Author Topic: Ritual Chandler [PrC]  (Read 3300 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Ritual Chandler [PrC]
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
A prc to make Ritual Incenses super awesome.

Ritual Chandler

A ritual chandler is a student of the art of crafting and using Ritual Incense, and learns how to make Ritual Candles, special incenses with greatly-enhanced properties and uses.

BECOMING A RITUAL CHANDLER
Any character who can craft ritual incenses can become a ritual chandler.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
   Feats: Craft Ritual Incense.
   Rituals: Able to cast Least rituals, knowledge of at least one Circle or Zone ritual.

Class Skills
 The Ritual Chandler's class skills are Concentration, Decipher Script, Craft, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.
Skills Points at Each  Level : 2 + Int

Table: The Ritual ChandlerHD: d6

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+1
+2
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7

Special
Bonus metaritual feat, ritual candle (source)
Charge incense
Power incense
Ritual candle (reuse)
Ritual casting (lesser), harvest candle
Split candle
Ritual candle (delay)
Metaritual incense
Ritual casting (greater)
Ritual candle (permanent)

Craft
Reserve

Ritual
Casting
+1 level of existing class

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A ritual chandler gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Ritual casting: At each level, you gain an increase in caster level, number of simultaneous charged rituals, and rituals known as if you gained a level in a ritual casting class you had levels in before entering this prestige class.  You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, such as access to new ritual strengths or other class features.  If you have levels in more than one ritual-casting class, you must choose which class to apply these levels to for the increases described above.
   At 5th level, you gain access to lesser rituals, and at 9th level you gain access to greater rituals, if you did not already; this access functions exactly as if you had gained the ability from your original ritual casting class, including which class rituals you learn.

Craft reserve: Crafting a ritual incense requires expenditure of time, wealth, and XP just like crafting any other magic item.  However, you gain a craft reserve (as shown on the table above) which can be used to cover the XP cost of crafting ritual incenses and candles (see below).  Each time you gain a new level, you receive a new craft reserve; leftover points from the previous level do not carry over.  If the points are not spent, they are lost.  You can also use your craft reserve to supplement the XP cost of a ritual incense or candle you are crafting, taking a portion of the cost from your craft reserve and a portion from your own XP.

Bonus metaritual feat: At 1st level, you gain a bonus metaritual feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Ritual candle: Upon entering this class, you learn to make Ritual Candles, a special variation on ritual incense with enhanced properties.  A ritual candle is essentially a ritual incense which is already partially cast, giving the user more versatility in how it is used.  Only those rituals which affect an area can be made into ritual candles.  Crafting a ritual candle is just like crafting any other magical item, but they can only be crafted by ritual chandlers.  The market price for a ritual candle is 75gp per caster level, multiplied by an amount based on the strength of the ritual as shown in the table for Ritual Incense; it is three times the cost of a stick of Ritual Incense crafted with the same ritual. 
   However, unlike a ritual incense, a ritual candle requires the crafter to partially cast the ritual contained within.  The crafting process has the same requirements as casting the given ritual in addition to the normal requirements for crafting an item, and enough of the crafter's blood to deal damage equal to the ritual's save DC.  The resulting ritual also depends on the abilities of the crafter (in terms of duration, save DC, etc.), and not the creature that uses the candle.  The duration of the ritual stored in a ritual candle is one round per caster level.
   While using a ritual incense charges the ritual for the user (to be discharged as normal at a later point), a ritual candle immediately generates the effect of the enclosed ritual when it is used.  The creature that uses the candle gains any special benefits of the ritual as normal, but the effect of the ritual is always centered on the candle's square and not the creature that used it.  This allows the user to light the candle and then depart, leaving the effect of the ritual intact.  Using a ritual candle is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
   Beginning at 4th level, you can create ritual candles which are reusable.  You can activate such a candle by spending a standard action as normal, and then deactivate it with another standard action.  You may do this as many times as you like until the total amount of time that the candle has been active is equal to the duration of the stored ritual.  For example, a ritual candle with a caster level of 20 could be used 20 times in one-round increments before the candle was used up.
   At 7th level, you learn how to build a delay into the activation of a ritual candle.  Such a candle, when activated, takes effect a number of rounds later of your choice, up to twice your Ritual Chandler level.  For example, a 7th-level Ritual Chandler could create a delay of anywhere from 0 to 14 rounds (a candle with a 0-round delay takes effect immediately).
   Once you reach 10th level, you can create a permanent candle.  Such a candle costs four times as much as a normal ritual candle, and you may only have one such candle at a time (you can destroy a permanent candle using the Harvest Candle ability, described below).  A permanent candle can be reused (as the 4th-level ability) any number of times, for any number of rounds.  Only you may activate or deactivate a permanent candle.

Charge incense (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, whenever you use a ritual incense, you may choose to use your caster level for rituals instead of the caster level of the incense.  You may use this ability once per day per class level. 

Power incense (Su): Once you reach 3rd level, whenever you use a ritual incense, you may choose to use your save DC for the given ritual instead of the normal save DC of the incense.  You may use this ability once per day per class level.

Harvest candle (Su): At 5th level, you gain the ability to recover the ritual magic which remains in reusable ritual candles.  This ability works as an artificer's Retain Essence class feature, except that you recover an amount of the total xp equal to the fraction of duration remaining in the candle.  A permanent candle counts as having all of its duration remaining at all times.

Split candle: Beginning at 6th level, while crafting a reusable candle, you can divide it up into two or more segments, each with a portion of the full duration of the candle.  Each segment acts as a normal reusable candle with the given duration, chosen at crafting time.  For example, a ritual chandler crafting a reusable candle with a caster level of 10 could divide those 10 rounds up however he chose among the segments.  Each segment can be activated individually at any time as normal, and the segments need not be connected to each other.  Any delay built into the activation applies to each segments.

Metaritual incense At 8th level, you gain the ability to apply metaritual feats you know to ritual incenses.  Whenever you activate a ritual incense, you may pay 5xp times the number of extra charges a metaritual feat would require to apply that metaritual feat to the ritual contained in the incense.  The xp may be paid from your Craft Reserve or your character XP pool as normal.

PLAYING A RITUAL CHANDLER
 Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
 Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
 Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

RITUAL CHANDLERS IN THE WORLD
"A quote of somebody else talking about your class!"
-name of quote originator
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
 This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

RITUAL CHANDLERS IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed   ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

EPIC RITUAL CHANDLER

Hit Die: dx
Skills Points at Each  Level : x + int
Class Ability
Class Ability.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Class Name gains a Bonus Feat every x levels higher than 10th
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:41:23 PM by FireInTheSky »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Prestige Class: Ritual Chandler
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
Reserved just in case.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:27:46 AM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
OK, this is done.  How bad is it?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »
It lives or dies on how good the incense/candles are which makes it at the moment a sort of crappy artificer...

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
It lives or dies on how good the incense/candles are which makes it at the moment a sort of crappy artificer...

Well, I mean, it still has all the ritual casting...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
This looks pretty sweet.  And that's all I'll say for now.  :smirk

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
This looks pretty sweet.  And that's all I'll say for now.  :smirk

As the only person in existence (as far as I know) who's played with Ritual Incenses & Candles (effectively), would you like to comment as to littha's concerns?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
As the only person in existence (as far as I know) who's played with Ritual Incenses & Candles (effectively), would you like to comment as to littha's concerns?

Well, I think they can be used pretty effectively if you get creative.  :plotting  What I haven't really done is much "in-game" crafting, from any standpoint (artificer, old bloodfire seeker, whatever), so I don't know how well that tactic works in general game terms.

Also, why the limit on permanent candles?  Is that because you could theoretically churn out a bunch of them at 15th level?  Again, I don't really know how in-game crafting works.  If you can't pump them out at a ridiculous speed, then I'm not so sure it's broken.

Also also, if spell-rituals could be used on candles - even if it was only for spell rituals with a fixed range (radius/emanation/whatever (i think you know the specific one I'm talking about)) - they would be a little more versatile.

EDIT:  Also also also, being able to do Metaritual Candles would be pretty freakin' awesome (Chaotic Ritual anyone?!?)  Maybe at 10th level, you could make a Metaritual Candle OR a Permanent Candle, but not a Metaritual Permanent Candle?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:36:18 PM by FireInTheSky »