Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion thread  (Read 9681 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestion thread
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Why does the Magician archetype's Spellshape Strike function so differently from its core spellshaping analogue, the Spellshape Champion's Spellshape Channeling? For consistency and to avoid confusion, if nothing else, I'd recommend changing Spellshape Strike to work as Spellshape Channeling. If you want to add the bonus damage on top, that should be a separate class feature (possibly replacing Strike of Justice; they're already mutually exclusive in usage, anyways).

Offline zhdarkstar

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »
Having looked over both classes and abilities, I think that the difference in function is justified by the difference in class roles. The Spellshape Champion is pretty much a close range character while the Magician Sentai can be built for multiple ranges. Spellshape Channeling offers no incentive to channel with a ranged weapon as only melee weapons count towards shaping formulae, whereas Spellshape Strike counts all weapon types towards formulae. In an all-Sentai game with only one Magician, the Magician might opt to grab a composite bow for their Sentai Weapon to shape his formulae from a long distance to stay out of harm's way while being able to UMD for spells outside the scope of his spellshaping circles. Whereas in a game where the Magician is not the only caster in the party, the Magician can then become a melee shaper in a similar vein to the Spellshape Champion.

Flexibility in specialization is one of the key elements of the Sentai class. That's partially due to the reality that a game using this class is more likely to be mostly Sentai even though the Sentai plays well with other classes. So I think TMK worded Spellshape Strike the way it is to accommodate the highly customizable nature of the class.

Edit: Your idea of replacing Strike Justice wouldn't work because Rider Effect and multiple Sentai Abilities are tied into SoJ type and damage. The Magician is there for Magiranger fans and to add a caster option without deviating from the base class too much. The only archetype that replaces SoJ is the Psycho and it just replaces it with a functionally identical ability with a double-edge.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:10:37 PM by zhdarkstar »

Offline The-Mage-King

• Honorary Mod
  • Oi! Ask me to proofread!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Why does the Magician archetype's Spellshape Strike function so differently from its core spellshaping analogue, the Spellshape Champion's Spellshape Channeling? For consistency and to avoid confusion, if nothing else, I'd recommend changing Spellshape Strike to work as Spellshape Channeling. If you want to add the bonus damage on top, that should be a separate class feature (possibly replacing Strike of Justice; they're already mutually exclusive in usage, anyways).

Mostly for the reasons suggested by Darkstar. Strike of Justice has various effects and abilities linked to it already, which I want to keep seperate from spellshapes, and giving a simple way to channel with both melee and ranged is probably better. It also serves as a decent Stance replacement.