Author Topic: Min/Max it! Posting Guidelines  (Read 17540 times)

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
Min/Max it! Posting Guidelines
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »

Copied from BG forum by the same name.

1) Be specific - the more details about your character and the game, the better.

2) There *will be* many useful threads out there which may already have the answers you want. Don't forget to try, either - it really isn't that hard. Remember - whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right.

3) Say things like "please" and "thank you". Be good to your fellow Humanoids,

Welcome to the Min/Max it! boards, a land of Kobold overgods, infinite possibilities, nasty tricks, useful collections, but most of all, incredible collective skill at making solid D&D characters. It's probably all a bit confusing at first, but pay close attention to the basics, and soon you'll be on your way to making your own top-notch characters, combinations, and perhaps helping others out with the same.

Whenever you want ask for help on the Min/Max it! boards, remember these three things:

share with us, put in an effort, and follow through.

1) Share with us
In order to help you make a cool character, we have to know what you know about the character and the game it will be in. Here are some things to consider:   

What D&D books you can use?
    What type of character you want it to be?
    What levels will this character be played at?
    Any house rules or particular details about your DM or the other characters in the game?
    What specifically you are looking for help with?

This list is far from comprehensive, so the more specific details you can provide, the better.

2) put in an effort
This means being polite, using good grammar and punctuation. (We know not everyone is a native English speaker, and that's OK - but its a language that most people know). Check to see if what you want is already out there on the CO Boards - there's a very good chance you're not the only one with that idea or question. 3 pages is about 12 hours worth of posts. Use these valuable resources to answer your questions before starting a new thread:

Handy Links: Map to the world of Minmaxing
    Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
    X Stat to Y Bonus

If you can't find what you're looking for after you've been through these great references, go ahead and post a new thread.

Keep in mind that the best form of help is self-help. Try your hand at the build - you might be surprised at what you do know, and you will receive more focused advice for your character. If you do the work, you'll reap the rewards!

3) follow through
This does not mean bumping the thread every 20 minutes. It means checking in and commenting on people's suggestions, asking for clarification about things you don't understand, and generally guiding the discussion towards what you want. If the creator of a thread sticks around to follow through, you're much more likely to get what you want out of the Min/Max it! boards. Don't be discouraged if your post doesn't get any hits immediately - perhaps the one who will help you lives on the other side of the planet and is just waking up. And don't forget to thank the people who help out with suggestions, links, and advice. They're kind-hearted volunteers and fellow D&D players/DMs, not Wizards of the Coast employees.

Sample Posts:

Quote from: The Bad Example
hey yall i need ideas for a new charecter i need stats class and race kool thx well the background is a charecter from a shady past a loner perhaps sum1 who has a secret and was left by his/her family as a baby and collected by the elves as one of there own and he/she was given a bow for his/her 16th birthday and was sent to find her/his family but i dont like wizards or clerics and preferably not an elf thx there r lots of ****in monsters draw stats using the method u find best

Quote from: The Good Example
Hi Guys,

I'm starting a new game in a few weeks and I'm having trouble coming up with a character. The last game I played in I fell behind the rest of the party pretty badly in combat situations and it ruined a lot of the fun for me, and one of my fellow gamers recommended I stop by here for some help before the next game. I want to play a wizard (or any arcane caster really) with an emphasis on enchantment and manipulation, but I haven't found help for that kind of mage in the handbooks on this board yet.

The game is 32 point buy, starting at level 4, in a homebrew setting. The DM allows material from the Core books, the Complete series, the Races of X series, the Spell Compendium, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook. He specifically does not allow online sources such as web enhancements for these books. The party will be five members strong including my character, and two of them have already decided on their characters (a rogue and a druid, I don't know specifics beyond this).

As I said I'm looking for a charms and compulsions type of mage (thematically, the Mindbender prestige class from Complete Arcane interests me), and while I know I could have a lot of fun with that outside of battle, I don't want to feel like dead weight when a fight starts.

The DM has told us the scope of the campaign should reach around level 15 by the end and he doesn't have any major houserules that I am aware of.

I'm really at a loss for what feats to take, what race to play, and any prestige classes I should be aiming for, and how to assign my ability scores (I haven't made a point buy character before). I know I'd like to start as a Wizard.

Thanks in advance for all your help  Smile

The difference is clear. The bad example is vague, demanding, difficult to understand, and shows so little effort it's rude.

The good example shares meaningful information about the character, the game, and what is wanted, puts in an effort to be clear and show that the poster has already looked into the essential resources, and even starts to follow through by thanking people in advance.