Author Topic: the end might be near?  (Read 20612 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: the end might be near?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 02:27:52 AM »
They are obligated regardless of your ability to pay, but much like any corporate entity they are then allowed to hound you to death for the money.  In short they'll do whats necessary to save you regardless of how much it costs, and then they send the sharks to tell you to pay up after they max out the bill.

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 02:34:03 AM »
Wow, even with Obamacare? Wasn't that supposed to solve these exact kind of problems?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »
Most of that doesnt take effect until 2014, and there will still be gaps in coverage.  And thats assuming the house doesnt defund it in some way.

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »
Wow, that's very unfortunate.

Well, if all else fails, save up for a portable shot of epinephrine (it comes in an autoinjector). Those are lifesavers in case of Anaphylaxis and Asthma, and they might be cheaper than a visit to the ER. Ask your doctor about prices and consider buying one before spring hits.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:07:51 AM by Shadowknight12 »

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:38 AM »
Wow, even with Obamacare? Wasn't that supposed to solve these exact kind of problems?
Oh, you must have missed the real kick-in-the-nuts with this .... the payment for treatment of chronic conditions decreases each and every time you use it.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »
I can't really provide any medical advice, but I wish the best for you!

Everybody, let's send good vibrations trappedslider's way.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Have you tried any over the counter antihistaminics? And what about corticosteroids? They might be expensive if your health insurance doesn't cover them, but they are good for keeping allergies from flaring up too badly. Also, I don't know how expensive your inhalers might be, but it seems to me that if you can adjust your budget to buy them, they might be a worthwhile investment.

Also, forgive the stupid question from the foreigner, but if you have a very dangerous asthma attack, couldn't you call the ER regardless of the state of your health insurance or medicare? Aren't they obligated to give you temporary healthcare to save your life? If they are, then all you have to do is keep a cellphone with you at all times and 911 on speed dial.

I';m already taking corticosteroids like advair at his highest dosage 500/50,

I think i may way have a way to explain this:

It's like a triangle, it takes three thick sides to keep me alive and without the xiolair one of the thick sides is wibbly wobbly to the point of non existing. The other two sides are barly holding in there.

and any long term use of steroids to keeps me alive has this risk http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/avascular-necrosis/DS00650 which has already caused me to have one hip replaced.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »
*ouch*

i happen to believe in resurrection (defined as the reuniting of the spirit with a perfect immortal body and becoming unable to die.) we are also taught that everyone who has ever been born gets this for free, no strings attached, regardless of affiliation.

i look forward to the time when that happens to you! (hope you don't mind the belief-influenced well wishes. ^^ )

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
i happen to believe in resurrection (defined as the reuniting of the spirit with a perfect immortal body and becoming unable to die.) we are also taught that everyone who has ever been born gets this for free, no strings attached, regardless of affiliation.

i look forward to the time when that happens to you! (hope you don't mind the belief-influenced well wishes. ^^ )

you forget I belive the same as you lol  :)

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
Don't give up hope.....
The human body is a wonderful miracle,  people have recovered from worse situations.....
My mother had to have part of her lungs removed because of tumour,sure her lung capacity is much reduced now and she can exert herself like she used to but she proved the doctor wrong who said she only had 1 year of life after the surgery,and now she is still alive and well after 10 years......
Try to have as much as positive outlook as you can,positive psychology can do miracles for your health......

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »

you forget I belive the same as you lol  :)

>< it is my habit not to assume, even when i may know (if not remember) better. with an active forum such as this, and the other ones i hang out on, it is easy to slip a reference. sorry about that.

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
Oh, you must have missed the real kick-in-the-nuts with this .... the payment for treatment of chronic conditions decreases each and every time you use it.

I don't follow. That sounds like a good thing. If you have a chronic condition, it'd make sense to pay less every time you make use of your healthcare provider.

Have you tried any over the counter antihistaminics? And what about corticosteroids? They might be expensive if your health insurance doesn't cover them, but they are good for keeping allergies from flaring up too badly. Also, I don't know how expensive your inhalers might be, but it seems to me that if you can adjust your budget to buy them, they might be a worthwhile investment.

Also, forgive the stupid question from the foreigner, but if you have a very dangerous asthma attack, couldn't you call the ER regardless of the state of your health insurance or medicare? Aren't they obligated to give you temporary healthcare to save your life? If they are, then all you have to do is keep a cellphone with you at all times and 911 on speed dial.

I';m already taking corticosteroids like advair at his highest dosage 500/50,

I think i may way have a way to explain this:

It's like a triangle, it takes three thick sides to keep me alive and without the xiolair one of the thick sides is wibbly wobbly to the point of non existing. The other two sides are barly holding in there.

and any long term use of steroids to keeps me alive has this risk http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/avascular-necrosis/DS00650 which has already caused me to have one hip replaced.

Wow, holy shit, I had no idea you were already on corticosteroids. And at the highest dosage! That is some strong stuff.

As a last resort, can't you take it to court? Aren't you supposed to be able to litigate anything in America?

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »
Litigation gets quite expensive most of the time. If he could afford it he probably doesn't need the assistance that badly.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
What about media attention? Couldn't he get enough media attention to get a pro bono lawyer to do it for the PR?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »
i think that he meant each time the amount the insurance pays for the treatment of chronic conditions decreases each time he tries to use it. maybe?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
i think that he meant each time the amount the insurance pays for the treatment of chronic conditions decreases each time he tries to use it. maybe?

Based on the context that's my understanding as well.  To rephrase: The insurance pays a smaller part of the treatment each time meaning the person getting the treatment has to pay more out of pocket each time.

One of my first thoughts on why that might be is because they feel that if the treatment is good enough then the person can get to work and start paying for it.  Which -might- happen for -some- but I wouldn't count on it given how many chronic conditions are and how the pharmaceutical industry isn't willing to ease its grip on our collective balls.  Other possibilities include them just being cheap bastards as well as there being some sort of happy middle ground.

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »
What kind of a healthcare system is that??? I mean, I thought I had it bad because public health here is a synonym of decay, disrepair, bitter and hateful staff, a perpetual lack of supplies, funds and budget, endless waiting, more paperwork than it takes to kill a sequoia, iatrogenic infections and overall the absolute worst possible experience you can ever have in a hospital. But, you know, at least it's free.

I never thought I'd say anything positive about my country, huh. Guess there really IS a first time for everything.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:39 AM »
Your country being?

Offline Shadowknight12

• Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
Argentina. Never come here, no matter what they tell you.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 01:02:35 AM »
I'm currently on medicare pat D,and it have covers 90% of the cost of medications leaving me a with 10% the copay,which for the most part is under $5 for meds,however in the case for the xiolair the 10% is as i've stated 440 per shot,which i'm required every two weeks.

What was going on before,was that someone think it may have been the hospital itself who was footing the copayment for all these years stopped doing that for whatever reason.