Author Topic: Dead Earth: A New Beginning  (Read 66592 times)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
Dead Earth: A New Beginning
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »
An epic recap if you need to catch up-
(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Earth: A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Lily takes a peek out the window, trying to catch a sight of anything by the light of the moon. The night must be cloudy for there isn't much moon light. Not much light at all beyond the dim light of a nearby street light. Squinting she barely notices a couple silhouettes but she is able to make out another light pole but it seems a car had struck it and ruined it, no light came from it. No wonder it was so dark out there.

Suddenly the sound of violent coughing catches her ears. Coming from the civilian room, where Chuck and the Dr. Reagan had taken residence. Brave men. She ignores the sound, someone had been coughing most of the night, albeit not so loudly or violently. Hopefully it would quit soon, as they already knew sound attracted-

"RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEETTTTTTT"!

"What", Lily spun as the loud sound of violent retching was heard from the hold. Suddenly cries of distress and the crying of the only child in the group of civilians was heard as the loud retching repeated several times over.

Then a woman's voice drenched in fear screamed without restraint from the hold.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mystic Lemur

• I wanna be a fire truck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »
"Jesus, everybody calm the FUCK DOWN!" Builder stands up. He grumbles, mostly to himself. "If someone's sick, let's get them to the bathroom. If they're dying, they need to get in line with the rest of us."

Just in case, he'll pull out his trusty wrench. <Don't want to scare them even worse with that bigass knife.>
"I'm about to whip somebody's ass/ Oh, I'm about to whip somebody's ass/ You better just leave me alone, or you're gonna have ta send me home/ Cause I'm about to whip somebody's ass" -Ray's Song

Offline maggieloo72

• Seek the truth and challenge the norm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:48 AM »
Lily moves quickly to the doorway of the civilian room, drawing her weapon as she moves--just in case. "SHHH! Keep quiet or we'll have company."
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »
Having just laid down after a very long day, Chuck reluctantly lifts his head.  His years at the firehouse have left him accustomed to sudden awakenings, but for whatever reason it was difficult to even open his eyes right now.  After rubbing his eyes with one hand, he looks around to see what the commotion is about.

Actions
Status
(click to show/hide)
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline shallowesoul

• the past is never dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »
Hudson jumps from his cot and walks to where the civilians are sleeping with one of his pistols in hand. "What the fuck was that? sounded like an animal just died."

Actions
(click to show/hide)
status
(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
The party arises and Lily, Chuck, and Hudson all  take a look around the civilian room. The civilians have now scrambled off the floor and huddled themselves against the walls as the young man Thomas violently throws up black speckled bloody looking material. His father Bernard is still nearby him, looking on helplessly and crying softly. A woman who had introduced herself to Lily earlier that day, Kathy, lies next to Thomas. She is seizing, shaking uncontrollably. Besides Bernard, Chuck is the only person who hasn't moved yet, he lays nearby them, his eyes now wide as he takes in the sight by the dim light of a nearby lamp that someone had put a sheet over to reduce the light. Less light meant less chance of being seen. Unfortunately all the screaming had probably destroyed any chance they would remain hidden. Dr. Reagan still stands in the corner, rifle now in his hands, he looks around to the other party members, obviously having no clue what to do.

"You know what happens after she stops seizing", Viona said appearing next to Hudson and Lily. The shadows framed her beautiful face, hiding her expression. "You know what you must do", she said as she looked to Lily. She presses something into her hands and Lily realizes it is the syringe the doctor wanted to inject them with earlier in the day. The one that would kill them...for good. "You're the one who allowed them this suffering. Now you're the one who should make it right". Even with the dim light Lily can make out Viona's bright eyes. They were icy hard. "Then we can decide if the barriers will hold or if we should retreat. We wouldn't have to make that decision had you listened to me earlier today. Do it now, or would you rather wait until they turn so you don't feel bad about killing them". Her voice is as hard as her eyes, made harder by her thick accent.

(click to show/hide)

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »
Lily grabs hold of the syringe. The damned woman was right--it was her fault they're going through this agonizing pain and wretched transformation. Better to die before truly being undead. Besides, what would happen to their soul, whatever that is? "Is this enough for both?" Lily asks Viona. But before hearing the answer or seeing the satisfied look on Viona's face, Lily calls to the men, "Can we pin these two down? I didn't want it to come to this, but we have to do this her way to remain unnoticed. Unless anyone has a better idea?"

Status
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mystic Lemur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
Builder nods, and moves toward the two. "Damn, Bernard. I'm so sorry. Sorry it has to be like this." As he gets close he looks at the other man. "Tom, right? Thomas? I'm going to need you to make some room, here, okay."

Actions:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"I'm about to whip somebody's ass/ Oh, I'm about to whip somebody's ass/ You better just leave me alone, or you're gonna have ta send me home/ Cause I'm about to whip somebody's ass" -Ray's Song

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »
Hudson holsters his pistols and attempts to hold down Thomas. "im sorry that we have to do this but if we dont it would just draw unwanted attention or cause harm to us all. if there were another way we would gladly use it, but to our knowledge there isn't. we can give them a proper burial in the morning if you like."

after Lily injects Thomas and Kathy Hudson stands at attention and looks over toward Bernard and gives his condolences. as well as a salute to honor his deceased son. "Im sure if he had the choice he would have chosen the same thing, to keep himself from harming anyone."

Actions
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
Chuck moves across the room to assist Hudson in restraining Thomas.  He does so quietly, as any disparaging comment might further freak out the civilians.  As he grabs hold of the man, the deja vu sets in...

They were sleeping in the bar when Bob turned.  Poor bastard was bitten earlier that night.  Chuck did what he could to prevent the spread of the infection, but it wasn't enough.  It was all Chuck could do to hold him down.  And then there was the screaming.  The horrible noise attracted more infected from outside.  No barricades on that door.  Nothing but a flimsy lock preventing intruders from waltzing in.  That was also the night that Chuck was bitten.  It seems like a lifetime ago, but two days can be a lifetime when you're fighting for your life.

Actions
(click to show/hide)
Status
(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 04:54:49 AM »
As the men move in and begin to hold the two down the other civilians cry softly, some bitterly. It is obvious they are afraid. Afraid of the evil that lurks in the darkness outside and scared at the party's actions. Lily approaches Kathy first. The small woman's seizing was minimal movement under Builder's thick arms. She raises the syringe, taking the woman's arm. A moment's hesitation passes and her and Builder's eyes meet. Was this the right path? They searched each other's eyes for answers but none came so Lily looked back down to Kathy.

"Right there", Dr. Reagan pointed to a vein in her arm. The man had appeared out of nowhere at her side. Lily looked at him and saw tears sliding down the man's face. Strange, although Lily felt despair as well. Lily slid the syringe needle into the woman's arm and pushed the plunger. The woman slowly stopped moving until Builder released her and held his hands above her, waiting for her to move again. But she did not. She was dead. Forever.

Lily stood up and walked over to Thomas. "No, no no", Bernard sobbed, "My son", the old man cried as he struggled pathetically against Hudson's and Chuck's grips around his arms. At Hudson's words the man nodded slowly. "He no wuld 'ant to 'urt no one", he said in his thick cajun accent then fell to his knees to weep with his face in his hands, unable to watch. Hudson started, surprised at the turn, he looked at Chuck but Chuck looked visibly shaken, deep in his own thoughts.

Lily moved to inject Thomas when the young man stopped retching for a minute. As she did he looked up at her but said nothing. His eyes were red, several blood vessels had popped. She slid the syringe into his arm, he stayed completely still. When she was finished he whispered something in a hoarse voice, a voice so weak. (Lily-Listen Check DC 13)

As Lily finished she stood to her feet. The other civilians were all watching her, still crying softly to themselves. There were now eight of them. Four men, three women, and one child. The few men tried to comfort the women but it was obvious they were shaken too. The child was crying, a bit too loudly really but the woman trying to comfort it was failing miserably. Brock was among them, trying to calm them down and get them quiet, the man wanted to survive. Lily turned and saw Viona standing in the doorway, her face once again shrouded in shadows. Her voice never sounded soft with that thick accent and her icy tones but when she spoke her voice seemed...warmer.

"Get these people quiet. If we are lucky we can hide until morning". A slight pause. "You did the right thing". With that she turned and spun, receding into the shadows of the police station.

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Lily turns back around to look at the shaken citizens. "I'm sorry it had to happen this way. And I'm sorry you all had to see it. But, I hope you know that it was done in the best interest for the safety of us all. We wouldn't have had a chance if they had turned." Her brows furrow and her eyes go to the ground, also remembering poor Bob... "Be thankful the rest of us are still alive and can try to survive. Now, please, keep very quiet and we'll see what tomorrow brings."

She moves away from the group and toward Hudson. "You got the next watch? I'm going to try to relax after that... And think of how to get us out of here..." Lily looks away and goes quiet, stepping out of the room to escape the weight of what she had just done. At least we stopped them from harming others, she thinks to herself, trying to rationalize her ending the lives of three innocent, albeit harmful, people.

Offline Mystic Lemur

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
Builder takes the time to find some kind of covering for the two bodies. Maybe they could try to bury them in the morning.

He leans against the front door, shotgun in his lap, and tries to drift back to sleep. <I'm too beat to take watch, but if anything tries to come in this way, I'll be the first one up.> As he drifts off, he wonders what the new day will bring, and how many more lives will have to be destroyed before they could rebuild...

(click to show/hide)

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
in reply to Lily Hudson ask "so wheres the armory for the station? I was thinking about checking out whats left in there, if i dont see anything outside of course."

with the start of Hudson' watch he heads to the front of the station to take a look outside. when finished with that he starts his way towards the armory. he thinks to himself no sense in leaving something here that could be of use. and its not like anyone  would notice something missing anyways.

actions
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:24:39 AM »
Sluggish and very weary, Chuck silently returns to the spot where he was sleeping soundly a few moments ago.  Looking up and noticing the panicked looks of the civilians, he moves his makeshift bed between them and lays down.  Perhaps his presence will provide some level of comfort.  He's far too tired to think it over any further.  Fighting the memories of those who have turned, he eventually returns to some semblance of rest.

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:17 AM »
As everyone settles back into their places the silence becomes deafening again. An eerie silence, it felt dark, like the calm before a bad storm. Lily points the way to the armory, too tired to even answer Hudson, she had more important things on her mind. Sleep. She lays down and turns away from the others. She seemed to be struggling with something. Hudson hoped she could relax enough to get that rest she needed. As Lily laid down she recalled the words Thomas had whispered to her in those last moments.
(click to show/hide)

Hudson turns and sees Builder sleeping in front of the door with the shotgun in his lap. Well that provided some measure of comfort. The man was built like a brick shit house. Hudson took a peek out the shades of a window but couldn't make out much still. Why the hell was it so fucking dark? He heard nothing either. That worried him. Surely something was going on.

In the civilian room Dr. Reagan took his place once again in the corner and Brock seemed to have decided to stick close too as he took a place by the entrance. With Chuck in the middle again the civilians slowly began peel off the walls. They were still afraid but it looked like they were prepared to move on. Except Bernard. He still wept silently.

Hudson walked in the direction of the weapons locker room and opened the door. It was dark inside but he found a couple guns. No silencers or anything else though.
(click to show/hide)

Hudson returns from the locker room, disappointed but feeling something tug at his memory. He knew why there wasn't any silencers or an AK in there, if only he could remember! The rest of his shift passes and as it does the sun rises above the horizon, destroying that dark feeling although Hudson knows better to think it was safe. The sun behind the mountains was always a gorgeous sight to behold in the Mile High City. But what would the day bring? What was the plan?

Brock and Dr. Reagan met each other in the middle room, both of them trying to stretch out kinks and sore muscles from sleeping uncomfortably. "You sleep good"? Brock asked.

"What do you think"? Reagan asked. "God I still want a cup of coffee, can I have that semblance of a normal day"?

"Shutting the mouth now, yes?" Viona spoke in her sharp accent as she walked into their midst, "we have wasted too much day light already".

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
Hudson grabs the weapons and ammo from the armory and takes them to the table where the extra ones had been set the night before. keeping four of the 9mm clips for him self, he hands the other two of them to Lily when she wakes.

"It was a little too quiet last night, i think we should be on guard whenever we get ready to leave." Hudson says as he walks into the group that have already awoken.

Actions
(click to show/hide)

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Lily rises with a bit more sanity and serenity this morning, especially after realizing what Thomas had whispered. Taking the rounds from Hudson, she says, "Coffee sure does sound good right now... But I think we'll be on edge enough." Lily peeks outside and listens for any sounds. The sun was already higher in the sky and they'd have to hurry if there was any hope of escaping unnoticed. She does a quick head count and looks to Viona and the guys. "So. There's the bus and the truck, correct? The former will obviously fit us all, but is quite conspicuous... If we cram in the other and take some back roads,--Chuck, surely you know some as a firefighter--do you think we have a better chance of getting away?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mystic Lemur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
Builder wakes feeling much better than dead. In relative terms anyway. Stretching out his sore neck, knees, legs (come to think of it, what wasn't sore?) he makes one last sweep of the station. <I guess it would be too much to hope for some real armor.> he thinks, as he fingers the holes in his old welding suit.

Mechanics:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)