Author Topic: Talkin' like it's 1759! (OoC chat)  (Read 141501 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Talkin' like it's 1759! (OoC chat)
« Reply #680 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Well, as a questionable man of the law who is definitely not an axe murderer, I need a nice durable trenchcoat to deal with the sprays of blood from the axe murders I haven't been doing.  Also, probably attacks and stuff since I'm going more martial minded than previously.  He's a fighter.

He has his favorite axe, which is really for utility and not secret axe murders.

And a gun.  Ideally I was looking for a longish-range shotgun, but all of those seem to be two-handed and up.  Fair enough.  So it's currently a Colt Python, though any sufficiently big gun will do.  The idea is getting off a single shot pre-melee, so when they close in (or I close in) they're nice and softened up for some not axe murder, so big damage, bad reload is fine since I only expect to get off one shot, and one handed because I'll start with sword and gun held.

Beyond that, incidental items for a future sheriff.  Manacles probably with key.  Utilitarian rope and chain.  Maybe a flask for the alcohol I'll need doing investigating all the axe murders.  That kind of stuff.
Mudada.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 19, 2016, 09:19:28 PM »
Doctor's bag(item that gives bonuses to treat injury and surgery), appropriate clothing, leather rain cloak/duster, melee weapon (likely a spear or staff), back up melee weapon (dagger or knife), some kind of protection (armor or some such), assorted utility items, a handful of poisons and medications(alchemy items), a pharmaceutical lab (likely in his home). Definitely a well stocked bar with high end liquor especially whiskeys. He'll need a pipe and tobacco as well. Would probably own a doctors bugnight and horses as well. I'd be more than happy to use his status as a doctor and fairly wealthy to help the party financially.

I didn't look at the books, and would be more than happy to dig through them and find everything, but this should give you a rough idea of what I'm planning on buying.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 19, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »
Well, as a questionable man of the law who is definitely not an axe murderer, I need a nice durable trenchcoat to deal with the sprays of blood from the axe murders I haven't been doing.  Also, probably attacks and stuff since I'm going more martial minded than previously.  He's a fighter.

He has his favorite axe, which is really for utility and not secret axe murders.

And a gun.  Ideally I was looking for a longish-range shotgun, but all of those seem to be two-handed and up.  Fair enough.  So it's currently a Colt Python, though any sufficiently big gun will do.  The idea is getting off a single shot pre-melee, so when they close in (or I close in) they're nice and softened up for some not axe murder, so big damage, bad reload is fine since I only expect to get off one shot, and one handed because I'll start with sword and gun held.

Beyond that, incidental items for a future sheriff.  Manacles probably with key.  Utilitarian rope and chain.  Maybe a flask for the alcohol I'll need doing investigating all the axe murders.  That kind of stuff.

You want a trenchcoat or buff coat? Snaplock Pistol or Blunderbuss Pistol?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 19, 2016, 09:30:36 PM »
Doctor's bag(item that gives bonuses to treat injury and surgery), appropriate clothing, leather rain cloak/duster, melee weapon (likely a spear or staff), back up melee weapon (dagger or knife), some kind of protection (armor or some such), assorted utility items, a handful of poisons and medications(alchemy items), a pharmaceutical lab (likely in his home). Definitely a well stocked bar with high end liquor especially whiskeys. He'll need a pipe and tobacco as well. Would probably own a doctors bugnight and horses as well. I'd be more than happy to use his status as a doctor and fairly wealthy to help the party financially.

I didn't look at the books, and would be more than happy to dig through them and find everything, but this should give you a rough idea of what I'm planning on buying.

armor in this age is limited to leather, breastplate or 3/4 plate assuming you're a wealthy european family and inherited some.  There are also buff coats.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #684 on: June 19, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »

You want a trenchcoat or buff coat? Snaplock Pistol or Blunderbuss Pistol?

I don't know the difference between the two, but I will prefer heavier over lighter, and stronger over weaker* so it sounds like trenchcoat and blunderbusss.

*That said, range is important.  If it has a range increment of +40 ft, this is ideal.  Likewise if it's super short like 10 ft, that is less ideal and I'd go for the other one.
Mudada.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 19, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »
Buff coats are basically leather shirts(some are sleeveless, most are not) that come down like a shirt over the upper leg to provide protection. Usually worn by huntsmen and cavalry for protection as plate is both heavy and costly. Although nothing reliably stopped firearms from their intriduction until modern bullet (resistant) vests came into use.

Without looking at stats, I would guess trenchcoat< buff coat<leather armor< partial plate< full plate.
Although partial plate and heavier would likely cause a lot of issues both with heat and weight as well as raising suspicion among anyone we run into.

I can't ever keepi time lines straight, weapons and armor are a hobby of mine. To date, I've built two sets of leather armor and a large number of weapons aside from fire arms.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 19, 2016, 10:40:39 PM »
sol: snaplock pistol has a 10' incremen and does 2d4

blunderbuss pistol has a 5' increment and does 2d8

duelling pistol does 2d6 an has 20' increment

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 19, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »
I want some form of leather armor. While not as styled as the buff coat, my character would commission a set of leather armor as soon as he realized he was going to have to fight something man was not supposed to know about.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
Buff coats are basically leather shirts(some are sleeveless, most are not) that come down like a shirt over the upper leg to provide protection. Usually worn by huntsmen and cavalry for protection as plate is both heavy and costly. Although nothing reliably stopped firearms from their intriduction until modern bullet (resistant) vests came into use.

Without looking at stats, I would guess trenchcoat< buff coat<leather armor< partial plate< full plate.
Although partial plate and heavier would likely cause a lot of issues both with heat and weight as well as raising suspicion among anyone we run into.

I can't ever keepi time lines straight, weapons and armor are a hobby of mine. To date, I've built two sets of leather armor and a large number of weapons aside from fire arms.

If you're wearing a breastplate people would likely think you're a cavalryman, they kept armor longer than others,

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #689 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:43 PM »
Is it true about buff coat being heavier than trench?  Buff it is.

And dang, those ranges... Dueling Pistol it is.
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 19, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »
yeah the best rifle range is 40'

old guns suck

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 20, 2016, 06:43:15 AM »
just gimme a list of what you guys want and we'll come to a consensus, I hate the wealth system too.
Have you given any further thought as to a pistol I could have that reloads as a full-round action (or less)? What would the purchase DC be?

Other than that, I can't think of much else I'd want other than fairly mundane things. Perhaps
  • A magnifying glass.
  • Writing supplies (particularly a portable journal and something to write with).
  • Whatever might be needed for spellcasting.

Edit: When learning a spell, it costs two ranks, and you can buy more ranks on a one-per-one basis with skill points. How many ranks do you gain for the first two points spent?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:48:06 AM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 20, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
It costs 2 points to buy a spell, which means you have 2 ranks in that spell.  When you buy enough ranks to get up to the next level you get teh additional benefits.

DC20 for the pistol unless you've made it yourself

will hopefully get more spells done tonight

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »
DC20 for the pistol unless you've made it yourself
To make it myself, I need to be a level two Natural Philosopher, right? It seems I need to either purchase it or wait...
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 21, 2016, 02:11:14 AM »
No you just need craft mechanical really.  Military scientist allows for significant advancements (i.e. inventing the steam engine 20 years early), or allows you to reverse engineer current tech/military secrets you have no access to (cannons or mines if you have none, but do have the materials and tools, ferguson rifles if you aren't british etc).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:15:10 AM by bhu »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 21, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
No you just need craft mechanical really.  Military scientist allows for significant advancements (i.e. inventing the steam engine 20 years early), or allows you to reverse engineer current tech/military secrets you have no access to (cannons or mines if you have none, but do have the materials and tools, ferguson rifles if you aren't british etc).
Do you know what the purchase and Craft DCs would be? The closest I can find is the 9mm auto-loader in the examples under Craft

I'm not sure how to retroactively handle crafts during char-gen. I guess I make the purchase DC for the raw materials and the Craft check to see if I succeed, and if not, they're wasted? That'd be easy enough to handle. I just need to know the two DCs.

Edit: Looking at it, the purchase DC for the materials or the pistol are both in the +1-10 range, so I might as well buy it. What type of pistol am I getting? Do you have the stats for it?

I'm going to start purchasing gear. About all that's left is putting ranks in spells and working up a back story. I know you're busily working on spells, currently.

Do you have purchase DCs for things like a magnifying glass (hopefully granting +2 to Search), tools for using Craft (Mechanical), and a lab for using Craft (Chemical)?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:23:54 AM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 21, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
I'll add them tonight in the info thread.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 22, 2016, 12:22:40 AM »
DC's added to the campaign info thread.   Keep in mid as the Sheriff and his crew you will all be granted some sort of generic firearm if you can't buy one.  Being gummint sponsored and all you will also get some aid (plus what you can confiscate)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 22, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »
Do you have stats for the pistol I have? I guess damage and range are the most important.

Would we have our own place to stay? I'd want a spot for my shop to work, if possible.

When you get a chance, could you fill out the changes at specific ranks for Glamer and Enthrall? I'll likely take Enthrall, but I'm curious to see what they do, when.

When casting Banish, and the creature appears before fading out over 3d10 rounds, can it attack us at that point? I was looking at Exile to contain it (if needed), but that makes a rather large area.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 22, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »
I'm hoping to fix spells tonight

Does your research indicate that the gun you looked at would vary in stats from a common pistol such as damage range etc."

Banish: If you step outside the circle during that time, the spell ends and teh would be banished critter is now at your location (i.e. bad).  It can't do anything, but minions might be able to.