Author Topic: Action thread: Group 10  (Read 30132 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Re: Action thread: Group 10
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Information and impressions from the other groups now underway spill onto the Link, as they start to position themselves for demolition.

In group10, Ptolemaeus and Ror exchange impressions of distance and explosive force, mindful of BOOOOM, Love JanisTM instructions from Janis. Group10 never went into the corridor, staying in the ceiling; Ror10 placed the charge from inside, and the group moved along the corridor toward the slave pens to get a better look at them, especially after the Guards and Wards was cleared for a 100 foot distance. Even the Forbiddance was cleared, once by Star and once by Ror, though no one entered the corridor due to concerns about the Alarm, a debate that was left unresolved – so group10 has not tripped the Alarm yet either. All in all, they can easily see that everyone is far enough away to detonate the charge without getting hurt, though it will be a rough ride inside the rock.

Ror and Ror10 see all are far enough to be clear, and so Ror10 thinks "BOOOM!"

A shockwave slaps through the rock, jarring everyone’s teeth and shaking them to their bones, immediately followed by a rolling crash of sound. The floor of the tunnel jumps as a section of ceiling sprays wide like shrapnel and huge blocks of rock tumble down. The crossed roof supports shatter, their center pulverized to a dust cloud, and ripping noises immediately follow the crash as even more blocks tumble after the first load. Dust chokes an area about thirty feet in radius; it’s hard to see what devastation has been wrought, but dimly it appears that the corridor is completely blocked with a broad pile of rubble floor to ceiling and wall to wall that is at least ten feet thick at the top, perhaps twenty feet thick at the bottom. Rock litter even extends into the slave pens; the bars of the closest cages are covered with dust and the floor there is littered with pebbles.

On the Link, impressions from every group show that they felt the blast wherever they were in the complex.

It worked.

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 01:45:13 AM »
Shaking off the shockwave of the explosion, Ptolemaeus speaks up. "I was going to say, 'Now that is a declaration of war!' but nevertheless, surely everyone in this compound knows we are here, in however manner they still missed us until now," he says with a smile.

"Right, we shall guard this spot for any possible reinforcements while waiting for Sable's report. Everyone, be careful with your respective battles. However way you plan to fight, the most important is that each group monitor and report the enemy's positions and movement," he adds in through the Link™.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
Vir O says, Thanks, but Star's right, without the birds seeing who they hit, they could be killing hostages.  I assume Star can resurect them if need be, but I'd rather not kill the hostages with bind bird shots.  The slaves could be in the barracks for safekeeping, since Sable hasn't found them.  Do I call back the birds, or let them sweep the barracks?

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
"No, just hold them back for the moment. They shall see their purpose later. But as of now, just hold them back until we find out where we can deploy them most usefully," replies Ptolemaeus.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Star responds on the Link: {Star} Vir, Ptolemaeus... you saw in my combat map the extrapolations of Life Energy estimates and creature sizes, from the Vampiric Energy results and the thuds detected as bodies hit the floor... if any of the Elven slaves were in the barracks, they were very unusual big, heavy Elves with Life Energy similar to an Umber Hulk.

So I'm not too worried about Resurrections.

My caution to Vir is that for the next target, wherever it might be, he might want a visual or other indication confirming that it's Umber Hulks or Illithids or other opposition creatures to be doomed by the Parrot Cloud of Death.

As I showed on the Link's combat map, matching your Parrot Cloud's movement to the map we have of the complex, I think you've cleaned out whatever was in the barracks building and a short distance to either side of it; group9 heard Umber Hulk sized bodies fleeing the building and then dropping in the street as well, via Tremorsense. By my count I estimate forty Umber Hulks including some larger ones, probably their garrison's leaders.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
"Okay gang, here's the current news." Sable broadcasts through the link, but just to the originals. The copies were busy fighting / dying / distracting...

"I can't see, in any spectrum but that never stopped me before. Every pen I've searched so far is empty. I'm going to do a quick sweep of the other pens, then see if I can find, well for lack of a better term, an administrative complex. Someplace where the people in charge would have been while this place was operational. They definitely moved, and from the looks of it they probably moved in a hurry. They probably figured on us hitting here first to free everyone." he pondered, "Hell I can go scout the rest of the barracks real fast to see what's there. Real quiet like... Also, there are a TON of really great hiding places on this map. Not tunnels, mind you, but like that square pyramid looking thing to the south, or that lonely looking island to the southeast... "

Sable then makes himself incredibly tiny, (Size Category: Fine) and makes his way through the stone like a little weasel missile. "Vir, keep those damn birds clear for a moment. If there are hulks there, I'll soften them up with a little wad of Boom Go Fuck Yourself Signed Janis and Sable. Just wait for the kaboom."

Plan: Scope the barracks, drop a wad of primed BOOM in the floor of any barracks that contain only enemies. Run away, then think about ruining their day. Cherry, thanks Janis.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
Vir iagrees to keep the birds from Sable. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
Star is tracking the movements of Sable and of the Parrrot Clouds of Death on the combat map she is sending to everyone on the Link, so that Vir and Sable can arrange to miss. The parrots are underneath the barracks and going deeper. Sable is underneath the slave pens and headed mostly southwest.

To get around the birds and underneath the river, Sable plunges deeper… and passes through Bral’s gravity plane! It runs just below the river in this area, and even closer to the floor in some places as Janis mentioned during her briefing.

Suddenly Sable feels like he is zooming through the rock upside down; down is up; up is down, and the world even turns sideways for a moment as he passes through the gravity plane and is floating in zero gravity. These changes are rapid, and quite disorienting.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
Sable's diminished height and size do not impact his speed, having been likened to a miserable little flea back home at times. Comparing this to a swim, he's equally at home swimming as he is running or jumping.

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:01 AM »
So, at the moment, Group10 (-Sable) is holding position, waiting and gathering info from the other groups, correct?

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
Vir 10 says to Vir O If the pens are empty of slaves, then we could sent the parrots throguh the pens to clear the likely enemies or ambush there.

Vir O responds I was thinking that, but worried about if the slaves are still just hidden somewhere.  Any ideas from you lunkers? He asks, indicating that he is asking the taller folk.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
From group10’s position inside the rock around the corner from location10, group10 feels the jarring shockwave jolts and hears two blasts rumble through the rock and into the slave pens area, one from directly north on the far side of area BB, and the other, not as loud, echoing down from the far end of the slave pens area to the northwest.

These are followed by three more jolts, a strong one from the northeast, and two much fainter ones farther to the north.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:42:06 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:43 AM »
RorO looks at Star's combat map, concerned that SheerakO is damaged from Sheerak9's disappearance.

{RorO on the Link} SheerakO, are you OK?

@ieatfood & all: Don't forget that a copy dying deals 10 damage to the original, and that RorO has Regen5 within 100'.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
"Okay, everyone, especially the copies. I cannot stress this enough, but be careful. Can we get a head count on all hostiles that got in the Pens area through those explosions?" Ptol broadcasts through the Link™.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
From group10’s position inside the rock around the corner from location10, group10 feels one more shockwave jolt, though it’s a faint one far to the north.

Meanwhile, in response to the questions from RorO and PtolemaeusO, Star comments on the combat map image she is continuously updating on the Link:

{Star} Ror, Sheerak, I didn’t change SheerakO’s Life Energy status on the combat map because I didn’t see any reduction when Sheerak9 was gone. Ror, I’m not familiar with your Magic, so I could only offer sheer speculation about what that might mean. I’m disturbed by group9’s report of a momentary sense of Divinity when that happened. I wonder if it has something to do with the General’s visit to Acheron, though that would suggest he recruited some very high powered help… and it would be uncharacteristically foolish of him, because no Lower Planes Divinity will be acting in the General’s interests, no matter what he thinks he negotiated.

Ptolemaeus, you’ll notice I have not indicated any creatures in the slave pens, area BB; Sable did not find any in his sampler of inspections and we have no indication as yet that any were released by the explosions. Groups 1, 2, and 6 have engaged inside the warrens with Umber Hulks, and Sheerak1 destroyed one while I suspect group2 just blew up three more who were still inside the warrens. Vir’s parrots decimated a garrison of Umber Hulks in area CC, and Group9 has encountered some other type of creature in area CC, appearing as a human female, who attacked them from Dream. The sharks seem to have encountered something in the river; I’d expect it’s the aquatic Umber Hulks, Vodyanoi, the Illithids are likely to have patrolling there. That is the summary as I’ve sensed it from the Link, and reported it in the combat map on the Link.

We seem to be awaiting the results of searches for the slaves, while skirmishing in some areas. Those skirmishes are likely to intensify as the enemy begins to react more strongly to our presence when their initial responses fail.

Right now it seems like probe and counter-probe. We’re sparring, aren’t we, with our groups of copies, testing the enemy’s defenses and responses.

I would expect their leaders to be doing the same with us; they would want to know just how much they need to commit, to win. Part of The PlanTM that we discussed was to lead them into underestimating us, by sending them groups of copies first.

For myself, I try never to have all of my resources and defenses visible, always to have surprises in reserve and… with the one exception to negotiate from strength if needed… I show as little as I can to my enemies; it’s kept me alive for a very long time.

(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Ptolemaeus takes a moment to think. Then turns to the others. "We have to move fast. It seems to look like they placed the slaves elsewhere than the Pens. We should ascertain this as soon as possible. I could use my other copies to provide additional scouting(the ones that do not need to be near Ror). They have my senses, they do not need to enter into the tunnels, they could just stay inside the floors. Maybe others whose copies have similar detection capabilities can help in hastening the process."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »
"I think you're right, Master Ptolemaeus! I think finding the slaves is our top priority right now."
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
Just as Star begins to agree about finding the slaves, the dramatic action on the Link from group9 crowds out other conversation.

The explosion of the bridge connecting CC to BB, and the concussion when it collapses into the river at the far southwest end of the slave pens area BB, shake location10 as well.

There is a very curious juxtaposition of impressions on the Link, the slow, Dreamy shaking, spaced apart, being experienced by group9 and the rapid shockwaves, in a row, being experienced by everyone at location10, even though those impressions are all crowded together on the Link as expected.

Corresponding reports of a very minor tremor come in from the other groups, stronger for group5 and 7, very faint for all others. Group1 and 6 are too busy with combat to give much attention to yet another small, distant tremor.

Sable is rocked by both. First, the shockwave from the bridge explosion rips through the stone and races through his path, no longer very far away now, sending him tumbling. Soon after, the bridge crashes against the bottom of the riverbed, sending another shockwave, not quite as violent but still shaking him. Disorientation in the shaking world of rock around him slows him slightly before he gets back on course. (Sable himself, of course, would never be disoriented; it was the Rock of Bral that didn’t know which way was up.)

With their exceptional Spellcraft, Ror, Ptolemaeus, and Halt easily recognize the Spell Effect brought by the flying woman’s Dream at location9, moments after Star’s warning on the Link is overwhelmed by the five audials from group9 of the deep blast of sound directly from the bridge explosion at location9: {Star} A Sonic Law attack! She is pronouncing Dictum upon you!

Then she begins to warn group9 about the attacking figure with the blade of Light, but he is much faster than he should be; in moments, group9 is gone from the Link and Star leaves the area blank on the combat map for lack of information, except to note the parrots, and Sable still closing on the area from deep below.

Star grimly shakes her head. {Star} I have Contingency preparations personally for such things as Dictum and other Power Words… it would be careless not to do so… but we did not prepare the copies for them. Perhaps that was careless as well.

Then she grins at them. {Star} Perhaps we did not plan long enough? What do you say; perhaps we should have stayed in the Scarf even longer... I think not. Some of you were wishing for more action. Now we all have it.

We do not have specific preparations for this, and the copies have very few Magical resources, but those resources are very flexible and powerful. I’m sure we can improvise against these types of attacks.

First, Alignment-based attacks in combination; they attempt to defeat us by a principle of exclusion that leaves no survival alternative.

Second, Sonic based attacks.

Third, great damage from single weapon strikes… that must have been the sword of Light. I have its exact shade from the Link; it should be possible to Reflect it with Chromomancy. I’ll think on the problem from that perspective since it’s my area of expertise, though there may be other solutions that you all may realize, if it pleases you to do so.

And it may please you to decide before they attack another group, with similar means. They have tested our defenses, and found them wanting. I expect them to exploit these weaknesses, so survival may depend on adapting quickly.

Sable, it may please you not to rely on your Alignment defenses against this Spell. Its Spelltags are, in a sense, the inverse of Forbiddance. Rather than a Spelltag design damaging those who do not have a particular Aura, as Forbiddance does, Dictum’s Spelltag design slays all, except that those with the Aura of Law are protected; those without are not. Thus Forbiddance will not damage someone with no Alignment, while Dictum will not protect someone with no alignment. It would be an interesting experiment, but you may prefer to conduct the experiment in my lab with protective Contingencies in place, rather than in combat.

She shakes her head again and grimaces. She says again, {Star} Dictum.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:05:42 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 01:49:54 AM »
Ptolemaeus racks his wits to process the flurry of activity through the Link™. "No, I think further planning would not have helped us in this situation. We could only plan so much, seeing things in action is a different story altogether. We knew the risks of having our copies wander out there on their own. Besides, I think we gained more than we lost in this situation, more or less. We had our opponents reveal at least some of their cards without us the real us taking the full brunt of it, right?"

He pauses a bit then looks at the bags, then calls out five of his copies, giving them the instructions of scouting the rest of the Pens that Sable have not checked yet. "Remember to stay away from the direction of point 9, and do not engage at all costs; phase through the rocks out of here when pursued by hostiles."

He then turns to the others. "Well, I guess it is not too early right now to be planning about what to do if the slaves are not found."