Author Topic: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat  (Read 25515 times)

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
@Dictum you still haven't replied regarding the rules for my Wonder... I'm kinda lost here

To be perfectly honest, I'm completely lost with high-level wonders, too. What would you like your sword to have?

Mine's not a sword, but a pendant... And i think i already posted some ideas for it in my character thread... I'll go there and post it here.

EDIT: Reposting from Character Thread

I also want to talk about my Wonder. It's going to be my Unique Focus, reflecting how my character believes that Necklace is a creation of Fortuna Primigenia, the most powerful manifestation of Fortuna, which helps him establish that connection with the Threads of Fate that he believes is how he can influence the world.

I was thinking the Necklace could cast off strong Entropic energies which help my Character influence the Tellurian when using Entropy, reducing the number of successes needed to achieve a determinate effect and/or reducing the difficulty of achieving said effect. I also envision the Necklace as functioning as some sort of "Luck Battery", as per his belief that the necklace is his "Lucky Charm".

Maybe he can infuse the Necklace with Quintessence to keep it "charged" with luck, that he can then burn off to help him succeed in difficult tasks or dire live-or-die situations? Or maybe, he can manipulate the threads of Fate, siphoning luck out of others, which he then stores into the necklace, pulling out of that pool of stored Luck when he needs it bad. I think that second option would fit quite well with the characters concept as a "Luck Mage".

Another question: Since my charater is already quite high on Prime, and the rules say the creation of minor trinkets with Prime 3 is possible, can my character create minor trinkets with his current spheres, or is the creation of artifacts & trinkets only possible with Matter as a sphere?

Unique foci give a -1 difficulty, but you can only use them as a focus; if you lose them, you're in trouble.

How much wonder rating do you have? You could use it as a quintessence battery if you wish so (rechargable using prime magic).

You can create minor trinkets, but the effects that they carry will depend on the spheres you possess. I don't know much on wonders - we're not using them a lot (aside from minor trinkets and powerful artifacts mcguffins) because we dislike the "D&D" feeling they have.

I have 3 wonder rating. Unique Foci is harsh... Maybe it can give a -1 in spite of not being a unique focus? Like -1 difficulty for entropy due to it being a specialty item?

Fair enough. You can have a quintessence pool of 2 that you can spend on entropy effects, plus the -1 difficulty to entropy effects, but you'll have to use the wonder in addition to any relevant foci.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Note to self for future reference: If I want life to kick my ass thoroughly and repetitively, try to join a PbP game. Doesn't fail to trigger.

/sigh.

Will try to update with stats as quickly as possible.

Two questions @DM though:
A) How's my Background and Paradigm?
B) You've mentioned the 7 point flaw limit, but the book also says "or any two, even if more than 7 points". What is your stance on this?

Also, so everybody realizes, I do have a phylactery. If Dictum is anything like every other ST/DM I've ever played with, expect it to be stolen in 2d10 "sessions".

Because the purpose of that flaw (in general, and for me) is seriously just for backstory and fun adventures wherein you've been rendered mundane.  :)

A) I really don't know yet. Your background is fine, but, at least to me, your paradigm is convoluted. We'll how it will work out in-game.

B) I'd prefer if you didn't go over 22 freebies.

Offline TheRealTsu

• Lurker
  • I'm the real Tsu! '^'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
I am almost finished with my character profile as I type this up. However, I am replying to give information of sorts for how we can play this Mage game. If you guys rather not change things right on the fly to avoid complications, that's no problem for me at all! But I just wanted to tell you guys how I did it with my friend Game Master back in the day. Mind you that our number was small eventually boiling down to only us two playing, but still.
We used Skype to do our Mage gaming as it was faster than typing and you had to react faster in the more typical D&D fashion. He also used an online dice generator to roll his dice, and for more complex dice rolls he used a mIRC channel for that (roll so many dice at whatever difficulty). He would then make a record of any progression in relation to the story and have events planned for the next time we would roleplay again. We could use Skype and have an entire group chat for our roleplaying.

The only problem I see with this is different time zones. That might be a bit of a hurdle to get over unfortunately. But just thought I would bring out this information so you guys would know how I used to do it with a friend of mine :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:49:12 PM by TheRealTsu »

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
Unfortunately, that's not possible for me. I'm still in the army and not only staying until late is out of the question, my internet time is fairly limited. That's one of the main reasons I delay starting the game, too - I had so much guard duty the last week :(

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:43 AM »
I took some days off :D
Expect updates later!

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 05:55:45 AM »
Same  :P

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
Shit! We've started already. I'm going to put up my character info asap.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:41 AM »
Note that until we finish the prelude, all players are free to change their character sheet (but I'd prefer if you stay with the same backstory). Post away :D!

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Is anyone here :P?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
I was just waiting for someone else to take the lead, I don't deal well with breaking the ice like that. Hopefully not everyone has the same issue.

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »
I have some trouble figuring out how I got from being imprisoned in an insane asylum for three years to some meeting in an old country house, though Correspondence might work here.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
I have some trouble figuring out how I got from being imprisoned in an insane asylum for three years to some meeting in an old country house, though Correspondence might work here.

You're not in the meeting! Only 5 of the 6 players are there.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

You're not in the meeting! Only 5 of the 6 players are there.

Which ones? All but Pip (Igon) then?

I was just waiting for someone else to take the lead, I don't deal well with breaking the ice like that. Hopefully not everyone has the same issue.

Actually, yes. Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, just noticed that I didn't put my sheet up yet. I made it as a .img from the PDF, but I had meant to fill out the sheet here a week and a half ago. I guess I didn't.

Will do ASAP (though not in the next 16 hours, need to nap before work). Should be quick, since it's already done  :blush.

I really don't know yet. Your background is fine, but, at least to me, your paradigm is convoluted. We'll how it will work out in-game.
Think of it this way, I have all of the same rules as being hermetic, just with different fluff, and only slightly different limitations.

As an example: most Hermetics can "enchant" a "wand" to release a "fireball spell", basically using Forces to evoke a ball of fire, but putting it on a delay that is contingent upon the focus being at hand at a later time to release it then (this is all laid out in the Trad book); I would be able to do the same, but I would have to use an object that already caused fire (such as a Molotov) to do so, and I would be "evoking the objects idealized purpose" instead of "arranging materials to alter the universe" like most Hermetics (although I could not do so yet anyway, since that requires higher Forces than I have).

Also, even if I ever learned Correspondence (no plans to, but hey, if), I would not be able to aport or teleport. It couldn't be rationalized with my paradigm, despite the fact that it was Hermetics that first developed that use for Corr.

Am I making any sense?

Otherwise, I'd be happy to clarify anything that you don't understand.

But, I think most of the paradigms published require a few moments to understand too. And mine is based on a part of philosophy that is repeatedly misunderstood.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »
How are we rolling dice? I used the /roll language. Hope that isn't a problem.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »
It's says my Die Roll was Tampered TAMPERED!! :shakefist How did I tamper it. I barely knew how it worked.  :pout

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
It does that if you edit the post, even if you don't touch the roll itself.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:24 AM »
@arias: All but pip, yes. Ah, since you mentioned the Hermetics I kinda get it now.
@Popedanei: That's something I didn't thought through :P If there are important rolls we might think of something. By the way, the effect you're trying to cast, as stated, is not going to do anything; that's because you need to explain what you're trying to based on your paradigm - not what other players perceive you to be doing (in this case, watching through the lens). It's kinda of an esoteric thing.
@brujon: To read people's faces you're rolling perception + subterfuge (I guess :P) and to discern auras that's perception + awareness (I'm guessing you want to use a non-magical way - if you're using a spell you're rolling arete).

Let me investigate the rolling thingy and I'll come back at you!

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »
How this will relate to my paradigm. Is similar to the choristers. But instead of hearing the song. I see the colors and draw inspiration from it to perform magic.   

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
How this will relate to my paradigm. Is similar to the choristers. But instead of hearing the song. I see the colors and draw inspiration from it to perform magic.

All right then! What you're describing is the way you're using your foci to cast your spell. This is fine, but in addition you need to describe how does your character believes that this magic happens. Of course, for a useful effect like sense quintessence or whatever you will use a buttload of times, I don't want you to copy-paste it in every post you're using it (unless you want to edit small details), but you need to do it at least once.

For instance - sense quintessence:

Niyati pulls out a lens out of her wallet and looks through - she concentrates only for a split second and then she is able to see the world clearly: the items around her begin to lose their well-defined shape and everything is filled with color; she concentrates even further and now she is able to identify the special color that flows around and mixes with everything.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
Understand all. Thanks :) . I guess I wasn't sure what you wanted.