Author Topic: Neuromancer [prc] (Magipunk)  (Read 6209 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Neuromancer [prc] (Magipunk)
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
With help from Jackinthegreen.

NEUROMANCER

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

"A year here and I still dream of cyberspace, hope fading nightly. All the speed I took, all the turns I've taken and the corners I've cut in Night City, and I still see the matrix in my sleep, bright lattices of logic unfolding across that colorless void..."
-From the journal of Gib Billson, Neuromancer

A Neuromancer plugs his mind into the DivNet much more fully than other DivHeads, taking advantage of his Mentalist training to affect his enemies and allies much more strongly.

BECOMING A NEUROMANCER
Neuromancers start out as DivHead/Mentalists.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Skills: Psi 6 ranks, Streetwise 6 ranks.
   Special: Hack and Share Overlay class features.
   Special: Hyperawareness, Similarization, and Resonance class feature.

Class Skills
 The Neuromancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Arcana (Int), Concentration (Wis), Engineering (Int), Negotiation (Cha), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Psi (Int), Scholarship (Int), and Streetwise (Int/Cha).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + Int

Table: The NeuromancerHD: d6

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+1
+2
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5

Fort
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7

Special
Hack, similarized hack
Share awareness
Share powers
Oracle resonance
Similarized spell
Mindspider
Mindweb
Download mind
Erase mind
Greater mindweb, upload mind
Manifesting
and
Spellcasting
+1 level each of existing manifesting and spellcasting class
+1 level existing manifesting class
+1 level each of existing spellcasting class

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A neuromancer gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level except 3rd, a neuromancer gains new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable, including spells automatically added to a spellcrystal at each level) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the neuromancer level.  She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a neuromancer, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Manifesting: At each level except 8th, a neuromancer gains additional power points per day and powers known, as well as an increase in effective manifester level, as if she had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class she belonged to before she added the neuromancer level.  She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as new class features).  This essentially means that she adds the level of neuromncer to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.

Hack: Neuromancer levels stack with DivHead levels for the purpose of determining a neuromancer's bonus on Hack checks, as well as the effects of her Hack ability.  For example, a Dodger 2/DivHead 3/Agent 5 could use any of the tactics, puissance, or foe abilities.

Similarized hack (Ex): A neuromancer can use her intuitive understanding of her target's mind to make Hacking the target significantly easier.  Whenever the neuromancer uses her Hack ability, she may expend her psionic focus to gain her Similarization bonus to the Hack check.  Her effective Mentalist level for determining the bonus granted by Similarization for this ability is equal to the sum of her Mentalist, DivHead, and Neuromancer levels.

Share awareness (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, any creatures sharing a neuromancer's virtual overlay gain the benefit of her Hyperawareness ability as long as she is psionically focused.

Share powers (Su): At 3rd level, a neuromancer can manifest powers with a range of touch through the overlay on any creature sharing her virtual overlay.

Oracle resonance (Su): Whenever a neuromancer of 4th level or higher casts a spell on a creature with which she has established resonance, the creature receives a -1 penalty on its save for each Resonance point it has.  In addition, whenever a creature fails a save against a spell cast by the neuromancer, that creature gains a Resonance point.

Similarized spell (Su): Upon reaching 5th level, a neuromancer may use her Similiarization ability with her spells (increasing caster level instead of manifester level, and bypassing immunity to mind-affecting effects as normal) in addition to her powers.  Her effective Mentalist level for determining the bonus granted by Similarization for this ability is equal to the sum of her DivHead, Mentalist, and Neuromancer levels.

Mindspider (Su): At 6th level, whenever a neuromancer uses an Oracle Spider (including her HackSpider, if applicable) against a single target, she may choose to affect the target with a power she knows instead of the normal effect of the Spider.  The neuromancer manifests the power normally when she activates the Spider (including paying the power point cost), except that the power only takes effect when the Spider would normally affect the target.  When using a Spider in this way, she may only spend a number of power points on a power up to a maximum of the caster level of the Spider.  For example, a neuromancer using an Alert Spider could spend a maximum of 1 power point on a power manifested using this ability.

Mindweb (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a neuromancer can draw upon the mental faculties of her allies to grant herself greater resources.  As a standard action, the neuromancer can expend her psionic focus to deal 1 point of Intelligence damage to all willing creatures sharing her virtual overlay (except herself); if she does so, she gains temporary power points equal to twice the total amount of Intelligence damage she dealt.  This damage is voluntary, and any damage which is reduced or prevented also reduces the number of power points the neuromancer receives.

Download mind (Su): A neuromancer of 8th level or higher can attempt to read and fully understand a mind with which she has established sufficient resonance.   Whenever a creature has at least 3 Resonance points acquired from the neuromancer's spells and powers, the neuromancer can expend her psionic focus and make a Hack check as a standard action to force the creature to make a Will save (DC equal to the result of the Hack check).  If the creature fails the Will save, the neuromancer removes all Resonance points from the subject and gains access to all the subject's memories and knowledge, as per the mind probe power; however, since the neuromancer has fully downloaded the target's mind, she may ask questions with no saving throw and no chance of the subject moving out of range.  The downloaded mind remains in the neuromancer's data banks until she chooses to forget it or uses this ability on another creature; only one mind may be downloaded at a time.  This ability is a mind-affecting effect, but a neuromancer may use her Similarization ability to bypass immunity to mind-affecting effects with this ability just as she could a power or spell.  However, the neuromancer may not use this ability on mindless creatures (including creatures affected by the Erase Mind ability; see below), as they have no knowledge or memories to download.

Erase mind (Su): Beginning at 9th level, a neuromancer can use the resonance she establishes with a target to wipe the target's mind completely clean temporarily.  Whenever a creature has at least 5 Resonance points acquired from the neuromancer's spells and powers, the neuromancer can expend her psionic focus and make a Hack check as a full-round action to force the creature to make a Will save (DC equal to the result of the Hack check).  If the target fails the save, it loses all of its Resonance points, and its Intelligence score is completely removed for a number of hours equal to the number of Resonance points it had.  The creature becomes mindless, which grants it immunity to mind-affecting effects and Intelligence damage if it didn't have such immunities already, and prevents it from using any skill points or feats.

A creature whose mind has been erased in this way immediately falls prone and takes no actions.  It will eat or drink if fed (if such sustenance is necessary), and will move if led with physical guidance, but it does not respond to other visual or auditory stimuli.  The subject remains in this state for the duration, unless a heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish spell, or the psychic chirurgery, bend reality, or reality revision power, is used to cancel the effect.  This ability is a mind-affecting effect, but a neuromancer may use her Similarization ability to bypass immunity to mind-affecting effects with this ability just as she could a power or spell.

Greater mindweb (Su): At 10th level, a neuromancer's ability to draw on her allies' mental faculties increases.  She may make a Concentration check to gain psionic focus as normal, but instead store it in the virtual overlay.  At any time when a creature sharing her overlay (including herself) needs to expend a psionic focus, that creature can expend the shared psionic focus instead.  In addition, as long as the shared focus has not been expended, all creatures sharing the overlay are treated as being psionically focused.

Upload mind (Su): Upon reaching 10th level, a neuromancer learns how to upload another mind in place of a mind which she has erased.  Whenever she uses her Erase Mind ability, once the subject's mind has been erased, she may spend 1 minute concentrating to replace the subject's original mind with another mind she has access to, either one she has downloaded with her Download Mind ability or her own, as per the mind switch psionic power, with no save and bypassing the subject's immunity to mind-affecting effects.  The upload lasts until the creature would have recovered its Intelligence score, at which point it receives a new Will save at the same DC as the original Erase Mind.  If the save is successful, the creature regains its own mind and Intelligence score; if the subject fails its save, the uploaded mind remains in place for 1 hour.  After each additional hour, the creature makes another Will save at the same DC, with a cumulative +2 bonus on successive saves.

PLAYING A NEUROMANCER
 Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
 Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
 Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

NEUROMANCER IN THE WORLD
"A quote of somebody else talking about your class!"
-name of quote originator
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
 This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

NEUROMANCER IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed   ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

EPIC NEUROMANCER

Hit Die: dx
Skills Points at Each  Level : x + int
Class Ability
Class Ability.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Class Name gains a Bonus Feat every x levels higher than 10th
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:40:57 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Neuromancer [prc] (Magipunk)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
Reserved, just in case.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
Done.  I'm afraid this is too powerful... but hot damn those abilities are cool.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »
The quote at the beginning is AWESOME!

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
The quote at the beginning is AWESOME!

Thanks!  I can't take credit, though... he to whom the quote is attributed should give you a hint.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Hack, Similarization, and Hyperawareness should be in the PrC requirements.

Shouldn't Similarized Spell include your Mentalist levels?

Many of the references to specific classes' spells and powers should be made more general to just, well, spells and powers.

How does a mind-erased creature act? Don't forget to mention the loss of feats and skill points, and immunity to Intelligence damage. Duration should be 1 hour per resonance point, not per Intelligence point, cause I have a hard time seeing this as more effective on stronger minds. How do you plan on having 2 psionic focuses to spend?

Greater Mindweb seems a bit... strong? Maybe a single psionic focus that can be shared and used by any creature in the web, rather than one for each.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
But you get them from the earlier levels of the classes which give you the requirements that are on there...?  I can add them, it just seems redundant.

Shouldn't Similarized Spell include your Mentalist levels?
Whoops!

Many of the references to specific classes' spells and powers should be made more general to just, well, spells and powers.
Can do.

How does a mind-erased creature act? Don't forget to mention the loss of feats and skill points, and immunity to Intelligence damage. Duration should be 1 hour per resonance point, not per Intelligence point, cause I have a hard time seeing this as more effective on stronger minds. How do you plan on having 2 psionic focuses to spend?
Well, it acts like a mindless creature...  :hide

I'll make the other changes, but I wasn't sure how to describe the mindlessness.  Oozes are mindless and vermin are mindless, but they act in very different ways... any suggestions?

Greater Mindweb seems a bit... strong? Maybe a single psionic focus that can be shared and used by any creature in the web, rather than one for each.
Yeah, that works I suppose.  Turn the mindweb into a psicrystal, essentially.

EDIT: Changes made.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:57:51 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
I'd probably say a mindless creature acts according to its base instincts, unless it's programmed like a golem or something.

While we're on the subject of reprogramming minds though, it might be interesting to have rules for finding out information on the hacker.  Making an opposed Hack check against the hack that started Erase Mind would probably be one way of doing it.  Divinations with a caster level check against the hack check should also work (as well as psionic equivalents.)  Do Medics have a way of detecting magical/psionic effects like that?

A feat idea I have for this might be to let the personal sensor count as a psicrystal.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:36:04 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »
But you get them from the earlier levels of the classes which give you the requirements that are on there...?  I can add them, it just seems redundant.

It ensures forward compatibility with future classes and options that grant only some of those abilities, such as ACFs that trade some of them out. Defensive programming 101.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »
True... well either way I added them.

I'd probably say a mindless creature acts according to its base instincts, unless it's programmed like a golem or something.
Yeah, that's in the rules for not having an Int score... but what are the erased creature's instincts?

While we're on the subject of reprogramming minds though, it might be interesting to have rules for finding out information on the hacker.  Making an opposed Hack check against the hack that started Erase Mind would probably be one way of doing it.  Divinations with a caster level check against the hack check should also work (as well as psionic equivalents.)  Do Medics have a way of detecting magical/psionic effects like that?
Well, another neuromancer could download the new mind and realize it wasn't always in that body... but if you don't know the original dude (which would be a Persuasion check to pull off), Mind Switch doesn't give you ways to figure out that something's changed.  I bet a Streetwise check via Oracle would turn up stuff, though -- you're researching someone on the interwebs and finding out they're different.  Unless the new mind is mind-blanked, though, regular old div should turn up answers.

A feat idea I have for this might be to let the personal sensor count as a psicrystal.
Well, you might end up with more than one personal sensor, which would be confusing.  Maybe make the HackSpider a psicrystal, if you have one?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »
Upload Mind is unusable atm as it requires 4 psionic focuses. You can get at most 3 (your own, Psicrystal Containment, Mindweb). Given the out of combat nature of anything that takes 1 minute to do after some significant setup already, there's no need for any cost of psionic foci anyways.

Yeah, that's in the rules for not having an Int score... but what are the erased creature's instincts?

Given a lack of programming, nor higher instincts separate from the erased mind, I expect most intelligent creatures with their minds wiped would do a lot of nothing. Maybe something like Confusion, but with more incoherent babbling?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
Upload Mind is unusable atm as it requires 4 psionic focuses. You can get at most 3 (your own, Psicrystal Containment, Mindweb). Given the out of combat nature of anything that takes 1 minute to do after some significant setup already, there's no need for any cost of psionic foci anyways.
Took out the focus req.

Given a lack of programming, nor higher instincts separate from the erased mind, I expect most intelligent creatures with their minds wiped would do a lot of nothing. Maybe something like Confusion, but with more incoherent babbling?
How's that?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
I imagine someone mind wiped would stand around and do nothing staring off into space.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
One of my first thoughts for a mindless creature would be it'd probably loll about until it got hungry or something, then it'd go looking for something the creature would normally go for which will probably be cooked food.  A mindless policeman might go after donuts.

I dunno really...

Another thought is if the creature liked shiny stuff then they'd be really easy to distract while mindless.