Author Topic: Ætherforge (3.5 base)  (Read 37332 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Ætherforge (3.5 base)
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
As requested by littha here.  Still extremely WIP.

ÆTHERFORGE

"The æther around us is a weapon, one that I will use against you."
-Hargrove Wynne, ætherforge

An ætherforge wields æther, the energy surrounding and suffusing all of creation, created when the Universe exploded into being.

MAKING AN ÆTHERFORGE
An ætherforge is primarily a support character, buffing his allies and controlling the battlefield.
Abilities: Wis > Con > Int = Dex > Str = Cha
Races: While humans and gnomes are quite likely to be ætherforges, because they are likely to try new things, special mention must be made of the Dwærrow, who have a racial inclination.
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: As sorcerer
Starting Age: As sorcerer

Class Skills
The Ætherforge's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int

Table: The ÆtherforgeHD: d8

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+0
+1
+1
+2
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6/+1
+6/+1
+7/+2
+7/+2
+8/+3
+8/+3
+9/+4
+9/+4
+10/+5

Fort
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Ref
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Will
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Special
Æther forging
Æthereal view
Bonus metaforge feat
Æthereal essence
Æthereal transformation
Forged body
Bonus metaforge feat
Æthereal presence
Improved æthereal transformation
Æthereal awareness
Bonus metaforge feat
Improved forged body
Greater æthereal transformation
Æthereal sustenance
Bonus metaforge feat
Improved æthereal awareness
Immaculate forging
Greater forged body
Bonus metaforge feat
Æthereal being

Æther

Forgings
Known

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An ætherforge is proficient with simple weapons, all non-exotic armor, and shields (but not tower shields).

Æther forging (Su): An ætherforge draws in æther from the field of energy permeating the Universe and shapes it into magical effects called forgings.  Forging æther requires a standard action which provokes attacks of opportunity.  The ætherforge can make a Concentration check (DC 15 + units of æther bound to the forging) to forge defensively.  At the beginning of each day, an ætherforge draws in 1 or more units of æther into his æther pool, as shown on the table above; he can then bind the æther into forgings of various duration.  Units of æther remain bound to whatever forging they were used for, and return to the pool 1 round after the effect expires, available at that point to be used again.  The ætherforge can unforge an effect with a non-instantaneous duration as a move action, ending the forging prematurely and returning the newly-freed æther to his pool 1 round later.

An ætherforge's facility with æther is represented by his Forger level, which is equal to his levels in this class.  The power of a particular forging is determined by how many units of æther the ætherforge uses to forge it; he may bind a maximum number of units of æther equal to half his Forger level (rounded down, minimum 1) to any given effect.  The ætherforge begins by knowing 3 forgings of his choice from the list below; he learns additional forgings as he increases in experience, as shown on the table above. He must be able to bind the minimum amount of æther to a forging to be able to learn it (not including temporary boosts like the Force Æther feat).  The save DC of any forging which requires a save is 10 + 1/2 forger level + the forger's Wisdom modifier.  As supernatural abilities, forgings are not subject to spell resistance.

Æthereal view (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, an ætherforge becomes attuned to eddies in the æther even when there is no light source.  He gains darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

Bonus metaforge feat: An ætherforge gains a bonus metaforge feat at 3rd level, and again at every 4 levels after.

Æthereal essence (Su): At 4th level, an ætherforge's body begins to undergo physical changes, as he learns to use æther to maintain his own bodily processes.  The ætherforge gains fast healing equal to one third the number of æther units remaining in his pool (and not bound to a forging) at any given time.

Æthereal transformation (Ex): Upon reaching 5th level, more changes have affected the ætherforge's physiology, as he begins to replace portions of his anatomy with pure æther.  He becomes immune to poison and sleep effects.

Forged body (Ex): Starting at 6th level, the ætherforge's body continues to transform.  He has a 25% chance to negate critical hits and precision damage.

Æthereal presence (Su): At 8th level, an ætherforge's force of will surrounds him with a constant swirl of æther.  He gains a deflection bonus to armor class equal to his Wisdom modifier at all times.

Improved æthereal transformation (Ex): Upon reaching 9th level, more changes are wrought on the ætherforge's body.  He becomes immune to paralysis.

Æthereal awareness (Ex): Starting at 10th level, an ætherforge becomes even more closely attuned to eddies in the æther which alert him to the presence and movement of creatures around him.  He becomes immune to flanking, and gains blindsense at a range of 5 feet times his Wisdom modifier.

Improved forged body (Ex): Upon reaching 12th level, even more of an ætherforge's body has been replaced by pure æther.  His chance to negate critical hits and precision damage increases to 50%.

Greater æthereal transformation (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, an ætherforge's physiology has changed sufficiently that he becomes immune to stunning.

Æthereal sustenance (Ex): An ætherforge of 14th level or higher has learned to draw more of the energy his body needs directly from the æther.  He no longer needs to drink or eat, and gains the benefit of 8 hours of sleep from only 1 actual hour.  However, time spent in a dead magic zone or antimagic field counts as time without food or water, as these environments suppress the æther he requires.

Improved æthereal awareness (Ex): Starting at 16th level, an ætherforge's blindsense improves to blindsight at the same distance.

Immaculate forging (Su): Beginning at 17th level, an ætherforge can, in an emergency, produce forgings with less æther than would normally be possible.  Once per day, the ætherforge can activate this ability as a free action; when he does so, for a number of rounds equal to his Wisdom modifier, every unit æther he binds to a forging counts double (though he is still limited by the normal maximum amount of æther he can bind to a single forging).  For example, the ætherforge could bind 8 units of æther to a forging, but remove only 4 units from his pool.

Greater forged body (Ex): The body of an ætherforge of 18th level or higher is nearly completely made of pure æther.  His chance of negating critical hits and precision damage increases to 75%.

Æthereal being (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, an ætherforge becomes a being made entirely of pure æther.  He gains the Elemental (Augmented) type, though he is treated as having his original type whenever it would be beneficial to him.  Unlike other elementals, the ætherforge can still be raised or resurrected as normal.

In addition, the ætherforge is naturally invisible, though he can suppress or resume this invisibility as a swift action.  This invisibility cannot be dispelled and functions in an antimagic field, but a creature under the effect of true seeing can see the ætherforge as normal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:34:24 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ætherforge (3.5 base)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
FORGINGS

Minimum 1 æther:
  • Æther Barrier - Grant bonus to saves.
  • Ætherbeast - Form a construct out of æther to attack your enemies.
  • Æther Diffusion - Grant bonus to base speed.
  • Æthereal Fortification - Grant temporary hit points.
  • Ætherfire Aura - Your target's attacks deal extra force damage.
  • Æther Probe - Identify magical auras and effects.
  • Æther Push - Bull rush an opponent.
  • Æther Reinforcement - Grant enhancement bonus to armor.
  • Æther Shard - Hurl a shard of æther to damage opponent.
  • Weapon of Æther - Create æther weapon which attacks your opponent.
Minimum 2 æther:
  • Æther Ablation - Opponents dispel this forging instead of others.
  • Æther Cap - Form a shield of æther around your head to grant a bonus to saves vs mind-affecting effects.
  • Æther Contraction - Increase the gravity in an area, hampering attacks and movement.
  • Æthereal Advantage - Your allies gain luck bonuses and your opponents suffer luck penalties.
  • Æther Fog - Create a cloud of fog, decreasing visibility and granting concealment.
  • Æther Fortress - Fold æther into an extradimensional space that you and others can hide in.
  • Æther Inflation - Increase your target's size.
  • Æther Launch - Fling objects or creatures.
  • Essence of Æther - Grant a +4 bonus to one or more ability scores.
Minimum 3 æther:
  • Æthereal Deflation - Reduce your target's size.
  • Æther Dissolution - Dispel magical effects in an area.
  • Æther Flux - Grant subject a miss chance.
  • Æther Jump - Teleport your target through the æther.
  • Æther Redirection - Target can change its own gravity, walking on walls and flying.
  • Æther Revelation - Subject can sense everything in 60 feet.
  • Æther Spy - Create a magical sensor out of æther to view a distant location.
  • Æther Tether - Anchor your opponent to the ground.
  • Wall of Æther - Make a wall which blocks ranged attacks and flying creatures' movement.
Minimum 4 æther:
  • Æther Cache - Access your own personal extradimensional cupboard.
  • Æther Redirection, Forced - Reverse target's gravity, making them fall upwards.
  • Æther Retribution - Absorb energy damage and redirect it at attackers.
  • Æther Static - Make spellcasting difficult in area.
  • Æther Trap - Trap target in an æther cage.
  • Mindspike of Æther - Drive æther into your target's brains, disrupting their thoughts.
Minimum 5 æther:
  • Æther Bubble - Carry yourself and others around in a flying bubble of æther.
  • Æther Piston - Greatly increase gravity in a narrow cylinder to crush opponents.
  • Æther Puppet - Form a glove of æther around your target to control their movements.
  • Æther Shear - Create a curtain of æther which damages creatures that pass through it.
Minimum 6 æther:
  • Æther Passage - Create a tunnel of æther through a barrier.
  • Æther Pressure - Condense a cloud of æther to impeded movement and damage creatures in the area.
  • Æther Recall - Unforge to teleport to place where it was forged.
  • Æther Stasis - Encase a creature or object in a stasis field of æther.
  • Æther Storm -  Inflict negative levels in an area.
Minimum 7 æther:
  • Æther Implosion - Cause a creature to implode.
  • Chains of Æther - Create æthereal chains which grapple creatures.
  • Infuse Æther - Use æther to produce magical effects in an antimagic field.
Minimum 8 æther:
  • Æther Acceleration - Grant the target 1 round of accelerated time.
  • Æther Rip - Remove æther from your target to your pool, damaging target in the process.
  • Æther Spiral - Dispel magical effects to gain temporary æther.
Minimum 9 æther:
  • Ætherblade - A gigantic blade of æther slices through opponents in a line.
  • Æther Vacuum - Rip open a vortex in the æther; creatures sucked in are trapped in a bewildering maze.
Descriptions, part 1:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:21:28 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
FORGINGS

Descriptions, part 2:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:06:29 AM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:33 PM »
ÆTHERFORGE & PRESTIGE CLASSES
(click to show/hide)

ÆTHERFORGE IN PATHFINDER
(click to show/hide)

ITEMS
(click to show/hide)

FEATS
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:09:32 PM by sirpercival »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
That is spectacularly awesome, I couldn't have hoped for something better. Thanks

Ideas for class features:
1. A way of expanding effects to multiple targets by expending more aether
2. Probably want to split some of the capstone effects off, ac bonuses at level 20 are not that great. Elemental is probably also a better fit than outsider considering crit immunity

Forge ideas:
1. Aether push, ranged bull rush
2. Aether launch, telekinesis type attack for ranged damage
3. Forced aether redirection, for use on enemies. Like reverse gravity
4. Aether implosion, fort save or die
5. Aether deflection, like wind wall

Hope that helps, will suggest more tomorrow when I finally get my pc set up.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
That is spectacularly awesome, I couldn't have hoped for something better. Thanks
  :birthday Yesssss!  I was worried I was going in completely the wrong direction.

Ideas for class features:
1. A way of expanding effects to multiple targets by expending more aether
This is already built into some of the forgings; I could make it a class feature for the rest, or I could turn it into a Metaforge feat.  Thoughts?
2. Probably want to split some of the capstone effects off, ac bonuses at level 20 are not that great. Elemental is probably also a better fit than outsider considering crit immunity
Good call on the Elemental, and I'll move the AC bonus earlier.

Forge ideas:
1. Aether push, ranged bull rush
2. Aether launch, telekinesis type attack for ranged damage
3. Forced aether redirection, for use on enemies. Like reverse gravity
4. Aether implosion, fort save or die
5. Aether deflection, like wind wall

Hope that helps, will suggest more tomorrow when I finally get my pc set up.
Perfect, I'll write some more.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
As for the dead levels problem, you could do like Dread Necro does for Lichdom and give some of the benefits spread out over the class instead of lumping them all at once.  Something like free scaling Fortification starting around level 6, low light and/or darkvision at low levels, immunity to flanking at level 12 or so...
I also would consider upping the Hit Dice to d8's, matching the Elemental type (and also the Cleric, which I feel like this class is loosely based off). 
Oh, and instead of calling all the forgings "Aether X", maybe just call them "X"? 
If you were feeling really creative, you could pull a leaf out of the Truenamer's book and make each forging "reversible," ie when you know Contraction you also automatically know Diffusion.  That would double the amount of forgings you have to come up with though. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:36:51 PM »
As for the dead levels problem, you could do like Dread Necro does for Lichdom and give some of the benefits spread out over the class instead of lumping them all at once.  Something like free scaling Fortification starting around level 6, low light and/or darkvision at low levels, immunity to flanking at level 12 or so...
I also would consider upping the Hit Dice to d8's, matching the Elemental type (and also the Cleric, which I feel like this class is loosely based off). 
Nice ideas, will do!
Oh, and instead of calling all the forgings "Aether X", maybe just call them "X"? 
If you were feeling really creative, you could pull a leaf out of the Truenamer's book and make each forging "reversible," ie when you know Contraction you also automatically know Diffusion.  That would double the amount of forgings you have to come up with though.
I don't intend for every forging to be Æther X, it's just worked out that most of them are...

I thought about the reversible thing, but didn't want to go there.  Lol.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
OK, a bunch of new forgings and class features up.

I'm thinking many of the feats will be metaforge feats; any other suggestions?

EDIT: New forgings planned for when I finish taking a walk with my son:

Æther Fog
Æther Storm
Æther Spiral
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:01:58 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
The various defensive forgings should have durations greater than rounds/level. Given the Incarnum-like refreshability of forgings, I'm not sure why any of them have such short durations. Barring the offensive forgings, anything up to an hour or so should be good. But really, though, your average run of the mill defensive ability (not the really really strong ones) is at the edge of useless when you have to spend a standard action in combat to use it, especially if it doesn't even last the full combat.

Forgings should be sorted in some way by minimum aether, so you can show which ones are higher levels effects.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
The various defensive forgings should have durations greater than rounds/level. Given the Incarnum-like refreshability of forgings, I'm not sure why any of them have such short durations. Barring the offensive forgings, anything up to an hour or so should be good. But really, though, your average run of the mill defensive ability (not the really really strong ones) is at the edge of useless when you have to spend a standard action in combat to use it, especially if it doesn't even last the full combat.

Forgings should be sorted in some way by minimum aether, so you can show which ones are higher levels effects.

Hmm... good point. I'll change Diffusion, Fog, Redirection, Reinforcement, Static, Wall, and Weapon to 10 minutes/level.  How does that sound?

Would a list by min æther be sufficient, or should I just not worry about alphabetical?

EDIT: I lied about making them all 10 minutes, but I did increase the durations.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:26:59 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »
Yeah, a minimum aether list should be fine, much like how spells are sorted by level on class lists, but listed alphabetically in the full descriptions.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Æther Piston - Greatly increase gravity in a narrow cylinder to crush opponents (possibly with a larger size = more damage clause).
Æther Vacuum - Rip open a vortex à la reality maelstrom; creatures sucked in are affected as by maze.

Something like those, or am I barking up the wrong thematic tree?
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
Æther Piston - Greatly increase gravity in a narrow cylinder to crush opponents (possibly with a larger size = more damage clause).
Æther Vacuum - Rip open a vortex à la reality maelstrom; creatures sucked in are affected as by maze.

Something like those, or am I barking up the wrong thematic tree?

Oh, those are awesome.  Yes, definitely correct.  Could use more mid-level stuff, too.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »
Nice concept, even though, like Hanako's new homebrew, the ideas are very similar to psionics and incarnum. First of all, considering the pattern for æther / level on the chart, you should end up with 15 at level 20, not 16. Now, on to the suggestions for more forgings:

• Ætherbeast - Creates a monster made of living æther that attacks for you. Either give it a minimum of 1 and have the creatures get better with imbued æther, or make a different forging for each kind of monster. As for the monsters themselves, it would probably be easiest to apply a template to the Summon Monster monsters, but no matter what you do this forging is a must.
  • Mind of Æther - Fill your enemies' heads with too much æther so that they can't think straight.
  • Ætherial Inflation/Deflation - Fill the gaps in a creature's body with æther, increasing their size, or empty them of æther to shrink them.
  • Æther Puppet - Move the æther around your enemies to make them move involuntarily.
  • Æther Pressure - Make the æther condense in a bubble with high pressure to do damage every round.
  • Æther Eye - Become so attuned to the æther that you can scry on any creature in contact with it (so basically anything) within range.

Hopefully, these gave you a few ideas of forging effects that you hadn't considered. Sorry if some of them are blatantly ripped off of spells, but what isn't nowadays?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:11:40 AM by TheGeometer »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 02:47:08 AM »
You might want to delay getting your aether back from an effect until the end of your next turn. At the moment you can just spam any forge with an instantaneous duration

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 03:43:54 AM »
Out of curiosity... how are you typing ash? (the AE combination letter.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
You might want to delay getting your aether back from an effect until the end of your next turn. At the moment you can just spam any forge with an instantaneous duration

Still takes a standard action to do, or swift if you pay double.

But you mean a 1-round delay?  Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

Out of curiosity... how are you typing ash? (the AE combination letter.)

On a Mac, option-' (or shift-option-' for uppercase).

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »
Nice concept, even though, like Hanako's new homebrew, the ideas are very similar to psionics and incarnum.
Yes, I recognize this; however, I think the way the mechanics end up working, with the interplay between the two, turns into an unusual and interesting resource management system.

At least, I hope so.  ;)

First of all, considering the pattern for æther / level on the chart, you should end up with 15 at level 20, not 16.
I know -- I added an extra at 20th level (a lot of resource progressions are inconsistent) for some reason that I can't recall right now.

Other than that wonkiness, how does the æther progression actually look?  I just pulled something out of the air before I even wrote the class features or any forgings.  Do they need more? Less?

Now, on to the suggestions for more forgings:

• Ætherbeast - Creates a monster made of living æther that attacks for you. Either give it a minimum of 1 and have the creatures get better with imbued æther, or make a different forging for each kind of monster. As for the monsters themselves, it would probably be easiest to apply a template to the Summon Monster monsters, but no matter what you do this forging is a must.
  • Mind of Æther - Fill your enemies' heads with too much æther so that they can't think straight.
  • Ætherial Inflation/Deflation - Fill the gaps in a creature's body with æther, increasing their size, or empty them of æther to shrink them.
  • Æther Puppet - Move the æther around your enemies to make them move involuntarily.
  • Æther Pressure - Make the æther condense in a bubble with high pressure to do damage every round.
  • Æther Eye - Become so attuned to the æther that you can scry on any creature in contact with it (so basically anything) within range.

Hopefully, these gave you a few ideas of forging effects that you hadn't considered. Sorry if some of them are blatantly ripped off of spells, but what isn't nowadays?
Awesome stuff!  I'll add these.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
I think the numbers for Forgings Known could use a re-working.  10 seems kind of low, especially when 3 of them are first level.  The way it is now, there's a good chance that a character might not know any forgings of 6th level, which seems kind of dumb. 
Also, I think that it's important to make sure new forgings known come on even levels, so that you can pick abilities from the next tier. 

I'd be tempted to give new Forgings Known every level, for a total of 23 at level 20.  That might be too much, so at the very least I'd do 3 + 1 every even numbered level, for a total of 13 at level 20.  That way you get a new Forging (of the highest tier you could handle) every time the Sorcerer gets a new spell level.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.