Author Topic: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat  (Read 25537 times)

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
[OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
Every game needs an OOC discussion. Fire away!

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Indeed it does!

Some game stuff:

For all traditions the experience cost for spheres is new rating x 5 for their speciality sphere and new rating x 7 for the rest.
You can have a non-speciality sphere at a higher rating (provided you have the arete) than your speciality sphere (this is because some characters might want to get matter or correspondence while Virtual Adepts and Sons of Ether are not valid options).
Hollow Ones experience costs for spheres is new rating x 6. Orphans choose a speciality sphere normally.

Banned Merits/Flaws:

Degeneration
Diminished Attribute
Mayfly Curse
Sleepwalker
Conditional Magic
Sphere Natural/Inept
Geasa

Restricted Merits/Flaws:
(i.e. you need to tell me why you need it and provide a damn good explanation)

Child
Ghoul
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
Came into the sub-forum. Saw this thread title on top.

LOL'd
 :lmao
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
I'm waffling on this game, my goodness this system is complicated.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
Same, I have a basic idea of a character and a solid idea for a Paradigm but have no idea whether its usable and might need a bit of help with actually building it. 

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »
It's ok guys. You don't have to create anything fancy. Just go with a "magic style" you like - if you like d&d, the best option would be an Order of Hermes, Verbena or Dreamspeaker character, because they do magic in a more traditional way.

I don't think it's actually complicated, it's just ... different. Compared to, say, d&d 3.5e, character generation is much simpler and faster.

Don't try to optimize. There's no "best" paradigm that will enable you to do-it-all. There is no "right" sphere combination that will be awesome and kickass. Just go with whatever you like.

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:52:13 AM »
So if I understand correctly: paradigm in M:tA is the mage's understanding of the Tellurium which dictates in which way he can affect the Tapestry in order to cast magic.

I found an example somewhere of a Verbana being unable to turn a werewolf into a garden gnome, because it doesn't fit her paradigm. Now, this is a pretty vulgar magical effect, but I can find no clear explanation of where it clashes with the Verbana philosophy.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:22 AM »
So if I understand correctly: paradigm in M:tA is the mage's understanding of the Tellurium which dictates in which way he can affect the Tapestry in order to cast magic.

I found an example somewhere of a Verbana being unable to turn a werewolf into a garden gnome, because it doesn't fit her paradigm. Now, this is a pretty vulgar magical effect, but I can find no clear explanation of where it clashes with the Verbana philosophy.

First of all: the Paradigm is not a static thing. It can change (for instance if you gain arete, your paradigm will slightly change to show that your character's understanding towards the world has changed).

Verbena have a weird and very naturalistic view (all-in-one) of deities (there is but one God and that's Nature). Obviously, a Verbena using magic to transform something into a garden gnome is but a travesty of the Verbena beliefs; at the very least the garden gnome is just an artificial object with no real connection to Nature, or, if you prefer, the garden gnome's connection to Nature is diminished compared to another object or matter, such as mud or rock (strongly 'natural' from the Verbena PoV).

It doesn't matter whether the effect is coincidental or vulgar - a Verbena (unless he has a weird tech-Naturalistic paradigm "after all everything is natural" kind of thing) would not be able, for instance, use a computer screen as a reflective surface for scrying, as a mage with a more technological-inclined paradigm wouldn't use pools of clear water or blood.

So, it would be fine for a verbena transforming that werewolf into mud, rock or blood, but not a garden gnome or a walkie-talkie :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:20:07 AM by Dictum Mortuum »

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:54 AM »
Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I'll come up with some half-assed philosophy and count on you to guide me towards some acceptable paradigm :P

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:35 AM »
By the way, would you be okay with my character starting either in jail or the insane asylum?

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »
By the way, would you be okay with my character starting either in jail or the insane asylum?

Sure, no problem.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
I was wondering how Dark are we going? I have a few character concepts one of a Euth that is obsessed with the Good Death. She frets over the Wheel almost serial killer maliciously. She is a killer herself with an unusual methodology.   

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
I was wondering how Dark are we going? I have a few character concepts one of a Euth that is obsessed with the Good Death. She frets over the Wheel almost serial killer maliciously. She is a killer herself with an unusual methodology.   

Are you going to participate?

Your concept, while intriguing, is a little "too much". I've no problem letting you play it for now, but if you're just looking for a thoughtless bloodbath, better find something else.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
I decided to change the concept a bit. I'm looking to play something I have not. I was thinking a Hollow One and of course you may be thinking a anti social character, (I hate those) that has a problem with groups. I was thinking that she is a Hollow One through circumstance finding herself alone due to character flaws. But she has an extreme fear of being alone (people to care about and to care about her) Flaw level phobia. I find that Hollow Ones paradigm insist on being alone and My paradigm even though I am hollow would be strength through independent and unique arts. But that shouldn't always mean alone.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
@All: At the beginning of the story we'll start in a small town near Bordeaux. If you have family/friends/nodes/houses/etc in your background, please rellocate them (if you don't care about their location of course).

I decided to change the concept a bit. I'm looking to play something I have not. I was thinking a Hollow One and of course you may be thinking a anti social character, (I hate those) that has a problem with groups. I was thinking that she is a Hollow One through circumstance finding herself alone due to character flaws. But she has an extreme fear of being alone (people to care about and to care about her) Flaw level phobia. I find that Hollow Ones paradigm insist on being alone and My paradigm even though I am hollow would be strength through independent and unique arts. But that shouldn't always mean alone.

I read your background. Please post info on your paradigm and your sheet!

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »
I posted info about my Node in my character's post.... When are we getting started? Also... Does anyone have suggestions for a good use of my spheres out of combat that i have not yet suggested? Lol, i can only seem to think in terms of combat...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 11:07:16 AM »
@ Dictum Would you allow me to play a Chorister. I'm trying to firgure out how that would play into my character any suggestions.   

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »
Everybody can feel free to look over my sheet and over suggestions as to how to make it better/ point out things that look like they would fit well that I missed.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
Everybody can feel free to look over my sheet and over suggestions as to how to make it better/ point out things that look like they would fit well that I missed.

I say the same thing about my character sheet... Especially since i'm way more accustumed to a more hack n' slash type of game, and Dictum already said i'm way too focused on combat, so any suggestions on what to improve in that regard...

(Although my character is *really* good in discerning lies, investigating stuff and discovering secrets)
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
So, everyone seems to have their sheets mostly finished... Do we have a probable starting date?