Author Topic: "My faith IS my weapon"...now what?  (Read 5764 times)

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
"My faith IS my weapon"...now what?
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »
So, I'm applying for a game over on Myth-weavers based in Ravnica.  Each of us has to select a guild for our characters and we will be doing...something.  Not entirely sure which.

In any case, my character idea is a crusader of the Selesnya Conclave.  Since the game is gestalt, I figured "why not" and am probably going to go centaur for race. 

In any case, here is the improtant info:

Gestalt level 12, RHD and LA are on one side of the gestalt.
Armor as DR in place, plus we get DR1/4HD.  DR applies against all forms of attack.
3d6 bell curve instead of 1d20
bonus feat at level 2
Fractional BAB and saves
no flaws
no more than 4 classes/PrC's total (race/templates not included in this limit)
all books open, only WotC online stuff (not all, but Soulbound Weapon I got approved).

What I'm thinking of currently is a Psychic Warrior 12||centaur 6/Crusader 6, though the classes in general are up for debating (race I will probably stick with, or at least something very similar).  I'm strongly considering using the Soulbound Weapon ACF, given the high flexibility that comes from that power.  I do have some questions, though.

1. Is Midnight Augmentation worthwhile in this circumstance?  SinceCall Weapon is a 1st level power, I can only reduce the augmentation cost by 1, no matter how much essentia I want to invest.  It does give me the flexibility of choosing which power I want to enhance each day, however, so it is more flexible than that.

2. I'm considering a lance as the weapon choice, since all charge attacks would deal double damage with it.  The problem is when I can't charge.  I know the Lance lets me threaten at 10 feet and my hooves at 5ft, but given the lack of actual damage on the natural weapons...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:10:04 PM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline ShubNiggurath

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: "My faith IS my weapon"...now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
2. I'm considering a lance as the weapon choice, since all charge attacks would deal double damage with it.  The problem is when I can't charge.  I know the Lance lets me threaten at 10 feet and my hooves at 5ft, but given the lack of actual damage on the natural weapons...

Centaur is large, so a lance should threaten 20' and your natural weapons 10'.
I would say that if you manage to build pounce (1 barbarian level) into your build you probably want to go with a normal (non-reach) weapon to be able to follow up with your natural weapons.
If you don't manage to get pounce though (and with the 4 class upper limit it will be tough) you probably want the lance AND a normal weapon + quickdraw so on round 1 you charge with the lance, then drop it, draw your greatsword and full attack

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »
When you say nothing "setting specific," do you mean nothing that appears in a setting source, or nothing that mechanically requires a setting? I mean, is PGtF an acceptable source of feats, or is it just that you can't take things that require you to be from certain regions or have knowledge of setting-specific things?

Also, would you be allowed to take mounted combat feats?

If you're concerned that difficult terrain may come into play, then you might wish to consider Martial Stance (Step of the Wind).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:17:42 AM by Drammor »
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • View Profile
    • Horror Movie Fans
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:16:03 AM »

This is inaccurate.  A centaur is Large(Long), meaning it only gets 5' reach.  See this chart for reference.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
When you say nothing "setting specific," do you mean nothing that appears in a setting source, or nothing that mechanically requires a setting? I mean, is PGtF an acceptable source of feats, or is it just that you can't take things that require you to be from certain regions or have knowledge of setting-specific things?

Also, would you be allowed to take mounted combat feats?

If you're concerned that difficult terrain may come into play, then you might wish to consider Martial Stance (Step of the Wind).
"Setting specific" doesn't show up anywhere in my post.  If I can get the DM to approve it, I'm considering a tauric light warhorse (trade 2 points of Str, Dex, and Wis for 2 Con, 2 Int, 1 natural armor, and 10ft of speed, plus my humanoid portion's goodies) instead.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:27:53 AM by snakeman830 »

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
"Setting specific" doesn't show up anywhere in my post.  If I can get the DM to approve it, I'm considering a tauric light warhorse (trade 2 points of Str, Dex, and Wis for 2 Con, 2 Int, 1 natural armor, and 10ft of speed, plus my humanoid portion's goodies) instead.

Huh. So it doesn't. I wonder where I was getting that. Sorry then.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline JohnnyMayHymn

• Former Lord of the Kitchen Sink
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
If you're already a centaur, why not take some hulking hurler to solve your ranged attack woes?
The Emperor
Can you find the Wumpus?

Offline ShubNiggurath

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

This is inaccurate.  A centaur is Large(Long), meaning it only gets 5' reach.  See this chart for reference.

I stand corrected

Offline Tonymitsu

• The Original Distinguished Anarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »

I stand corrected

I thought they did away with those rules in 3.5?  And just made everything take up perfect squares so they could plug the Miniatures?
"The only thing in the entire universe more dangerous than knowledge is ignorance."
--Lord Volkarion Knightcon

Offline kitcik

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »

I stand corrected

I thought they did away with those rules in 3.5?  And just made everything take up perfect squares so they could plug the Miniatures?

Yes, everything takes up perfect squares, but the length of your reach is not necessarily equal to the width of your square.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
I'm applying for Selesnya Guild as well.  :shakefist

But won't there be plenty of psywar powers to help with up close combat?  Heck, even just Expansion will help that damage output a little.  Imp. Natural Attack + Necklace of Natural Attacks perhaps?  Or just Amulet of Mighty Fists, though that is a bit over priced.

Will you be using Spirited Charge?  If so, consider just using a spiked chain for near or far combat.  And then you'll still get to do double damage on a charge obviously.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »
Hey, nothing wrong with a couple of crusaders, Ith.

Unfortunately, almost all of the PsyWar powers that affect natural weapons only affect claws.  I am considering picking up a tentacle whip (aka Simic cytoplast prosthetic), which I can share powers with.  Truthfully, I'm considering having a tentacle whip (aka Simic cytoplast prosthetic) for even more reach and possible damage amplification (if I'm using a lance two-handed, the whip can still make an attack, and although it is unlikely to hit, it's free)

Opposite PsyWar, I'm really not sure what I want.  I considered War Hulk, but I despise No Time to Think.  Heck, I'm also considering War Mind opposite PsyWar.

Spirited Charge is a yes if the DM allows it.  I know that Races of Faerun is specific on that, but the DM may not have it... (It also says I could go for Arcane Archer)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:03:56 PM by snakeman830 »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
Double post, I know, shoot me.

So, here is my current idea.  PsyWar 8/X4||Centaur 6/Elocator 6.  PsyWar 7 and 8 are spaced to fill the dead manifesting levels of Elocator.

Annoyingly, this means I have to use *shudders* Spring Attack..., but I do like the Elocator's class features.  Elocator 7 is my last level in there (extra 5ft step is nice).

For X, I"m not sure what to take.  Pounce is already attainable for a PsyWar, making Barbarian less attractive.  I plan on using Medium or Heavy armor (even with the speed reduction, I'm still faster than most, and I can use Horseshoes of Speed for a constant +30ft), which makes class features that only work in light armor far less desireable.  Since it's opposite a PrC, it has to be a base class.  Any suggestions?  At the moment, I'm thinking Spirit Shaman.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:13:14 PM by snakeman830 »

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
What about the regular Shaman from OA?  4 levels will get you Unarmed Strike, See Ethereal, and Turn Undead, a bonus feat, and let us not forget:  2 domains.  And if you'll have a decent CHA, take the 5th level for CHA to saves.

Grab a feat or two like Animal Devotion for extra fun.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
Has he allowed OA, or has that not been asked yet?

EDIT: Shaman has a very restrictive spell list, and I feel that the Druid list fits the concept better.  Shaman is a neat class, but I'm hesitant to pick it over Spirit Shaman.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:35:34 PM by snakeman830 »

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
Quote from: Markel
Classes: I'm fine with almost anything in a book. No homebrew, no website material. Just books, thanks.
No one has specifically asked about OA yet as far as I know.  But he is pretty liberal about what he is allowing.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »
Now I'm just trying to decide if a Torc of Power Preservation (SRD/XPH version) is worth spending nearly half my starting wealth on (36k out of 88k starting)

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Some ideas:

Planar handbook has an outsider Bariaur which are very centaur-like and only +1 LA.

If you switch your manifesting to INT based and pick up some UMD, there are some very nice horseshoes in Savage Species that give +10 Int. :D