Author Topic: Chat  (Read 16200 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Chat
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »
I am usually oppose chat functions on forums, but I feel like we have a decent bunch of people hanging around here, so to me this is worth asking. Is there a chance that we could incorporate a chat to the forums? I have seen those elsewhere, so I know they can be added to some sites, but unfortunately I do not know the mechanical details.

Admins, mods, the prole, any ideas or thoughts?
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Hm. I've seen a few addons for this, but I never really looked into them.

A chat function might reduce traffic on the boards themselves, for one thing...
Would a chatroom really need to be integrated into the boards? Because that could be ugly and/or too small to keep track of easily. A link to a chatroom on the top bar would be another thing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:12:14 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

Do they really need to be integrated into the boards themselves? Because that could be ugly and/or too small to keep track of easily.
While something like an IRC channel could work, it requires either opening another webpage or acquiring a specific application. Judging from the online hours, heaps of users keep this forum open even if they are not actively browsing them. It could reduce the need for PMs and petty arguments that are eventually solved in threads that span a few dozen pages because no-one is actually putting out decent arguments, but resulting to pointless insults.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »

Do they really need to be integrated into the boards themselves? Because that could be ugly and/or too small to keep track of easily.
While something like an IRC channel could work, it requires either opening another webpage or acquiring a specific application. Judging from the online hours, heaps of users keep this forum open even if they are not actively browsing them. It could reduce the need for PMs and petty arguments that are eventually solved in threads that span a few dozen pages because no-one is actually putting out decent arguments, but resulting to pointless insults.

This makes no sense.  Either we are decent people who would be good to chat with, or the chatroom will be for flaming and insults that we're moving off the boards.  Which is it?  ;) ;)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »

This makes no sense.  Either we are decent people who would be good to chat with, or the chatroom will be for flaming and insults that we're moving off the boards.  Which is it?  ;) ;)
The crap in the chat disappears far faster. Dragging in people who have no clue about the origins of the argument won't jump in and so forth. Also, it avoids annoying thread resurrections and might solve some disputes faster and afterwards the participants could post the synopsis of their beef to the relevant thread.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
I think it would work much better to have nice and friendly happy chats in the chatroom, and have the flame wars in threads that can be ignored or deleted.

Just kidding :)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
I think it would work much better to have nice and friendly happy chats in the chatroom, and have the flame wars in threads that can be ignored or deleted.

Just kidding :)
A joke or not, the point itself is decent. I'd rather have happy chats instead of Vietnam-like flame wars. The chat function could, however, result in fewer useless one-liners and silly fights in threads that really contribute to the forum.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Dan2

• Wizicist
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
I'd be willing to register and IRC chatroom for this purpose if you think that would end up being sufficient.
Dan2

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »
Can't lose with IRC, anyone can use their preferred clients and no download/install my l33t chat program that's barely works.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
What's the risk of valid information that would instead go into a thread being lost to the ether of an IRC, though?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »
If it's relevant, repost it or even simply save the chat log and keep it for your own purposes w/e.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »
saving it for yourself doesn't help the rest of the users, however. I guess I'm just leery of good information and discussion being lost to the temporality that is chat.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »
We could always have a compilation thread in which people could post interesting/useful/valuable things that are said in the chat.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
So, did we ultimately decide that this was a silly idea, or should we look into getting an IRC room?
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
So, did we ultimately decide that this was a silly idea, or should we look into getting an IRC room?
I suppose I could take a few seconds out of my not very busy schedule and go register a channel on, like, rizon or wherever.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
I don't think an official IRC channel is a good idea. Partly because of the difficulty in moderating, partly because we'd have to ask Meg + Josh for permission for something like that.

An unofficial channel, run by a regular user(s), though? That should be fine.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
I don't think an official IRC channel is a good idea. Partly because of the difficulty in moderating, partly because we'd have to ask Meg + Josh for permission for something like that.

An unofficial channel, run by a regular user(s), though? That should be fine.
Good point. If, say, Boz or Tshern want to do this, it might be a better idea.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
Yeah, I can do it. Rizon sound good, or would you guys prefer, I dunno, Quakenet?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Whichever, really. Rizon is probably the biggest one I know out there. I've never used Quakenet, but I  assume it's not too different from any other IRC server.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
Alright, let's see how horribly I've managed to mangle this.

We have a channel up on Rizon: #mmxgeneral, and if anyone who knows more about IRC than I do would like to tell me what I've done wrong, go for it.