quickly healed in RorO’s and Star’s radius.

Parrots2 appear in the extras Bag.

Star leaves the Protection from Plane for Dream on Sheerak2, and places the remaining eleven onto all of group3 since they are closest to the Dream woman now, and all but Sheerak4 in group4, thus covering two copies of everyone: Sheerak23, and copies34 of everyone else.

All information goes on the Link.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:30 AM »
How about this:  we Gate from here to the plane of Earth, and then immediately Gate from the plane of Earth into the floor underneath the Auction area.  That is probably faster than Earth Gliding the entire way.

RorO distributes the scrolls around GroupO; 3 copies each of Superior Invisibility (CL 15), Mass Heal (CL 17), Greater Dispel (CL 11), and Disintegrate (CL 13) . (Note that only the originals get copies, since the copies can't use spell completion items.)  Sable, do you want copies of these?  You won't be able to cast them from my Rituals, but you may have other means to do so.  For everyone else, I haven't activated the Rituals yet.  Let me know when I should.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
"I'll take you up on that offer." Sable says to Ror with a smirk as he accepts the bundles of scrolls and sorts them into four scroll tubes which he scratched distinctly with his thumb claw, "I *can* read, you know." He mocks hurt rather well, but there's no truth behind it, and this was hardly the time for Weasel Tears.

"Okay so we got folks on those suspicious stairs, and a bargaining chip against the Dream lady. Though, if setting up some evil voodoo is inherantly Evil then I agree Star, shouldn't compromise yourself. BUT... if it's the actual usage that's evil, and not the prep, then hell, I'll do it. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to use one evil to combat another, and I'll just tip heavily at a church and scrub away all my... okay maybe not all my vices, but at least this vice." he said with a smirk.

After a pause, "Okay so here's a thought. Let me at that Dreamy lady. I'll sneak up on her, dive under the back of her shirt, dig in around the rattlesnake spot and set off one of Ror's anti-magic incense candles. That outta take the wind out of her sails."
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
Star looks a bit troubled, but more amused than troubled. Her gaze is ancient as she regards Sable; the full weight of her near seven billion years falls upon him. {Star} 'Inherently.' Yes. Precisely the word.

Preparing the way for others to do Evil... is inherently evil, is it not?

Thank you, Sable, for a perfect example of the weakness in us that Evil depends upon, feeds upon.

We twist and turn to gain power from embracing Evil while hoping in our cleverness to avoid the taint of that touch.

When hope changes to belief, we are lost, though we may not realize it... some never realize it.

But likewise I deny no one their choices, for that is yet another Evil… Halfaz has a glimpse of my own understandings about power, why I choose to be Empress, why I do not choose to be, or serve, a Deity… even though it seems certain to me that we all serve the Will of Dumathoin in this Moment, believers or no. He has sent His Thought into the Multiverse and we dance to It. Can you not feel it? I sense the eyes of Deities upon us yet unnamed. Who has made Dumathoin blind here? Who took Sheerak9? It will be interesting what is revealed to us…

Well. Sable, if you choose to fall, it is yours to make, so long as you do not deny others' choices...

It is just the making of a doll, a small thing in itself. What consequence that the doll has Similarity? What consequence that Similarity opens a channel for torture? That has little to do with the doll-maker... does it?

It is such a small thing, it could be a mere footnote in The Book Of Things It Is Best Not To Know At All.

Ah. I see by your reaction that perhaps you did not know of such a Book. Do you now hunger for it?

...Or abhor it? Or both at once?

Then that may be your first lesson to puzzle and solve, and gain what wisdom about yourself in the world that you may, from the effort.

But only… only…

…Only if it pleases you to do so.
Star laughs, clear and bell-like, dispelling the heaviness of the moment in a burst of amusement, as much at herself as at anything else.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
Sable listens as Star expounds the wisdoms of eternity upon him. Evil, evil, and EVIL all seeming to blend together. He had faced monsters of old, faced men who could level towns with a hard glare... he had faced against monsters of pure living mercury, and worse. At the mention of an actual Book of things man wasn't meant to know, part of Sable was glad he was mostly weasel at this point. When she asked if he yearned for the book, Sable waved it off.

"Pfffft, yeah, like I read." he said, a clear joke in connection to his answer to Ror. "Hey, if you say something it bad, like BAD bad... then I trust you. If I'm going to condemn my soul to Hell, I'd rather it be for the more enjoyable sins like Lust or ... Lust. Greed is nice too, though. Swimming in a pool of golden coins and gems, then have a pair of lovely elve... you know what, nevermind. You don't need to hear that. Point made. Stick to the fun vices, and avoid things that will condemn you but aren't fun."

"Cause having fun pleases me." he chuckled, and gave Star a smile.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
For the d20 roll… Knowledge Customs? Whatever Knowledge would be representative of Meridian culture.

Probably Knowledge: Local

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
"Master Ror! If you think it will work, lets make haste because our copies are being attacked right now."
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2012, 12:58:25 AM »
Star’s voice is urgent on the Link: {Star} Those were no Illithid tentacles. Too powerful and wrongly colored. But what they looked most like should not exist here on Bral; even the Illithids would not dare to do such a thing, not if they wish to preserve their compound, and Bral itself… and why could I not see them until group6 did!! Her voice trails off in extreme concern.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2012, 11:48:01 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Ptolemaeus and Sable see the attack on group2 in gory detail on the Link through Sheerak2’s ring-side seat, and both have a glimmer of recognition about the Lightswordsman. Comparing recollections, they find they have similar background inforomation; Ptolemaeus’ is more exact, since he recalls specific
conversations with individuals, histories that he read, and files from the Guardians Archives, while for Sable… whoever this really is just walked out of a Story.

As they quickly exchange information they remember more and more…

For some, the Story is long, long ago and far, far away.

For others, it’s last week’s news, and they are cleaning up the aftermath. Personally.

For Ptolemaeus, while having dinner at Milliways, *everything* is long, long ago and far, far, away except dinner.

So all Stories are equally inaccessible, or accessible... and this Story is well known in Meridian City; almost everyone has heard at least something about it.

The Order of the Sith Lords, also known as Bane's Sith Order, Banite Sith, or simply Sith, was an ancient organization of Force practitioners skilled in the ways of the Sith and the power of the Dark side. The Sith Lord Darth Bane engineered the destruction of the Brotherhood of Darkness in order to institute a rebirth of the Sith.

The Force was a metaphysical, binding, and ubiquitous power that held enormous importance for both the Jedi and Sith monastic orders. Known as the Way in even older times, the Force was viewed in many different aspects: the Light side, the Dark side, the Unifying Force, and the Living Force.

The first two aspects were concerned with the moral compass of the Force, as manifested by the conduct and emotions of living creatures who were themselves part of the fabric of the Force. The Light side of the Force was the facet aligned with compassion, selflessness, self-knowledge and enlightenment, healing, mercy and benevolence, while the Dark side of the Force was the element aligned with hatred, fear, covetousness, anger, aggression, jealousy and malevolence.

The latter two aspects were defined by prominent Jedi philosophies: The Unifying Force essentially embraced space and Time in its entirety while the Living Force dealt with the energy of living things. Though the Force was categorized in this way, there were no specific abilities or powers that were only usable by a follower of a different path of the Force; the Force partially existed inside the life forms that used it, and drew energy from their emotions.

Some beings, particularly the Sith, believed that the dark side of the Force was more powerful than the light, though it was possible that the dark side was just more tempting to those who used it (or desired to use it). Others thought of the Force as an entity capable of intelligent thought, almost as a sort of deity. Anakin Skywalker, who was believed to have been conceived by the Force itself, may have shared this belief; if this was indeed the case, it would add credence towards the view of the Force as a sentient entity.

Though the Force was thought to flow through every living thing, its power could only be harnessed by beings described as "Force-sensitive." This Force-sensitivity was correlated with, and sometimes attributed to, a high count of internal microorganisms called midi-chlorians that were found in a Force-sensitive's blood: the higher the count, the greater the being's potential Force ability, though there were some exceptions to this rule. Force-sensitive beings were able to tap into the Force to perform acts of great skill and agility as well as control and shape the world around them. Sometimes this ability was described as having a strong Force "aura".

Ptolemaeus knows that the Force was only partially understood by both the Sith and the Jedi, because their knowledge of Time and the Planes was so limited; most only knew of, and believed in, their own Prime Material Plane. When those aligned to the Light side found that their Spirits could exist in many places and Times, a phenomenon quite powerful and remarkable to them, they did not realize that they were simply traversing Time in accordance with their needs and wishes, driven by and protected by their own strong beliefs about the reality around them and the impact of their Wisdom upon those beliefs… the way all practitioners navigate the Timestream.

From their state of knowledge, what both the Jedi and the Sith could not see was this: the Force is the Pattern of the Timestream itself, the intersection of Time and Positive Energy imbuing all living creatures, for the Light side, and the intersection of Time and Negative Energy imbuing all Undeath, for the Dark side. Where the two meet, there is Time, Positive Energy, and Negative Energy all together; those do not cancel but instead form Shadow… Time and Shadow, the components of the many Shadows of the Pattern. The belief of the Jedi and Sith practitioners that the Force was an entity with direction had some reality in that respect; Ptolemaeus knows that some believe the Pattern has its own direction; “The Pattern Weaves as the Pattern Wills” is a phrase he has heard before, said by practitioners who have some ability in Weaves of their own making... or so the rumors say, that Ptolemaeus has heard. Others identify a creature with the Pattern: A Unicorn.

There are many answers but the questions are as much of a tangle as the Pattern itself.

Ptolemaeus knows there is more, but has not found answers beyond this point in his knowledge… yet. He knows that there are creatures who are very powerful in Shadow, that Shadow can be crafted into many things by Magic, and Shadow Conjurations can be quite real… but he also knows that this information is still only on the surface of something much deeper, from hints and scraps he has found. He is still searching for these connections, as answers to his own situation, and Star has already hinted that she knows. Who better to ask than the last… and Royal… Time Elemental?

Bane developed the Rule of Two. Under this new tenet, only two Sith Lords were allowed to exist at any given time; a master and an apprentice; one embodied power while the other craved it. Hence, the Rule of Two was designed to cull the weak from the ranks of the Sith, thereby ensuring that only the strong remained. Bane's expectations of the new Order were met with his death at the hands of his own apprentice, Darth Zannah. The tradition was carried on over the next millennium, even though many Sith who followed in Bane's lineage were appalled at the thought of being slain by their own apprentices. After centuries of operating in secrecy, the Grand Plan for revenge was initiated by the Sith Lords Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious. Sidious, who usurped his Master's position, ultimately fulfilled Darth Bane's dream: the return of Sith dominance throughout their galaxy. With the betrayal and near destruction of the Jedi Order, Sidious dissolved the Galactic Republic and replaced it with the Galactic Empire. Ruling as emperor in his public guise as "Palpatine", Sidious' reign was prophetically ended by his own apprentice—the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. Though he returned in the form of several clones, each inhabited in turn by the Emperor's dark spirit, Sidious' final demise in 11 ABY ended the line of Bane and Zannah.

Sable has seen visuals from Stories, and in a flash of recognition that leaves him feeling very strange, he realizes that the Lightswordsman looks exactly like the Lord Bane of Story.

And perhaps even stranger, as the flood of related visuals surfaces in Sable’s memory, he realizes that our own Tanatou is a very dead ringer for… Darth Sidious, the Sith Lord at the end of Bane’s Story. In Sheerak2’s close view of the fight, Sable realizes on reflection that the look of recognition and shock that passed across Bane’s face when he saw fully the creature he was about to strike down means this: Sable knows that Bane may even think a Sith Lord is on Sable’s side of the conflict.

Pooling their knowledge on the Link, Sable and Ptolemaeus find that they have a few answers, but even more questions.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
[apologetic double post - "stupid red mark of roll editing"]

Group7, you're closest to where Group6 just disappeared.  Why don't you head in that direction as fast as possible?  Earthglide directly to near that area and then split up to approach it from multiple directions.  Let's see if we can figure out what happened over there.

[/apologetic double post]

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
(click to show/hide)