Author Topic: Luc Couteau  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Luc Couteau
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
Is it possible to change one's resonance?  I know that with a high enough Life I can adjust my own pattern permanently but I'm still learning what all that means.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »
Yes, i think it's possible. With high enough entropy, i know i can change a person's fate on a permanent basis, fueling it with enough quintessence.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »
It's possible to gain resonance, e.g. to have both static and dynamic, at different amounts (or even all three). But resonance is neither a good nor a bad thing. They can help you with certain effects, but they will make some effects easier to target you or they will make certain effects more difficult to make them happen.

Resonance is not something that you can select in an optimization sense - it's more of a fluff thing. It's a way to describe your personality.

You usually gain resonance if you make something really really bad (such as botch a powerful magical effect), prolonged exposure to powerful effects/artifacts/etc and if you "cast" effects that fit thematically in a specific resonance (e.g. if I'm casting scanning effects constantly for three years, without casting anything else, I might get some static resonance).

The maximum arete you can have is 3. I'm sorry, but 3->4 is a huge power up, as spheres grow exponentially. You can't have Life 4.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Well that means I can't shapeshift.  I'm honestly not sure what I want to do with my character then...

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
Well that means I can't shapeshift.  I'm honestly not sure what I want to do with my character then...

Why do you consider shapeshifting so important?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »

Honestly?  Because it's the only thing that looks cool to me.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

Honestly?  Because it's the only thing that looks cool to me.

Do you have to change your shape completely? With life 3 you can do alternations/enhancements to your own body. And "transformations" "such as changing your hair color, height, etc.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »
How much paradox will that kind of thing net me?

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to properly make my character and I'm contemplating dropping out.  Not because I can't do Life 4, I was contemplating before that.

I'm just having a hard time with the lack of structure inherent in the Mage system.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
You can change your attributes like STR and such which gain no paradox unless you take it to on astonishing level. Changing enough features to confuse people will not gain paradox example you can make you lips more flush or pale. Rings under your eyes. Nose slightly change shape. Also you can have Gills or Raptor claws but complete shape change is just higher up. oh but gills are paradox. meaning with witnesses it's 4 without is 3.  It could be 4 points of bashing damage which can really be lame because you can no longer run and you have a -2 dice to all dice pool. takes 4hrs of chilling to heal up.